Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon ED2 too long in the tooth?

Old Friday 7th December 2018, 04:42   #1
Palliam

Nikon ED2 too long in the tooth?

Hi,
I have just acquired an ED2 body boxed and in mint condition for 170 with SOC. I suspect I paid a bit over the odds but I am not too worried about this. I bought it on a whim while in a hospital waiting room waiting to have some stitches removed from my eye! I wanted a bit more reach with the 20 and 27 eyepieces I use on my ED50, but don’t want the 82 as I don’t drive and don’t want a too heavy scope. Would it have been worth hanging on and paying a bit more for an ED3? I will play with the ED2 for a few weeks and see how I like it, but am just curious what people think.
Many thanks

Last edited by Palliam : Friday 7th December 2018 at 04:53.
Old Friday 7th December 2018, 04:52   #2
b-lilja

Hi,

Check out my thread right below this one on the 60 and 82. I had an EDII from new (about 1992) and it got knocked over at the Point Reyes lighthouse about 3-4 years ago and the objective lens ring was bent, making it unserviceable. Long story short, I now have both EDIIIs. The EDII is a great scope, and I didn't think the EDIII was a big step up, but the waterproof element is really nice. I'm actually curious if you find the EDII better than the ED50.

I don't think the EDII is long in tooth - it is a classic.
Old Friday 7th December 2018, 08:14   #3
Hermann

I used the EDII for a long time before switching to the EDIII. Still got the old one though as a spare. We've got two more EDIIs in the family, so I know that scope quite well, and while the EDIII is *a bit* better optically (better coatings) and has better waterproofing, it's still a very good scope.

In fact, it it so good that I've got no complaints at all when I look through my mother's or my sister's scope on a trip. Just slightly better contrast - and that's it. Compared to the ED50 it's got slightly lower contrast due to the older coatings, but the larger objective lens is a clear advantage, and not just at higher magnifications.

I reckon you'll like it a lot ... :-)

Hermann
Old Saturday 8th December 2018, 17:37   #4
b-lilja

I also think it is notable that Better View Desired had the EDII as their reference standard (back in the 90s).
Old Saturday 8th December 2018, 18:06   #5
dwatsonbirder
Mostly off the radar

I used an EDii for a few years with the 24x DS eyepiece - an excellent combo. If you look at any images of birding in the 80's and early 90's on Scilly, its rare not to see a number of these in action.
The coatings aren't the latest (the scopes are getting on for 30 years now!) but with the more modern eyepieces, they deliver a fantastic image that's 90% as good as anything else out there. I upgraded to an ED50 and ED82, but optically the EDii is still very good. I know they weren't considered waterproof, but ever had any issues with mine - used in in rainforests in Thailand, autumn/winter on the east coast etc and never leaked and rarely steamed up. For 170, you probably got a bargain classic scope!

@axbridge_birder
Old Sunday 9th December 2018, 19:16   #6
Palliam

Thanks for the responses - they were really helpful. I am just getting back in to birding and am still finding my feet with the scopes. I was out with the 50ED yesterday and am still astonished at the quality. There is aVelvet Scoter visiting a local reservoir and I also managed to find a Green Woodpecker in an area I remembered they frequented a few years ago. Both these locations are very local to me and I could easily have taken the new (to me) ED2.
There will be a few weeks of experimenting!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: