• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID, Luxor, Egypt (1 Viewer)

pbourdin

This medium-sized gull was flying up the Nile near Crocodile Island, Luxor on 30 March. At first I though Black-headed Gull, but it seemed a little heavy. I'm thinking Grey-headed Gull, but I'd like another opinion. I'm assuming 1st winter, but in the process of moulting into summer plumage (tail). It's somewhat out of its normal range, but observer density is low so occurrence may be more regular than currently known. Anyone have any more knowledge than that?

Attachments

• IMG_6086.JPG
    IMG_6086.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 145
Primary moult in March would be very odd for a northern hemisphere gull, does suggest it was born south of the equator . . . beyond that, not sure.

If it was moult but it's just broken feathers, the bird is a 1st summer black-headed gull. Structure and wing tip pattern lacking the all dark tip wrong for any other taxon.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back