• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does the FPro Swaro EL 8x32 still have the "glare" "issue?" (1 Viewer)

StressBaller

Price is what you pay, Value is what you get - War
First time poster here. I'm making a purchase in a couple weeks, and can't decide between Field Pro EL 8x32 or 8.5x42. I had my heart set on the 8x32 as it's a perfect fit in my hands, and not too bulky. When reading reviews, I see people complain of glare issues in the 8x32 but I wasn't sure if they had an older model.
After calling Swarovski this morning and asking "Does the 8x32 el have glare issues?" They had never heard of anyone complain of such issues. They said post November 2015, the Field Flattening lenses and other features would make glare a non-issue.

So my questions is, is glare apparent in the new Field Pro 8x32 model? My guess is that I would've never thought of such a thing until I read about it on here.

Thanks

Hi SB, IMHO yes its still an issue, I had the pre FP 32mm and did not keep it for that reason. I have tried the FP 32mm and and for me under the right conditions its no better.

I agree the size of the 32mm is perfect, but I now use the 8.5x42FP and nothing would tempt me back to the 32mm.

Others will put a very different case I`m sure, but the 42mm really does not have an Achilles heel, period.

Many of the ‘aberrations’ described by users here are particular to individuals own viewing characteristics. Some see terrible things through a particular model, others don’t see them at all. You must view for yourself as optical features such as the glare issue you mention can vary so much between users. I have a SV 8x32 FP and do not see any glare. For others it is a major problem.

Conversely, I experienced major glare/ flare issues with the Leica Ultravid 8x32, that others don’t see.

You have to try for yourself before buying if you can.

StressBaller, post 1,
I never had glare issues with any of the Swarovski 8x32 binoculars I used , not in the fields, not in the mountains, not at the sea side.
Gijs van Ginkel

Yes the 32mm SV has a glare issue, in very particular circumstances, and it can mostly be avoided by lowering the binocular just a bit. Not to worry because Swaro has given it the most forgiving eye placement you will ever see in a 32mm. Five years use here. I know the little bugger.

The thread below shows the glare problem in an 8x32 Swarovision purchased in July of 2015. If anything has changed it should be obvious from examining the interior under the same glare producing conditions shown in the photos.

Many opinions are possible about how seriously the problem affects individuals, but it is a fact that the binocular I tested in 2015 was poorly baffled.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=308250

Under the right conditions I've gotten glare issues with every pair of bino's I own. The 32mm EL's are excellent. Don't loose any sleep over it.

PennineBirder (post #3), I think you are right, I am fully with you in this.
Every user will have his or her individual experience with glare /stray-light issues in particular binoculars. Often, it has much to do with the way you hold the bino, but as Henry mentioned, not always, sometimes the bino is in fact to "blame". But again, different users may come to different perceptions.

For fun, I did once some comparisons of various 8x30 binoculars in difficult viewing situations (see picture attached), nothing scientific, so don't read too much into, but it was fun seeing the differences between the various models and getting - positive and negative - surprises. In my experience the EL SV wasn't perfect, but it was not dramatically bad either.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 11.41.49.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 11.41.49.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 296
For fun, I did once some comparisons of various 8x30 binoculars in difficult viewing situations (see picture attached), nothing scientific, so don't read too much into, but it was fun seeing the differences between the various models and getting - positive and negative - surprises. In my experience the EL SV wasn't perfect, but it was not dramatically bad either.

Canip, is that the old or the new version of the Swarovski CL in your comparison?

Hermann

Many of the ‘aberrations’ described by users here are particular to individuals own viewing characteristics. Some see terrible things through a particular model, others don’t see them at all. You must view for yourself as optical features such as the glare issue you mention can vary so much between users. I have a SV 8x32 FP and do not see any glare. For others it is a major problem.

Conversely, I experienced major glare/ flare issues with the Leica Ultravid 8x32, that others don’t see.

You have to try for yourself before buying if you can.

