Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Dusky Thrush in Shetland - Breaking news from RBA (12.17pm 5 Dec)

Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 16:36   #51
jhopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian H View Post
I saw this and knowing Graham for many years, I was taken aback by the veracity of Peter Stronach’s reply, which I felt was unwarranted and reflected more badly on him.
Julian, I think 'ferocity' might be more appropriate!
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 16:42   #52
edenwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Any important future Scottish records of mine will be going straight to BBRC, not the Scottish recorder. Obviously I will expect him not to use them without my permission....

John
He's just the Highland recorder. No need to cut off the whole of Scotland...

Rob

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 16:55   #53
Birdspotter

Quote:
Any important future Scottish records of mine will be going straight to BBRC, not the Scottish recorder. Obviously I will expect him not to use them without my permission....

John
There is no such person as a "Scottish recorder", what there is though, is a network of local recorders for each Region. These people send any local records to their respective rarity committee, any Scottish rarities are passed onto SBRC. British rarities are assesed by BBRC.
Hope this helps.

Birding's a drug, you bird for the adrenalin rush of a rarity, you find one, then you need your next fix.
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 17:05   #54
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Williams View Post
Can I apologise again to Mark Sutton for accidentaly missing him off the ring round for the Anglesey Black Lark. He would have made it easily first evening too.
An interesting example. I understand that a number of twitchers set off for it well before it broke on the news services. If it had not stayed overnight, I'm sure there would be plenty of gnashing of teeth for the delay on that one from many who could have got the bird the first night. I got to South Stack at about 10.30pm so too late having got out of the bath in Clevedon and picked someone up. I gave someone in a fish and chip shop in Holyhead a four letter viewpoint of that behaviour that evening though it did not effect the outcome for me.

Quite simply it is more time-consuming if a ring round does not include the news services and shows a contempt for fellow twitchers in my view. But that's my personal view.

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.

Last edited by Paul Chapman : Thursday 6th December 2018 at 18:25. Reason: Make meaning clearer
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 17:15   #55
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenwatcher View Post
He's just the Highland recorder. No need to cut off the whole of Scotland...

Rob
Thank you and Birdspotter!

I haven't the slightest intention of cutting off Scotland. Nor, of course, do more than half of Scots, which shows commendable sense and enables me to feel part of a harmonious Union.

John
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 17:17   #56
melodious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
It is amazing how many people's Twitter feeds you see these days stuffed full of pictures (often of non-rarities) that they have twitched where the individual does not consider themselves to be a twitcher..... They normally do far more twitching than me
True enough, Paul. I tried to be as general as possible with 'travel for rarities' but you could say 'any specific bird of desire they heard about'. I think the principle is 'if you don't use the news don't feel obliged to make it' with the flip 'if you do use it but don't reciprocate, well, don't be surprised if people think you are a bit of a..........'.

My sensibility is that shouts of 'suppressor!' sometimes kind of sound a bit like 'witch!', and it's heinous crime no matter who the accused is or what the circumstances are. Just a bit much, considering the subject (bird spotting).

Last edited by melodious : Thursday 6th December 2018 at 17:35. Reason: Clarification
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 17:30   #57
dantheman
Bah humbug

The example I compare it to when driving in the narrow lanes around here and you pull in for someone so they can pull past ...

It always rather annoys me when they don't raise a hand to say thanks, flash lights or even mouth a thankyou. They are under no compulsion to do so of course, and they may be registered blind or have other good excuse.

But to make the world go round really nicely and smoothly it's always great when they do at least acknowledge or thank you. It makes the world a better place.
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 18:03   #58
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodious View Post
My sensibility is that shouts of 'suppressor!' sometimes kind of sound a bit like 'witch!', and it's heinous crime no matter who the accused is or what the circumstances are. Just a bit much, considering the subject (bird spotting).
Totally agree and on many occasions in respect of species where I would not expect people to feel compelled to disseminate news proactively even if like me they have enjoyed hundreds of other people's birds and have a similar number of unknown people to thank.

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 18:11   #59
Paul Chapman

Back on the bird.....

Anyone looked today or has the weather ruled out a search?

