• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dalian (Jinshitan) Birding Reports (3 Viewers)

Jinshitan sea-farming ponds Nov. 9, 2010

Getting colder. Close to freezing this afternoon. Hard to get out after work now, dark by 5:00. I was really looking for ducks today so cruised by forest bird areas except for one small patch along the country road that continues to produce. Should have stayed in the forest as nothing special in the duck category to report. List from today:

Common Pheasant
Gadwall
Falcated Duck
Mallard
Spot-billed Duck
Little Grebe
Grey Heron
Great Egret -- a little late?
Northern Goshawk
Upland Buzzard
Green Sandpiper
Black-tailed Gull
Vega Gull
Oriental Turtledove
Siberian Accentor (FOS)
Long-tailed Rosefinch
Yellow-throated Bunting
Meadow Bunting

Jinshitan Reservoir Nov. 14, 2010

I have been going to a large reservoir with extensive forest edge and reed habitat for years but was told I could not enter anymore last spring because it was now going to be transformed into a golf course. Much of the dry scrub area is no longer suitable for birds but the one good bunting anf finch area is still there. There is considerable damage to edge of the reservoir but the construction has stopped short of my main area that I birded in there. Only one Little Grebe on the entire lake which should have had a bunch of other stuff this time of year. I am still not allowed in but I do know the local mountains well and today went for a hike to get in the back way:t: First bird encountered was what I believe to be a Northern House Martin which would be a life bird for me. It could also have been an Asian House Martin however so I can't check it off. It did look darker to me and I thought it was Pacific Swift at first ( I saw it from above on the side of a mountain) Asian House Martin are not common and would be a notable record for Jinshitan also (especially on Nov. 14?). I did get a nice Pine Bunting also which is the first absolutely certain record for me in Jinshitan. This Bunting must migrate up the west sode of the peninsula here as I rarely see it. Pallas's Rosefinch was also a treat. Definantely worth a hike in the back way.

Common Pheasant (a shot at the most ever in one afternoon -- reset my heart a few times in the tall grass)
Little Grebe
Amur Falcon
Northern Goshawk
Iron Hawk
Japanese Sparrowhawk -- bolting through town on the way home.
Great-spotted Woodpecker
Great Tit
CoalTit
Vinous-throated Parrotbill
Goldcrest
Dusky Thrush
Naumann's Thrush (on almost every berry bush these days)
Red-flanked Bluetail
Daurian Redstart
Siberian Accentor
Brambling
Long-tailed Rosefinch
Pallas's Rosefinch
Pine Bunting
Meadow Bunting
Little Bunting
Rustic Bunting
Yellow-throated Bunting
Pallas's Bunting
Ochre-rumped Bunting (Japanese Reed Bunting)

Attachments

• Daurian Redstart.jpg
    Daurian Redstart.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 62
  • Goldcest.jpg
    Goldcest.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Iron Hawk.jpg
    Iron Hawk.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Long-tailed Rosefinch.jpg
    Long-tailed Rosefinch.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Pallas's Rosefinch.jpg
    Pallas's Rosefinch.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 54
last pics.

Long-tailed Rosefinch pic. is from last week

Attachments

• Pine Bunting.jpg
    Pine Bunting.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Rustic Bunting.jpg
    Rustic Bunting.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Yellow-throated Bunting.jpg
    Yellow-throated Bunting.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 52
Jinshi Golf Course Nov. 20, 2010

There are currently two golf courses in Jinshitan with another almost finished and plans for 2 more! Today I went to one Golden Pebble Golf Club that is really nice and costs upwards of $100 to play a round. This place is located right on the end of a small point at the far end of Jinshitan. It is surrounded on 3 sides by the ocean. Much of the original forest has been left around the fairways and some areas are just completely wild. There is water areas throughout the course making it an attractive place for birds, especially in the spring as the point sticks out into the ocean in a north direction. It is hard to get into this place as it is amazingly guarded despite its huge size and wild areas. I have been thrown out of this place many times after getting in different back ways. Today I rode up to the main gate on my motorcycle and tried the polite way of buying an entry ticket for RMB 20. I was allowed after much negotiation and a few phone calls. Had to leave my bike outside the gate though. The guard assured me that it wasn't because my motocycle was ugly looking! I was checked twice by different guards inside who wanted to see my ticket. It can be very good forest birding in this place in November when all the leaves have fallen and a guy can actually see what is going on. In the late spring or summer it is mostly birding by ear. Nothing too exciting today in there but I did see about 15 different Treecreepers which I haven't seen for a while now. This is also a place where anything can show up as it is so big and some wierd stuff from the city probably ends up living in it for a season. For example there was one White-cheeked Starling flying around with the magpies. There was also a group of Azure-winged Magpies which is a big deal for Dalian. Other places in China are over-run with them but seeing them in Dalian is worth noting. I think I've seen them 4 times here in the years.