Yes, personal quirks matter. A few very well baffled binoculars, like the Ultravids, are nearly immune to veiling glare IF the eye's pupil is well centered on the exit pupil. It could be that you inadvertently caused glare in the Ultravid by unconsciously decentering your pupil in a way that exposed normally well masked reflections. The SV, on the other hand, can benefit from a pupil misalignment that decenters the prism aperture and objective lens in a way that masks reflections that would be visible to a centered pupil.

I've noticed that some people's "style" of looking through binoculars causes unconscious vertical misaligment of the eye pupil and the exit pupil. That would improve the 8x32 SV's glare resistance under typical glare producing conditions like a bright sky over a dark landscape.

I bought a pre FP version of the 8x32SV with intentions of taking it to Africa a couple of years ago. The stray light control (lack of) was bad enough I returned them. The Mojave 8x32 handled it much better.

I just finished a quick test with my wife's 8X32 SV on a dreary, overcast day. At first, no problem. However, when I started looking, fidgeting, etc. I could easily induce/see some glare around the edges. As Mark indicated (post 5), a slight movement eliminated it...temporarily. It comes and goes around the edges depending on where I'm looking, sun angle, light intensity, etc.

I tried adjusting the eyecups...no appreciable change in behavior.
I adjusted IPD...voila, that has the desired effect of reducing glare and, in my case, quite considerably.

I used this bin several times last summer in all sorts of weather; it was extremely enjoyable. One thing I will say is that the sample we have is deadly sharp, overwhelming so. Very fine details are immediately etched into my brain, similar to what a good SE will deliver.

I hate to say it but I think the glare is always there to one degree or another and that some users adapt while others don't. Whenever I maintained the target in my center view I had no problems with glare. If I looked away from the center I could usually find something to complain about.

FWIW, my Ultravid 7X42 will do the same thing...show me bright little crescent s when I least expect it. So much for Leica's perfect baffling. But, I love the little devil because 98% of the time it's not a problem and I know how to control it. My 8.5X42 and 10X50 SV's are, for me, visually problem free.

If and when I can no longer handle what I have I'll buy an 8X32 SV, or something better if it's available.

I just finished a quick test with my wife's 8X32 SV on a dreary, overcast day. At first, no problem. However, when I started looking, fidgeting, etc. I could easily induce/see some glare around the edges. As Mark indicated (post 5), a slight movement eliminated it...temporarily. It comes and goes around the edges depending on where I'm looking, sun angle, light intensity, etc.<snip>

I hate to say it but I think the glare is always there to one degree or another and that some users adapt while others don't. Whenever I maintained the target in my center view I had no problems with glare. If I looked away from the center I could usually find something to complain about.

Thank you. When I tried the SV 8x32 I came to the same conclusion: The glare is always there, to some extent at least, no matter how much you try to to adjust the eye position. It's worse (or perhaps more obvious) when the sun is low on the horizon or when watching a dark area, say the edge of a wood, under an overcast but bright sky. And I found it affects a rather large area outside the immediate center.

Hermann

Thank you. When I tried the SV 8x32 I came to the same conclusion: The glare is always there, to some extent at least, no matter how much you try to to adjust the eye position. It's worse (or perhaps more obvious) when the sun is low on the horizon or when watching a dark area, say the edge of a wood, under an overcast but bright sky. And I found it affects a rather large area outside the immediate center.

Hermann
Please don't snip relevant comments which affect my conclusion.
If and when I can no longer handle what I have I'll buy an 8X32 SV, or something better if it's available.

I still may go the more compact route of the 8x32 EL's. The consensus appears that glare is an issue. Worst case scenario I return them for the 8.5x42 if I find glare or anything else to be an issue.

Last edited:
I had glare with the SV 8x32 and I also had a little glare with the SV 10x50. I have the SLC HD 8x56 and I have no glare even when I get close to sun. It is really nice to not have any glare.

I had glare with the SV 8x32 and I also had a little glare with the SV 10x50. I have the SLC HD 8x56 and I have no glare even when I get close to sun. It is really nice to not have any glare.

Are both SV's the Field Pro model? I'm just wondering if there's a difference in the pre and post November 2015 models.

I`v long wondered if the latitude of the user affects the glare issue with the 32mm SV, I`m between 50 and 51 deg North.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back