• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hagmann's (Glossy) Antshrike (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Still cleaning up my desk, so here´s a minor (maybe insignificant) question on a Dr. Hagmann supposedly commemorated in ...

hagmanni as in:
• the invalid "Saskephorus [sic] hagmanni" MIRANDA-RIBEIRO 1927 (full OD unseen by me, only as Snippet view, here and here) [Syn. Sakesphorus luctuosus LICHTENSTEIN 1823]

= most likely the Swiss ornithologist, zoologist and botanist Dr. (phil.) Gottfried Hagmann (1874–1946), for many years at the Brazilian Insitution Museo Paraense Emilio Goeldi a k a Godofredo Hagmann alt. Luís Godofredo Hagmann (in Portuguese speaking Brazil) whose full true name probably (!?) was Gottfried Ludwig Hagmann alt. the opposite way around; Ludwig Gottfried Hagmann.

No birth date found ... but he died in Belém, 29th of May 1946.

Anyone know the origin of the "A." as in his alleged name "Gottfried A. Hagmann" alt. "Godofredo A. Hagmann", as claimed by various sources?

Also compare with the following links; here, here, here and here.

The latter four links is (for me) somewhat hard to understand (in languages I do not master).

Anyone who does understand it all?

However: he´s not to confuse with his father (and namesake; Gottfried Hagmann), first Director of the Zoological Gardens (Basel Zoo) in Basel, Switzerland, between 1875 until 1914. Maybe he was the "Gottfried A. Hagmann" ... ? Who knows?

Björn

However: he´s not to confuse with his father (and namesake; Gottfried Hagmann), first Director of the Zoological Gardens (Basel Zoo) in Basel, Switzerland, between 1875 until 1914. Maybe he was the "Gottfried A. Hagmann" ... ? Who knows?

I would assume Hagmann, [Carl Gottfried] here is his father. I assume here and repeated here is simply a typo (or may derive from ältester Sohn (odest son) of Carl Gottfried Hagmann).

Last edited:
Just to show what The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Antshrike sp. Sakesphorus hagmanni Miranda-Ribeiro, 1927 [Alt. Glossy Antshrike; JS Sakesphorus luctuosus]
Dr Gottfried (Godofredo) A. Hagmann (1874-1946) was a Swiss-born Brazilian zoologist who spent many years as Chief Zoologist, then Directorm Museu Paraense Emilio Goeldi, Belém, Brazil (1899-1904. He collected the holotype. He wrote 'Die Eier von Caiman niger' (1906). A reptile is named after him.

In OD we can find:
O exemplar trazido pelo Dr. Hagmann é do sexo feminino , com a parte superior olivacea , o canutilho das pennas alvadio na região cervico - dorsal ; aqui as pennas tem a metade basilar ou um lado dessa metade brancos , de modo a ...

The reptile is Helicops hagmanni Roux, 1910 here
Von einer Reise in Brasilien brachte Dr. G. Hagmann mehrere lebende Reptilien heim, die er dem zoologischen Garten in Basel schenkte.

So the reptile may for the father?

I know that many things don't fit but I keep on finding this family:

Johannes Gottfried Hagmann

Spouse Paulina Regina Bonnet
FatherJohannes Hagmann
Mother Friederieke Schmid
Children Gottfried David Hagmann
Birth 25 Mar 1855 Germany
Death 8 Feb 1934 Germany

Gottfried David Hagmann

Birth 18 Mar 1886 Ölbronn, Enzkreis, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Death 14 Feb 1967 Panambi, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back