• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are people's thoughts on going to see the Slimbridge Spoon-Billed Sandpipers? (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Obviously not for a tick, but that aside, if it was possible to go and see them in their specially created bio-sphere reserve at Slimbridge (and it may be if you make a donation of say £100), how interested would people be?

Personally I would be, I would love to see these little gems that are later released in the wild, even through a window pane.

The project always needs additional funds, you would think that it would be possible or even quite plausible to set up.

MODS please move if you feel this is not in the right sub forum.

I'd be interested even though I've seen them in the wild. I'm not sure I'd want to pay £100 for the privilege, I could get 40% of a Reading Festival ticket for that!

I'd be interested even though I've seen them in the wild. I'm not sure I'd want to pay £100 for the privilege, I could get 40% of a Reading Festival ticket for that!

I know its a lot of money, I would because I have never seen them and it would be my only opportunity in my life. I would rather pay less but I guess there would be no chance if people were only offering small donations.

I really have no idea if it would be plausible, but money sadly talks. I would'nt in any way want to compromise the project but I have read British Birds and certain press people have been allowed a sneak. Maybe its impractical due to the secrecy of the exact location within the huge Slimbridge complex.

@wolfbirder, I've moved this thread to the 'Threatened Birds of the World' section within the Conservation subforum as this would be a more appropriate place for the subject of captive breeding.:t:

I wonder if the press paid for the privilege? After all they presumably want a 'sneak peak' in order to sell papers at the end of the day? I would be willing to donate but not a £100. I used to be a member of the WWT years ago when all you could do was stroke a NeNe;) I've also carried out quite a bit of voluntary work over the years - off to polish my halo now!

Laurie:t:

£100? It's only about 80 cups of coffee. Luckily I've seen Spoonies in the wild but, if they marketed it correctly I'm sure there are those that would pay that, and possibly more. ( 40per cent of a Reading ticket? :eek!: 40per cent of a Knebworth one I could understand. :t: )

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back