• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

On my allotment..... (1 Viewer)

Julie50

Mostly in the Midlands :)
Supporter
United Kingdom
Spring has come to Birmingham - I am always the optimist! So we will be spending more time in the allotment. Watch this space for pics and sightings.

Today......

A new and beautiful robin has staked its claim to the plot. Very friendly, will try to get a photo next time.
Large collection (mob?) of last years magpies in the trees behind the plot.
Lovely sighting and calling of a jay.

Nothing else of note but it was very windy and showery.

Today;

Magpies
Crows
Blackbird pair
Robin still claiming our plot for itself!
Blue tits
Great tits
Coal tit
Buzzard
Could hear a woodpecker but no sighting so not sure which type!

A new and beautiful robin has staked its claim to the plot. Very friendly, will try to get a photo next time.
Large collection (mob?) of last years magpies in the trees behind the plot.
Lovely sighting and calling of a jay.

Nothing else of note but it was very windy and showery.

I have an allotment too, and can always guarantee a Robin will be present as soon as I pick up a spade or Fork...how do they know ?

Mark

Found out which type of woodpecker!

Today:

Green woodpecker
Goldcrest
Robin
Blue tit
Great tit
Magpies
Blackbirds
Crows

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 117
Robins are very social birds, aren't they?
At least when humans are around.
I do a lot of camping and you can always be sure that a camp Robin will be lurking shortly after setting up.

I think they show up when humans are at their allotments because they know that when humans get near mud they are often digging, and that means worms!

Just before Christmas I was turning the soil and a Robin came down on the fence. This wasn't the first time. And like every other time I took some seed off the bird table and offered it on my palm. Except on this occasion the Robin hopped on to the fork, then hopped to my hand and took a seed straight from my palm!
Hasn't done it since, mind you, despite the fact that I always offer.
That one time was good enough though.

Today - which was beautiful and sunny :)

Crows
Magpies
Blackbirds - very vocal
Blue tits
Long tailed tits
Woodpecker - heard knocking not seen
A new robin - there may be trouble!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back