• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (3 Viewers)

La Gola: 2 Squacco herons, 1 Green Sand, 3 Common Sand and a Firecrest.
Boquer valley: Chiffy and 3 Hoopoe together along approach avenue, 1 Dunnock just after the '2 Standing stones', 15+ Crag Martin, 2 Booteds, 3 Blue rock thrush, 7 Eleonora's in air together and 2 Distant Black Vulture.

Last afternoon by pool in villa 1 mile inland from S'Albufereta and treated to 10 minute stopover of over a dozen bee-eater, great way to end the holiday. Will definitely be back for a spring break

Walk to Albuferetta and back: A Kingfisher flew along shoreline towards Port de pollenca, 2 Wheatear, 10 Kentish plover & 5 Common Sand.
3 Purple Heron, 1 Great white Egret, 26 Flamingos, 3 Green Sands, 1 Greenshank, 1 Little Stint, 2 Msh Harrier and a female Pochard.
12 Grey Heron came in high 'in off' together and veered off towards Alcudia.

I’m not sure if anyone will report from the Cap today, I was working.
Pep found two Golden orioles and 5 rare Rock sparrows on the approach road.
Two honey Buzzard came through and a large flock of Bee-eaters also left the Island.
If I get more news I will post.
Tonight is the annual bash to launch the bird report 2017. It’s always a riotous event but I’m not quite so lost anymore as I can speak some Spanish and I have got to know many of the locals.
Mike

Some pictures of the Montagu's in Vilafranca earlier this week, and a Northern wheatear in the same area.
Then the White-headed Duck female/juvenile, and a nice Black-necked Grebe both in Can Guidet, this morning.

Attachments

• _D_A9942.jpg
    _D_A9942.jpg
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 61
  • _1DA4201.jpg
    _1DA4201.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 57
  • _D_A0032.jpg
    _D_A0032.jpg
    960.3 KB · Views: 38
  • _D_A0274.jpg
    _D_A0274.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 63
  • _D_A0082.jpg
    _D_A0082.jpg
    927.5 KB · Views: 43
Could anyone tell me which of the following "over winter" in Mallorca and the chances of seeing them from 19 September over a 2 weeks stay:-
Hoopoe, bee eater, golden oriole, eleanoras falcon
Thank you

Stunning pictures Patrick, many thanks.
Geordie Dave
There is every chance if you scoring a full-house.
Hoopoe is resident in good numbers, they should not be a problem. Normally seen flying up from the roadside where they like to feed. Otherwise, large fields with trees.
Bee-eaters are moving through the Island at the moment in big numbers. They are here for a while so you should be ok. They move through the valleys and linger for a while sometimes. I will post all sightings.
Ditto Golden oriole which are being seen in the south at the moment. The depuradora, Albufera is a good place. You may be lucky with a Roller too.
Eleonora’s are best seen on the wing at Formentor, but they are sometimes on the marsh too.
Good luck, let us know what you see and do let me know if you need any other information. Mike

At least 1 Squacco still at La Gola, 30+ Audouins Gull along the beach and breakwater in Port de pollenca,
Steady trickle of Swifts and Hirundines through the day.

After the annual fiesta for birders last night, nobody was at the Cap too early this morning. I made it at 9.30 and saw a male Marsh Harrier leaving the Island followed by a group of Bee-eaters and 80 Barn swallows.
A few more people turned up and we enjoyed some left-overs thanks to Suzanne. There was lots of ham, beer and bread and it’s surprising how good it tastes out in the open.
5 Alpine Swift flew over and I think Pep saw some more but we were all a bit sluggish.
There were some Rock sparrows again along the approach road.
I later got news from Philip that the rain had put down a Black Stork in Santa Ponça and two Honey Buzzard flew low over the town as well.
Later, Juanjo saw a large group of Dotterel opposite Botanicus in Ses Salines.
Mike

Today's sightings:
Kingfisher: 1 port de pollenca - along pine walk
Firecrest: 5+ 'postage stamp' wood.
F Whitethroat & Willow warbler: casa de Boquer.

Afternoon at Can Cuarassa:
Eleonora's falcon: 1lp
Grey Heron: 9 'in off' and continued in land.
Woodchat: 1imm
Whinchat: 2
Tawny pipit: good views of a low calling bird.
White Stork: 1 'in off' circled before landing out of sight between Can cuarassa and Albufereta at 14.50.
Wheatear: 1
Red kite: 2

Spectacular thunder and lightening over Port de Pollenca for several hours in the early hours.

Albufereta this morning:
Greater Flamingo: just a lone immature.
Purple Heron: 1Ad
Purple Swamphen: 2
Woodchat shrike: 1imm
Marsh Harrier: 1F
Ringed plover: 2
Kentish plover: 45+
Green sand: 1
Common Sand: 4
Greenshank: 1
Dunlin: 1
Little Stint: 1
Curlew Sand: 1
Stone Curlew: 2
Bee-eater: 9 through.

Last edited:
I am meeting Phil on the platform at Albufereta on Wednesday at 8.30am. If anyone is around and wants to say hello, you would be very welcome.
Following some big storms there could well be a few interesting birds around. Let’s hope so. Mike

Hi Mike,
At the Albuferata today there was a Juv Red Backed Shrike, found by another guy, didn't get his name and at the Boquer saw Golden Oriole in tree and in flight just to the left of the second metal gate the other side of the field, flew back up the valley but couldn't relocate. Shrike was too the right of the stepping stones before the platform
Steve.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm going to Pollenca from 19 September for 2 weeks. My interest is in bird life. My better half is interested to know if there is any beginners guide to butterflies available that she can take with her. Any advice would be appreciated
Thank you, David

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back