Gloomy lighting today especially in the Varied Tit shot. The Sparrow picture is what happens when you see movement in the scrub and do some pishing!

List from today:

Common Pheasant
Mallard
Common Goldeneye
Red-breasted Merganser
Black-tailed Gull
Great-spotted Woodpecker
Azure-winged Magpie
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Varied Tit (showing up in a few places this fall in Jinshitan)
Chinese Hill Warbler
Chinese Bulbul
Goldcrest
Eurasian Treecreeper
Crested Myna ( in the village earlier today)
White-cheeked Starling
Naumann's Thrush
Daurian Redstart
Siberian Accentor
Brambling
Oriental Greenfinch
Yellow-throated Bunting
Common Reed Bunting

Attachments

• Chinese Bulbul.jpg
    Chinese Bulbul.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Chinese Hill Warbler.jpg
    Chinese Hill Warbler.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 70
  • CoalTit.jpg
    CoalTit.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Habitat.jpg
    Habitat.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 63
Jinshitan sea-farming ponds Nov. 25, 2010

Quick trip today as the sun was setting. Cold, with ice beginning to form on the ponds. Saw Green Sandpipers today beside the ice, never seen that before. Also still one Great Egret today which is quite late according to my records here. About 5 grey Herons as well but I've seen them at odd times before. Bird of the day was a Black-throated Diver on one of the ponds. A life bird for me.

Common Pheasant
Ruddy Shelduck
Gadwall
Mallard
Spot-billed Duck
Eurasian Teal
Common Goldeneye
Black-throated Diver
Little Grebe
Grey Heron
Great Egret
Northern Goshawk
Common Buzzard
Rough-legged Buzzard
Green Sandpiper
Black-tailed Gull
Black-headed Gull
Vega Gull
Long-tailed Rosefinch
Yellow-throated Bunting

Attachments

• Black-throated Diver.jpg
    Black-throated Diver.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Common Buzzard.jpg
    Common Buzzard.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Common Goldeneye.jpg
    Common Goldeneye.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Green Sandpipers.jpg
    Green Sandpipers.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 52
  • Northern Goshawk.jpg
    Northern Goshawk.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 67
I'm quite amazed you've had no Cranes or Bustards Tom but I'm sure there's a nice surprise around the corner (though I've no idea what), habitat looks promising.

The Diver was a nice find!

Could I ask (in ignorance) how you decided on Black-throated rather than Pacific Diver?

Cheers
Mike

At last I've found someone other than me that struggles with Great Bustard... in China.

Good point Mark: strange no bustards or cranes.

Just back at work after a grueling trip to the Chinese/Russian border city of Jiamusi and back in 48 hours. Arrived in Dalian at 5:30 am this morning after an overnight train from Harbin and a 6 hour bus ride before that. Unfortunately no time for birding. Beautiful forest up there. Will post responses later today.

I have never seen a Bustard here. I've looked in suitable habitat north of here but nothing. There is a crane wintering area north of Dalian about 2 hours in a place called Wafangdian. I've been there 3 times in 3 years, always around new years or slightly after. The most cranes I've seen there was approximately 50 and they were all Common Cranes except for one Hooded. There are also Oriental Stork that winter there, the most I've seen at one time was around 20. It is also a great place for Whooper Swan, wintering ducks, White-tailed Sea Eagles, and I believe I saw a Stellar's Sea Eagle there a few years back but without a photo I haven't officially checked it off for the area yet. The cranes and storks feed on rice stubble and the ducks are in a section of a large fast-flowing river that can remain ice free during some winters. Last year I was there in mid-Feb and the river was completely frozen over with only 5 or so storks in the area and no cranes. I think last year was exceptionally cold for the area and the cranes moved somewhere warmer? All the birds there are ridiculously shy so maybe they were scared away by hunters also? I have seen some unidentified cranes over Jinshitan once as mentioned from last spring on this forum and a non-birder friend decribed in detail an Oriental Stork flying over his house coming in to land near a reservoir also from last spring.