All the best

Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 18:39   #60
Jan-Paul Charteris
Sussex birder and budding moth enthusiast

Does anyone here actually know this Highland bird recorder beyond one excessive word he used on social media? Shoot me down for saying it, if you must, but prattish as that post was, it seems the grief he's getting is a little bit excessive. If you would judge someone off one stupid social media moment, it'd certainly make me the a***hole of the world :) We've all done it

And for you Facebook birders, always good to get to know other birders https://www.facebook.com/jan.charteris?ref=tn_tnmn
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 19:02   #61
Julian H

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
The example I compare it to when driving in the narrow lanes around here and you pull in for someone so they can pull past ...

It always rather annoys me when they don't raise a hand to say thanks, flash lights or even mouth a thankyou. They are under no compulsion to do so of course, and they may be registered blind or have other good excuse.

But to make the world go round really nicely and smoothly it's always great when they do at least acknowledge or thank you. It makes the world a better place.

Ha..don't move here to the US then!! Nobody does that here!!��
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 19:32   #62
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Paul Charteris View Post
Does anyone here actually know this Highland bird recorder beyond one excessive word he used on social media? Shoot me down for saying it, if you must, but prattish as that post was, it seems the grief he's getting is a little bit excessive. If you would judge someone off one stupid social media moment, it'd certainly make me the a***hole of the world :) We've all done it
I don't think he's had much stick, I think that for an unprovoked insult such as the one he uttered, he's got off lightly, especially as a recorder who you'd think should be of good standing and not prone to such outbursts.

It would attract censure on this site for sure, well, depending who you are.
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 19:33   #63
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian H View Post
Ha..don't move here to the US then!! Nobody does that here!!��
Primitives, even Russians do it......
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 19:35   #64
Mark Batten

Quote:
Totally agree and on many occasions in respect of species where I would not expect people to feel compelled to disseminate news proactively even if like me they have enjoyed hundreds of other people's birds and have a similar number of unknown people to thank.

All the best
Paul. If only it was that simple. Many examples of local groups who keep scarce and rare birds off the radar, even to active birders in the same locality. This is in some cases resented by those who previously have put out news on their own birds, but are out of the loop on local stuff. Tit for tat then results and sub groups result formed by those excluded. The natural conclusion is that eventually people miss out on seeing a bird that would have been twitchable with little or no disturbance caused.
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 20:02   #65
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Batten View Post
Paul. If only it was that simple. Many examples of local groups who keep scarce and rare birds off the radar, even to active birders in the same locality. This is in some cases resented by those who previously have put out news on their own birds, but are out of the loop on local stuff. Tit for tat then results and sub groups result formed by those excluded. The natural conclusion is that eventually people miss out on seeing a bird that would have been twitchable with little or no disturbance caused.
Mark

Birds of local interest are problematic. I once found a Wryneck at Dinton Pastures Country Park. I confess that I almost didn't phone it out straight away but subsequently met someone who twitched it for whom it was an important bird because of its location.

Most of our local birders put news out down to Yellow-browed Warblers but one did need to be found twice this autumn. When I texted someone to tell them about it, I found out he had found it and informed some people the day before.....

But at the end of the day, you should try and make sure you take as few lists as possible too seriously so I would only ever get too excited about national ticks.

People who have always tended to be a bit slow or intermittent on news are the same on WhatsApp groups.

Any news today?

All the best

Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 23:31   #66
jogresh
Registered nutjob

Quote:
An interesting example. I understand that a number of twitchers set off for it well before it broke on the news services.
All the best
One of the 3 guys who ran Birdline NW + Birdline Wales was with the guy that took the call from the finder while at a small event at RSPB Conwy, we were with about 4 other birders at the reserve. The news was obviously relayed to the Birdline NW/Wales person on duty (as well as a load of other people including iirc RBA) straight away and was on the recorded message in no time. Pandemonium as we legged it across the site to the car park yelling incoherently at random people, cue Wacky Races. HTH did the thread get on to the Black Lark? And yes, still no update (on here) about the Dusky Thrush, assume it's been looked for so hopefully not done a bunk..
doesn't mean shit to a tree." Jefferson Airplane, Eskimo Blue Day.

