• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Neotropical rediscoveries (1 Viewer)

Hidde Bruinsma

I've just read an article in the publication "Recent Avian Extinctions" in which three very interesting Brazilian/Colombian rediscoveries were mentioned:
Bahia Tapaculo found at Itubará and Una Biological Reserve (F.Olmos & P.C.Lima in litt. 2006);
Recurve-billed Bushbird and Chestnut-bellied Flowerpiercer (O.Laverde, C.J.Sharpe & P.C.Pulgarín in litt. 2006).
I know some of you know some very cool inside information. Does anyone have some details on the rediscoveries of these three guys ?

Someone which happens to know any photos of the Recurve-billed Bushbird?

I have found photos on the Bahia Tapaculo, Chestnut-bellied Flowerpiercer and Dusky starfrontlet but not on the bushbird.

PB,
No photos of the Clytoctantes that I know of, or for that matter of the congener. For the others you mention I also have photos. Hidde, Rasmus mentioned something about the psychopompus in his correspondance to me, but I would have to search my Inbox. I had not heard about the Bushbird, and really was not aware that gloriossisima was considered possibly extinct. By the way, Rasmus is presently in Rondonia, and I imagine considering passing by the type site locale of C. atrogularis.

Are you guys sure about the photograph(s) of "gloriosissima" ? Tell me where to find them, please. This bird was never really considered extinct, just not seen for four decades but thought to survive in under-explored regions of western Colombia. It would be quite something if Rasmus would see the Rondonian Bushbird.

The tapaculo was refound at two sites: Ituberá and Una Biological Reserve, where small populations survive. Birds at the first site have been photographed and possibly found breeding.

from BirdLife species sheet

Tim

Hil,
Got here a little late. I just sent you e-mail the same pics. PB, I think I have some more of orina somewhere. I should have your e-mail somewhere, but I forgot your real name. Why don't you PM it to me again.

Tim Allwood said:
The tapaculo was refound at two sites: Ituberá and Una Biological Reserve, where small populations survive. Birds at the first site have been photographed and possibly found breeding.

from BirdLife species sheet

Tim

Thanks Tim, saves me from having to search for the e-mail.

cuckooroller said:
PB,
No photos of the Clytoctantes that I know of, or for that matter of the congener. For the others you mention I also have photos. Hidde, Rasmus mentioned something about the psychopompus in his correspondance to me, but I would have to search my Inbox. I had not heard about the Bushbird, and really was not aware that gloriossisima was considered possibly extinct. By the way, Rasmus is presently in Rondonia, and I imagine considering passing by the type site locale of C. atrogularis.

As Rasmus mentioned previously on BF (though perhaps more than a year ago), the Rondonia Bushbird has been found in Amazonas state. Its voice is also now known, and hopefully it will be found in other localities as the Madeira-Tapajós interfluvium is further explored. A couple of researchers here in Alta Floresta have been keeping eyes and ears open for it as well, in consideration of T. Parker's observation of a male bushbird in 1989 near the Rio Teles Pires.

A look at Google Earth shows that the type locality at Cachoeira Nazaré has suffered extensive habitat destruction. Perhaps the species will be found at Pousada Rio Roosevelt, a fishing lodge in Amazonas which is receiving tour groups now; a number of interesting species have already been found there.

Brad

Brad,
Thanks for the update. I guess I missed Rasmus's comments regarding the Bushbird, and good to know they have the voice. Will try and googl Pousada Rio Roosevelt later today.

Nice to hear!

Huge land, few biologists and poorly (if at all) known species requirements - in South America there will be many, many more bird rediscoveries, discoveries and surprises!

Indeed, Jurek, these are very exciting times for bird dudes like us. And there will be many more to come.
I would like to thank you, gentlemen, for all your contributions to this thread so far. Great info and marvellous photographs !