I think most cranes move north and south over land. Don't they prefer warm rising air over land to help with lift like most hawks? There could be some that migrate along the Liaodong Penninsula here but I think most use the land route around the Bohai Bay through Beidaihe. It could also be less people here looking for them

Mike,
I have a lot of other photos showing bright white flanks on this diver. I also thought the bill was heavier than Pacific and had a faint black tip. Also a heavier and chunkier bird than Pacific diver I thought. The OBI website also confirmed what i was thinking. I would love to get others opinions as it is a new bird for me.

Tom

Please post some more of your pix Tom - I'd love to learn how to sort these two out with pix of birds in Asia - only had too distant views in Japan.

Cheers
Mike

more shots of the diver

Attachments

• Black-throated Diver 5.jpg
    Black-throated Diver 5.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Black-throated Diver 46.jpg
    Black-throated Diver 46.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Black-throated Diver 464364.jpg
    Black-throated Diver 464364.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN5398.jpg
    DSCN5398.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 63
Jinshitan Sea-farming ponds Dec. 4, 2010

We had an unusually warm day yesterday. It was around 12 degrees and a lot of the ice was melting. Was well below zero the day before and will be today as well. The main river channel was completely ice free and had many ducks all in one spot. I also met a guy who lives along the river, showed him my book, and he said he has seen cranes in the area in March. I showed him the Grey Heron page as I thought he was confusing the two but he was sure he had seen cranes. We'll see. I was just sorting through ducks when my camera battery quit, put in the other one and it was dead too! Needless to say, I left immediately. I wasn't about to find out what would show up when both my batteries were dead:-C . The Eurasian Teal photo must be a juv.? There were also many adults around. Baikal Teal is always nice. This is my first photo of a male in Jinshitan although I've seen them before and know of a river about 1.5 hours away where many can be seen around this time.

List:
Common Pheasant
Ruddy Shelduck
Gadwall
Falcated Duck
Malalrd
Spot-billed
Baikal Teal
Eurasian Teal
Common Goldeneye
Little Grebe
Grey Heron
Peregrine Falcon
Common Buzzard
Black-tailed Gull
Common Gull
Vega Gull
Yellow-throated Bunting

Attachments

• Baikal Teal.jpg
    Baikal Teal.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Buzzard.jpg
    Buzzard.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Eurasian Teal.jpg
    Eurasian Teal.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Eurasian Teal fem..jpg
    Eurasian Teal fem..jpg
    149 KB · Views: 65
  • Gadwall.jpg
    Gadwall.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 58
Jinshitan Sea-farming Ponds

Just got back from being out for an hour with a friend who just bought a 300mm lens and wants to get into bird photography. we had only an hour so didn't generate much of a list. He did get some good shots of Ruddy Shelducks, Hen Harriers, and Buntings. Three separate harriers were seen along the main river channel. Only one main water hole left so most of the ducks are gone with only about 75 Mallards and five Ruddy Shelducks left. Hard to get out these days. Pre-Christmas business and work taking a lot of time. I will be going to have a look in Wafangdian for cranes/storks/swans in a few weeks and probably to Jinzhou (the Jinzhou in Dalian) for Sea-Eagles and whatever else at some point yet before we leave for a bit in Jan-Feb. We are going to the Philipines (Bohol) for 3 weeks and I hope to do some birding there in Rajah Sikatuna National Park which is supposed to be excellent. Never been to the Philipines before and am excited about the number of endemics there. Will certainly be adding to the life list.B :)

Attachments

• Hen Harrier.jpg
    Hen Harrier.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 65
Jinshitan Reservoir Dec. 12, 2010

Got into the large reservoir area again with no one seeing. Had a good look around. Good numbers of the species listed below. Saw a Willow Tit that is a first record in Jinshitan. Like the Varied, I have seen many together with Marsh in Dandong. Also had a nice Ochre-rumped Bunting on the way out near the gate. It was a male that still had an almost black head.

Common Pheasant (scared away the Willow Tit as it erupted from the dead grass:C)
Japanese Quail
Eurasian Sparrowhawk
Northern Goshawk
Common Buzzard
Upland Buzzard
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Willow Tit
Goldcrest
Naumann's Thrush
Daurian Redstart
Brambling
Long-tailed Rosefinch
Meadow Bunting
Little Bunting (very strange here for December)
Rustic Bunting
Yellow-throated Bunting
Pallas's Reed Bunting
Ochre-rumped Bunting

No pictures today, very dark weather.

Nice walk- about Tom. Was the Willow Tit a Songar T?
Will be out on saturday with Terry and Spike.Still haven't found Gt Bs this winter so they are due to show up soon. Greatly admired your Varied Tit shots.
Best Wishes,
Brian.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back