Last edited by jogresh : Friday 7th December 2018 at 02:16.
Old Friday 7th December 2018, 00:05   #67
etudiant
BF Supporter 2018

Birding clearly has sociological depths which remain mysterious to us in the US.

Presumably because the country is bigger, the competition for rarities here is smaller. A tropical vagrant in Florida is balanced by an unexpected visitor in Alaska. So suppression is obviously silly for everybody who is interested in birds.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 7th December 2018, 01:58   #68
Silverwolf

When I speak of "suppression" to US birders, whether it be cases that are intentional, unintentional, justified or what have you, they just shake their heads and wonder what an earth we are doing. I must admit I do admire the openness of the US birders. We see lots of reports of private property rarities that can't be accessed, but the finders are always quick to share the sighting even in the same day.
#1045- striped honeyeater.
Old Friday 7th December 2018, 02:52   #69
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Birding clearly has sociological depths which remain mysterious to us in the US.
Sounds like a polite way of saying: “you guys are nuts”

Coming from Hong Kong which has some of thr same issues as the UK its hard to disagree.

Cheers
Mike

Hong Kong: Ultramarine Flycatcher, Rufous-faced Warbler, European Golden Plover (468)
Greater China: Franklin's Gull, Buff-breasted Sandpiper European Golden Plover (972)
Lifer: Syrian Woodpecker, Middle Spotted Woodpecker
Old Friday 7th December 2018, 08:06   #70
Acanthis

Quote:
Thank you and Birdspotter!

I haven't the slightest intention of cutting off Scotland. Nor, of course, do more than half of Scots, which shows commendable sense and enables me to feel part of a harmonious Union.

John
lol - It's never been a harmonious union which is one of it's strengths. You lot need us as a counterbalance. Remember all the crazy stuff England got up to when it was an 'independent country'.
Just ask the Americans
eBird: https://ebird.org/profile/NTA1NzAz

Last edited by Acanthis : Friday 7th December 2018 at 11:02.
Old Friday 7th December 2018, 08:28   #71
Darren Pearce

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post

I think there would be more of a problem than failing to wave if they are registered blind !!!

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 7th December 2018, 09:52   #72
jhopkins

Quote:

Presumably because the country is bigger, the competition for rarities here is smaller. A tropical vagrant in Florida is balanced by an unexpected visitor in Alaska. So suppression is obviously silly for everybody who is interested in birds.
....but we don't have birders advised not to go and see a Vermilion Flycatcher from a public road because an irate resident is firing his shotgun in the air to tell the birders to go away.....
Old Friday 7th December 2018, 12:07   #73
dan pointon
Can't Stop

Quote:

John
As per too quick dashing for the high horse to actually read the info presented - there is no such thing as the Scottish recorder, Peter is the Highland recorder. With that in mind and given the number of 'important records' unearthed during your numerous Shetland visits, I doubt much sleep is being lost over this momentous declaration

Last edited by dan pointon : Friday 7th December 2018 at 12:10.
Old Friday 7th December 2018, 13:19   #74
Birdspotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan pointon View Post
As per too quick dashing for the high horse to actually read the info presented - there is no such thing as the Scottish recorder, Peter is the Highland recorder. With that in mind and given the number of 'important records' unearthed during your numerous Shetland visits, I doubt much sleep is being lost over this momentous declaration

Maybe you should also read the info presented as John had already been set straight on this point by myself!

Birding's a drug, you bird for the adrenalin rush of a rarity, you find one, then you need your next fix.
Old Friday 7th December 2018, 13:51   #75
melodious

Quote:

Definitely a good point there. In Britain a really special rarity, first available at a weekend, and at a reasonably accessible location, could potentially attract nearly every keen twitcher in the country. There is also the issue that so much of the land in Britain is private, densly populated, and that in many locations the remnant pieces of good wildlife lhabitat are small and not used to large influxes of visitors. Certainly there are reasons why releasing news in Britain can potentially be more fraught than in the US. Still, things seem to scrape through on most occasions, though it's not surprising there is more potential for heat to be generated.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: