• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sambar deer progressive painting (1 Viewer)

Trevor Hawkins

I'm currently working on a portrait of a Sambar deer, and thought it might be good to post some progressive shots as i work on it. The following pics are where i'm up to at the moment. hopefully i'll have the painting completed by the end of today. Hope you like it. Trevor.

Attachments

• IMG_4528.jpg
    IMG_4528.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 125
Thanks Erato, i didn't think about posting until that first pic unfortunately. That first pic is about one hour in after the original pencil sketch.

Excellent! :clap:

Dumb question: Do you always leave the eyes to the end? I was thinking that I tend to start with the eyes and continue around them. I don't know if it makes a difference :)

Thankyou Rodrigo and Rafael. All watercolour until the end where i used some gouache to bring out a few of the deers pale whiskers and coarser fur strokes Rafael.

Excellent! :clap:

Dumb question: Do you always leave the eyes to the end? I was thinking that I tend to start with the eyes and continue around them. I don't know if it makes a difference :)

I always leave the eyes till just before i do the very finest details resparza. Especially so if they are the key (or close too) focus of the artwork. If i was doing a painting or sketch of a group of birds or other animals the eyes would most likely be done about half, three quarters the way through depending on how prominent they were to the overall key focus point to the whole work if that makes sense?
Good question mate, i've never really consciously thought about it before you asked, it's just what i do.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back