Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Which microphone for parabolic setup?

Old Monday 5th November 2018, 08:47   #1
moeze973

Which microphone for parabolic setup?

Hey everybody!

im planning to buy the sound devices mix pre 3 and the Telinga Universal Pro MK2 kit. Can someone recommend a microphone (setup, mono? stereo?) which allows for high quality recordings?

many thanks, cheers
Old Tuesday 6th November 2018, 10:11   #2
iveljay

Unless there is someone out there who already owns the same Telingra set up, you are not going to get a definitive answer probably. Your recorder can cope with just about anything in terms of microphones and if I were in your position, I would simply see which of my existing mics fits and experiment. I believe that the mount can be used with forward and rearward facing omni's and rearwards super cardoids (check), all will produce different results and have their uses.

While you can use condensor mics as you have phantom power, in broad terms they don't like the damp, so starting with a relatively inexpensive dynamic mic (they don't want phantom power), preferably with xlr connections makes sense while you get the feeling for things. Shure SM58s are the reliable almost indestructible standard for voice work, but may be a bit heavy/bulky for your purpose, there are many inexpensive clones.
Microphones are a bit like camera lenses, the kit you use with them comes and goes, but your microphone collection tends to define who you are.

My advice is as ever pick something that looks as if it will fit, all manufacturers give dimensions of their mics. Don't spend too much money and work with it to get the best out of it and then you will have a much better idea of what you might want to spend a bit more money on. It is possible that you may end up prefering the cheaper microphone - it happens.
Old Tuesday 4th December 2018, 20:24   #3
moeze973

Hey iveljay,

thanks 4 taking your time and helping out!

that was really helpful

cheers
mat
Old Monday 10th December 2018, 22:32   #4
pdterp

You might want to check with Studiocare in Liverpool. They handle the Telanga and a wide range of microphones. I think they would have some good suggestions. They also carry a parabolic microphone that is an alternative to the Telinga.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: