• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors, Madera County, California, USA (1 Viewer)

SHolt

I am processing images from a Madera Canal inspection for my job from October 31, 2017. I'm just second guessing my identification. They are two different birds and this was the only angle they were observed from. I was lucky that the driver for the inspection likes raptors and was willing to stop on the backroads when there was no traffic to impede.

Thanks for any assistance.

Attachments

• Hawk_MaderaCanalTour_IMG_8709.jpg
    Hawk_MaderaCanalTour_IMG_8709.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Hawk_MaderaCanalTour_IMG_8711.jpg
    Hawk_MaderaCanalTour_IMG_8711.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 46
I think that second bird might be a Light Morph Swainson's Hawk. Its wing tips look to be as long as its tail. There looks to be a light colored bib on the top of its chest and I can't see any white scapular bands that usually are seen on Red-tailed Hawks.

Swainsons are also known to winter over in California's Central Valley in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta according to Wheeler's "Raptors of Western North America" at p. 278.

Bob

Some American hawks share the headpattern like this bird: a smokey coloured face to a sudden pale earcovert and nape area this contrast is unusual in European raptorts. The species that share this are: Broad-winged; Red-tailed and Swainson's all right.
What is absent in all buteo's except Swainson's, is the combination of a white chin throat and a closed dark uniform breast band at least (in a light morph ). This white chin/throat may be clear-cut straight or open up a bit to the dark breast band.
In a Red-tail, once again the clear cut chin throat may show a general resembling feature but the upperbreast is white in a pale morph.

The slightly different angle of the second bird. (It turned towards the the camera.)

Attachments

• Crop_Hawk_MaderaCanalTour_20171031_IMG_8712.jpg
    Crop_Hawk_MaderaCanalTour_20171031_IMG_8712.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 29
The "Bib" is more defined.

It is the length of the wings that got me thinking it might be a Swainsons but the wings aren't well defined in the pictures. Their tips should be about as long as the tail.

Bob

I understand why Bob would think Swainson's for the second bird given only the first image. The second image, I think all of us agree it is pretty clear cut.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back