• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ardnamurchan Fungi - second batch (1 Viewer)

Dave Kennedy

As before - any help with ID's will be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
Dave

Attachments

• 8-DSCF1209.jpg
    8-DSCF1209.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 9-DSCF5591.jpg
    9-DSCF5591.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 10-DSCF5592.jpg
    10-DSCF5592.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 11-DSCF5607.jpg
    11-DSCF5607.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 13-DSCF5614.jpg
    13-DSCF5614.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 50
Hi Dave,

These are much tougher this time!
I think you're right about being cautious regarding upturning mushrooms. Personally, I tend not to do it unless there are several present (I also carry one of those telescopic mirrors that dentist use which comes in handy every now and then).

1 - Amanita muscaria
2 - No idea
3 - Maybe a Milkcap (Lactarius)?. These species exude milk when the gills are broken.
4 - Possibly a Tricholoma around T.fulvum, but we'd need to see the gills to be sure....
5 - Hypholoma fasciculare

Cheers,
Nick

Nick, once again, thank you. Re Milk caps, these we see here in South Africa. One of the common ones is L. deliciosus - the Pine Ring, or Orange Milk Cap. It's common in pine woods in the Southern Cape, and makes excellent eating.
H.fasciculare also occurs here, but I have yet to see an illustration showing the distinct dark spots around the rim of the cap, as can be clearly seen in my photograph. The stipes joining at the base is quite characteristic, so maybe the dark spots are simply a local variant.
Best wishes,
Dave

Hi Dave,

The dark spots around the cap margin in your photo of H.fasciculare are spores which are caught on the veil remnants.
I suppose whether they are there or not depends upon the development of the fruit bodies (i.e. whether the spores mature before the veil ruptures).

Cheers,
Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back