• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon press conference (1 Viewer)

p.s. just to wet your appetite CanonRumors has an article about the possible upcoming Canon 60D DSLR:

* Canon is not happy with the sales of the Canon 50D
* Canon 60D will ship with a new 12.1 MP APS-H sensor with a size between full frame and APS-C sensor (1.3x crop factor)
* Canon 60D will have the 1D’s autofocus system
* Build quality similar to the Canon 5D Mark II
* 6fps
* Prics: $1999

I've seen this too and I honestly cannot beleive that the 60D will be anything but a 1.6x crop and will have the same 9 point AF system. If Canon put a 1.3x crop and the 1D AF system in it then surely they'll just massively dent sales of the 1D.

Surely that can't be right. How many people on here alone upgraded their 40D to a 50D. Plus a lot of photographers I see around and about also have 50D's now. It must be their best selling model at the moment.

I'm much more excited at the prospect of a new Hybrid IS lens being released. Especially if it is a macro lens. I don't think Canon have an IS macro lens, do they?

Surely that can't be right. How many people on here alone upgraded their 40D to a 50D. Plus a lot of photographers I see around and about also have 50D's now. It must be their best selling model at the moment.

I've seen a lot of people claim that 50D sales were poor in comparison to the 40D, although I've seen no real figures. However, assuming this is true, rather than the poor sales performance being down to some deficiencies in the 50D, I'd posit the theory that a massive global recession may have just a tad to do with it.

I'm much more excited at the prospect of a new Hybrid IS lens being released. Especially if it is a macro lens. I don't think Canon have an IS macro lens, do they?

So far only Nikon have had a macro lens with IS as a feature - not even sigma (who seem to have a very strong liking for macro, making 5 dedicated primes and a lot of zooms with close focusing setups) make a macro with IS (or OS in sigma's case).

p.s. just to wet your appetite CanonRumors has an article about the possible upcoming Canon 60D DSLR:

* Canon 60D will ship with a new 12.1 MP APS-H sensor with a size between full frame and APS-C sensor (1.3x crop factor)
* Canon 60D will have the 1D’s autofocus system
* Build quality similar to the Canon 5D Mark II
* 6fps
* Prics: $1999
Just to make it clear, this is a direct quote from another site. I personally have not got a clue as to the sales of the 50D or any other camera (neither am I that interested ;) ).

Canon unveils PowerShot G11 plus other P&S cameras - details HERE.
I guess its Sept 1st before we hear about anything new on the DSLR front

Last edited:
The G11 and the S90 both look like potentially good cameras. A bold move by Canon to drop the MP count on the G series from 15mp on the G10 down to 10mp on the G11, I think it's a great move and I look forward to seeing what the camera can do.

Just to make it clear, this is a direct quote from another site. I personally have not got a clue as to the sales of the 50D or any other camera (neither am I that interested ;) ).

Don't worry Roy! I'm not shooting the messenger... just yet. :-O

A bold move by Canon to drop the MP count on the G series from 15mp on the G10 down to 10mp on the G11, I think it's a great move and I look forward to seeing what the camera can do.
Olympus are capping their sensors at 12mp. Perhaps the megapixel arms race is drawing to a conclusion. About time too.

Ron

Now available on Pre-order from a certain large store in Norwich at the whopping price of £569

Ouch! If I remember rightly the G5 I bought way back when cost about £300... looks like the G10 was under £400 so that's a big increase!

No reason why you can't have an FF D-SLR with video and a pop-up flash, video is already on the 5DII and pop-up flashes were common on ff film SLRs. Just needs both to be fitted in one camera... I can quite easily believe Canon would do that, a 50D-like camera with a FF sensor that can do video seems a reasonable mix.

Olympus are capping their sensors at 12mp. Perhaps the megapixel arms race is drawing to a conclusion. About time too.

Ron

I think it's more important for Oly with the smaller sensor as noise will be an issue much earlier, but there's certainly a limit to how many people would need something like the 15/21mp that the 50D and 5DII can record! I find the 12mp of my D300 just about right, plenty of scope for cropping, good level of detail but not so many pixels that the photos are cumbersome to edit or need stupid quantities of memory cards. In terms of APS-C sensors 10-12mp seems to be the sweet-spot.

Am still amazed at the sheer quality of the images from the 5DII - how they managed to squeeze in 21 million pixels (even on a full frame sensor) and get that noise performance is mind-blowing!

Last edited:
The G11 and the S90 both look like potentially good cameras. A bold move by Canon to drop the MP count on the G series from 15mp on the G10 down to 10mp on the G11, I think it's a great move and I look forward to seeing what the camera can do.

totally agree with you about the G11. think they learnt something from the pana lx3.

i like that swivel screen as well!!

s90 is interesting with raw

Last edited:
really interested in the g11 and s90, i like the sound of them both, i wonder if either are going to be usable for digiscoping, As you have all said finally a cut down on the megapixels on these 2 new ones, even more pennies to be saved!

Having only last week bought a G10, I was a bit miffed at learning about the new G11 today. That is until I heard the pre-order price of £569. I only paid £329 for my G10.

The only real complaint I have after a few days with the G10 is noise at any ISO above 200. But that is well documented. Perhaps Canon have learnt there lesson, extra pixels are not that important, and coming down to 10 may be a good thing.

I will definitely applaud Canon for thinking reduced noice before pixel count. My wife (currently using a G9) sounded very intreagued by the G11...

Niels

Am still amazed at the sheer quality of the images from the 5DII - how they managed to squeeze in 21 million pixels (even on a full frame sensor) and get that noise performance is mind-blowing!

Well I wouldn't look at any from a D3x then. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back