Theres a good feature that covers all the birds you mention in an issue of a magazine called NEOTROPICAL BIRDING . its called: Lost and found, a gap analysis for the neotropical avifauna. I just read a photocopy and it looks to have good photos. In the same issue is an feature about new species from latin America called: A potpourri of recently described species from the neotropics.
B :) DT

Dear All,

After reading all the news on these rarities, I´ve found some interesting info relating to the rediscovery in 2004 of the Recurve-billed Bushbird here in Venezuela, by a group of venezuelan researchers. Here goes:

"After three trips to the side of Sierra de Perija specifically to look
for the species, Recurve-billed Bushbirds were heard, then seen and
captured there during a four man CI-financed RAP expedition (consisting

of Miguel Lentino, Jorge Perez-Eman, Irving Carreño and Chris Sharpe)
under the auspices of Venezuela Audubon, Phelps Collection and IZT-UCV
in April 2004. At that time Chris Sharpe was fortunate enough to obtain what are assumed to be the first photographs and sound recordings of the species and returned with Mark and Lanie Sokol a couple of months later to take the first detailed behavioural notes and make a more accurate assessment of conservation issues. The 2004 search took place in an area in which local Colombian farmers had reported seeing the Bushbird regularly. Much of the groundwork for the Venezuelan rediscovery was carried out by Maracaibo-based birder, José Gustavo León, who was the first to find access to the Bushbird habitat and helped considerably in the subsequent trips.

Although it spread a bit in the Neotropical birding world, the news of
the rediscovery with the species in Venezuela was kept relatively quiet
for several reasons, not least of which were: a) the assumption that
CI-Venezuela should take the lead on a press release, b) that it was not desireable to have huge numbers of birders immediately descending on what (at the time) was the only know with certainty to be a small population in a
sensitive area, c) the fact that tape playback might not help the birds and, in the absence of a recording, some birders resort to using nets to obtain views of threatened species (both of which we were keen to avoid), and d) also because there were plans to return to obtain more data for publication.
Soon after, some basic information was sent to BirdLife for the IUCN Red List. This was posted as part of http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/species/index.html?action=SpcHTMDetails.asp&sid=4624&m=0
and documented in NBC's inaugural issue of "Neotropical Birding"
(http://www.neotropicalbirdclub.org/neobirding.html). Slightly more detailed information will also appear in the forthcoming 3rd edition of the Venezuelan Animals RDB (http://www.fpolar.org.ve/librorojo/librojo.htm), which was drafted in 2004 / 5. "

Initially, at least, the outlook for the Bushbird on the Venezuelan side
looks good and much better than guessed prior to 2004. Having
said that, a considerable area of extremely important, uninhabited
primary forest is currently being rapidly invaded in the foothills of
this range where the forest is being felled to plant short-term cash
crops. There appears to be no attempt to control or regulate illegal
deforestation there on the part of government agencies and political
support for the invasion. The forests there are home to several other
interesting and species, some of which are of conservation concern and
there are several undescribed taxa as well.

I´ve also read about Oscar Laverde´s finding of Bushbirds in Colombia in 2005 (http://www.ornitologiacolombiana.org/oc5/laverdeystiles.htm#1es).

There´s also more info here:
http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/species/index.html?action=SpcHTMDetails.asp&sid=4624&m=0
<http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/species/index.html?action=SpcHTMDetails.asp&sid=4624&m=0>

http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NEOO.html

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2007/07/update_on_the_smiling_bird_red.php

Cheers,

Pepe

Theres a good feature that covers all the birds you mention in an issue of a magazine called NEOTROPICAL BIRDING . its called: Lost and found, a gap analysis for the neotropical avifauna. I just read a photocopy and it looks to have good photos. In the same issue is an feature about new species from latin America called: A potpourri of recently described species from the neotropics.
B :) DT

For those who don't know, 'Neotropical Birding' is the birding magazine of the Neotropical Bird Club. The second issue of Neotropical Birding will be published in August, and will include an article on recent avian rediscoveries in the Neotropics plus two identification articles and bird finding articles for Ecuador, Guyana, Chile and Peru. Copies can be obtained as part of a subscription to the Neotropical Bird Club. You can join via www.neotropicalbirdclub.org

James

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back