• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The next Nikon cameras (1 Viewer)

I was about to buy the 300mm f4 in the coming months but see it will have VR in 2010! ...and an AF-S 400mm f5.6 VR should be nice for birders! Lenses look great! I'm planning some birding trips for the end of this year...what to do?

I’m not as pessimistic as everybody else, I think Nikon have just ‘bumped-up’ their range. We can’t expect revolution at this time, there is a downturn worldwide which will affect the way consumers and manufacturers think and respond.

What is important is how Nikon structure their prices for these products. It’s a stagnating market, the larger percentage of consumers want cheaper all-in-one cameras.

The carrying of lenses, tripods and all the other flotsam & jetsam is not appealing to many people.

The 300mm, and 400mm VR will be eagerly awaited.

I think one or two people are taking this list as a done deal. It's not confirmed by any means and is most probably a figment of someone's imagination.
Whenever you buy anything that involves fast moving technology you risk seeing your purchase being outdated in next to no time, however, the longer you delay the more you deny yourself the pleasure. Live life now !

I'm waiting to see what replaces the D300, which I have lusted after for 18 months;)

Not exactly convinced about any of these. The D4 specs look nice, and some of the lenses could be useful, but how much of this is real, and how much is just fantasy is anyone's guess.
Have just been reading Thom Hogans overview of Nikons digital history and future roadmap (probably in response to this and similar rumour mongers) and he suggests that a D4 is not likely until 2011.
http://www.bythom.com/nikonroadmap.htm

I'm defo not convinced. Why on earth would Nikon bring out a D300s in 2009 followed by a D400 just one year after?? Also, the 400 f5.6 G has no VR.
I also don't believe than the D4 will have 16fps. I hope it's true though. The 120-450 looks nice!!

I'm defo not convinced. Why on earth would Nikon bring out a D300s in 2009 followed by a D400 just one year after?? Also, the 400 f5.6 G has no VR.
I also don't believe than the D4 will have 16fps. I hope it's true though. The 120-450 looks nice!!

well the d70s cam out in '05 and the d80 in 06.

the 300s is a holding position. slightly "refreshed" video. apparently the out of camera jpegs are "slightly" better from the d5000/d90 so slightly better jpeg performance.

the 400f5.6 does have VR on that list.

its probably a wish list. although I'd imagine at least 3 of the lenses 120-450 300f4 and 400f5.6 would be popular here!

the hot rumour is that the 3000 will be launched first week of august if that has 7 point af then the list will gain some credence. since I think it is expected to have a 3 point af ala the d60.

We just don’t know what Nikon intends to launch. Thom Hogan has given a pretty good anayisis.

With the D3 and D700 Nikon edged in front of Canon, you would have thought that they would have delivered the ‘coup de grace’ on Canon, but they have always been a Company with a capital ‘C’ for conservatism.

The market is ready for the Nikon 15Mb, DX, self cleaning, ISO and FPS matching the D700, all sitting in a D3 body, price it sensibly at around the D700 and it will fly off the shelves. Granted the gross profit per item may have to be reduced but the World is in a global recession. Nikon is no different than any other equipment manufacturers who have to change direction to maintain market share.

Those people who have D1, D2’s, D200, D60, D80 and even D300 would consider upgrading.

Canon on the other hand have a different scenario, they will launch a MkIV, but most of those people with MkII’s and III’s will question the justification whether spending another £3+ on a camera that delivers exactly the same image quality, only a wee bit bigger and faster.

Canon have saturated their middle market, there’s room (just) for a Nikon.

Last edited:
The market is ready for the Nikon 15Mb, DX, self cleaning, ISO and FPS matching the D700, all sitting in a D3 body, price it sensibly at around the D700 and it will fly off the shelves. Gmarket share.

I'll have one of those please !

and I won't settle for anything much less either.

Last edited:
We just don’t know what Nikon intends to launch. Thom Hogan has given a pretty good anayisis.

With the D3 and D700 Nikon edged in front of Canon, you would have thought that they would have delivered the ‘coup de grace’ on Canon, but they have always been a Company with a capital ‘C’ for conservatism.

The market is ready for the Nikon 15Mb, DX, self cleaning, ISO and FPS matching the D700, all sitting in a D3 body, price it sensibly at around the D700 and it will fly off the shelves. Granted the gross profit per item may have to be reduced but the World is in a global recession. Nikon is no different than any other equipment manufacturers who have to change direction to maintain market share.

Those people who have D1, D2’s, D200, D60, D80 and even D300 would consider upgrading.

Canon on the other hand have a different scenario, they will launch a MkIV, but most of those people with MkII’s and III’s will question the justification whether spending another £3+ on a camera that delivers exactly the same image quality, only a wee bit bigger and faster.

Canon have saturated their middle market, there’s room (just) for a Nikon.

canon could do the same thing. price it between the 50d and 5d mkII....

the camera you describe doesn't really interest me. Will it fly off the shelves? image quality. if it isn't better than the d300 what's the point? I accept some pros will want it but for most amateurs? they'd be off spending the money on lenses.

I wonder if we are reaching saturation point. The latest Sony cameras got an underwhelming response.

now me personally? can I have a p6000 body. a d40/d60 sensor (got to keep the cost down eh) and give it a 18-55 equiv lens and I'll be very happy.

if nikon aren't paying attention and canon want to do something similar or panasonic......

As a D200 user, purchased 2 years ago, I have resisted the temptation to get a D300 despite all the rave reviews. I can resist the D300s just as easily if all I'm getting is a movie mode.I can buy a video for a fraction of the cost.
As for dual cards, no appeal at all.
A quiet shutter, very nice but not a sales pitch for me.
Oh well sit back and wait for the next one.

Lots of point if you don't happen to have a D300...like me !

fair point. but I'm not certain it'll come out.

d400 maybe.

I'll be interested what the supposed Sony Alpha 850 is. that may give us a hint as Nikon and Sony are co-operating on sensors.

the d300s will offer some jpeg improvements I believe. but I could do without video.

As a D200 user, purchased 2 years ago, I have resisted the temptation to get a D300 despite all the rave reviews.

I was the same until I tried one and then bought one, its not so much a natural evolution of the D200 but a whole different species. D300 is a far more capable body that anything other than the D3's.
If you can pick up a nice used D300 you won't regret it........

oh next generation, if my D300 had the same low light capabilities as my friends D3 I'd be very happy, its about time Nikon offered better quality pro-summer lenses such as a 400/4vr or a 500/5.6vr
They need to bridge the gap between the £1000 300/4 and the pro range lenses such as 300/2.8, 500/4 600/4

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back