• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (1 Viewer)

GGS Nr Hopwood

Few shots from earlier today, a first GGS for me!

Attachments

• Great Grey Shrike.jpg
    Great Grey Shrike.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Great Grey Shrike-2.jpg
    Great Grey Shrike-2.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Great Grey Shrike in flight.jpg
    Great Grey Shrike in flight.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 119
G G Shrike Hopwood

There's a good chance the Shrike will winter here, IF IT'S NOT HARRASSED.

Chris. T.

Last edited:
This field is not only used by me as a patch but dog walkers use it.
Also a chap flies his Goshawk as does another with 2 Harris Hawks.
THe worse one is the people who bait the top pond and shoot there.

Keith. :t:

As I got out of the car this morning and looked over the field 3 Deer were bounding down the field.
They suddenly stopped as if they had heard Pete snapping them,so grabbed the Kit and got a few from the layby.

Then at last light this evening about 5 of us saw this Fox sneaking along the rise....
Keith :t:

Attachments

• Deer 1.jpg
    Deer 1.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Deer 2.jpg
    Deer 2.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 73
  • Deer 3.jpg
    Deer 3.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Fox 1.jpg
    Fox 1.jpg
    777.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Fox 2.jpg
    Fox 2.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 96
A few to show the site for those that have not been.

1...from the layby.
2/3..main area where the shrike hunts....but was at the place right over by the very far Oak trees later in the day.
4/5 Some of the lucky spotters.

Attachments

• unnamed (18).jpg
    unnamed (18).jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 112
  • unnamed (8).jpg
    unnamed (8).jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 106
  • unnamed (17).jpg
    unnamed (17).jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 89
  • unnamed (16).jpg
    unnamed (16).jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 137
  • unnamed (14).jpg
    unnamed (14).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Forgot to mention with all the "excitement" of the Shrike that there were loads of Siskin...Redpoll and LTTits in the trees at the start of the bridlepath to Upper in the week.Could not get any decent pics just enough to do an I.D.

Attachments

• Canon 224 042.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 224 042.jpg low.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Canon 224 046.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 224 046.jpg low.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 78
Keith, the deer heard the car doors being shut and then legged it. I know the 7D shutter isn't the most quiet, but still...

I'm sure I'll be criticised for going round and into the fields, but I found somewhere to hide myself against a few tall bushes, and waited for nigh on 2 hours, watching the bird perch, swoop down, catch and eat, or return to its larder with prey, be chased by magpies and ignore both close-flying herons and buzzards.

When it finally did start to come within range, it was spooked by other birders walking straight at it. Before flying off into another field. After another hour, it returned to where it appears to roost, but chose to fly down the hill this time. Like other shrikes I've watched, it covers a huge area.

And then the hail arrived. Reward for standing in a marsh for hours... It doesn't "hide". It relocates. It's easy for it to be hidden from the road, as the field has hills and dips. When most people were scanning for it from the road, it was perched in a dip in the field in front of them, or behind the thorn bushes at the back.

Keith, the deer heard the car doors being shut and then legged it. I know the 7D shutter isn't the most quiet, but still...

I'm sure I'll be criticised for going round and into the fields, but I found somewhere to hide myself against a few tall bushes, and waited for nigh on 2 hours, watching the bird perch, swoop down, catch and eat, or return to its larder with prey, be chased by magpies and ignore both close-flying herons and buzzards.

When it finally did start to come within range, it was spooked by other birders walking straight at it. Before flying off into another field. After another hour, it returned to where it appears to roost, but chose to fly down the hill this time. Like other shrikes I've watched, it covers a huge area.

And then the hail arrived. Reward for standing in a marsh for hours... It doesn't "hide". It relocates. It's easy for it to be hidden from the road, as the field has hills and dips. When most people were scanning for it from the road, it was perched in a dip in the field in front of them, or behind the thorn bushes at the back.

I was just joking about your clicking...lol...will put some padding on my doors....

You did well using the features to find a place out of sight but around its favoured place but always putting the birds welfare first.
I know the lie of the land in this field and knew it was around the back of the bushes so was able to approach while being hidden.
As you say the people who walked in from the other side did not know where it was and just put it up.
It is my 1st Shrike so I do not know its habits apart from watching this one.Last thing last night it was thought to be favouring the fields nearer the canal ...but the hunting area for it is huge as there are so many fields in the plantation so it can "go missing" or probably thought to have gone altogether but just be in another part of the site.

It hadn't seen you approaching; if it had, it wouldn't have flown towards you, and then off over your head.

Plenty of rodents in the fields. Kept hearing them squeak or scuttle past where I was standing. They might have drowned since then though! What a grim day.

Good spot of the redpoll etc down by the lakes.

If bird information services recommend "only view from the road" that should be adhered to by everyone.Birders can travel miles to see a scarce bird & do not want to see a tog in the area where the bird was last seen. Coincidently the Shrike returned after the hailstorm & the field was left undisturbed.
I myself like photographing birds albeit mainly record shots, but my priority is birding & photos a bonus. Anyone, togs or birders should give thought to others travelling to see a bird & the main priority the welfare of the bird itself. Let it feed!

Hughie.

As has previously been said, the area is used by dog-walkers, falconers and shooters. I don't know to what level, but I'd suggest that any of these groups is likely to inadvertently disturb the shrike during the course of their 'activities'. Any such disturbance will be annoying for birders and togs, but these people, presumably have as much (if not more?) right to be there than any of the people looking for the shrike (apart from perhaps KeithR). However none of these groups is likely to pursue and harass the bird to try and obtain better views - that will be 100% down to birders and togs. So, if you want the bird to remain for the winter (I do), stay out of the fields...

Presumably no sign of the GGS yesterday due to the weather; any news from today?

Edit: just come on pager as present at 11am today.

Last edited:
As has previously been said, the area is used by dog-walkers, falconers and shooters. I don't know to what level, but I'd suggest that any of these groups is likely to inadvertently disturb the shrike during the course of their 'activities'. Any such disturbance will be annoying for birders and togs, but these people, presumably have as much (if not more?) right to be there than any of the people looking for the shrike (apart from perhaps KeithR). However none of these groups is likely to pursue and harass the bird to try and obtain better views - that will be 100% down to birders and togs. So, if you want the bird to remain for the winter (I do), stay out of the fields...

Couldn't agree more. Information services again urging people to view from the road. Is it such a problem? I had excellent scope views eventually yesterday & even got some record shots.
Then again, scopes are not part of the current togs equipment are they. Some don't even possess bins!
How times change.

Hughie.

Some of us togs have enough to carry, without a scope too. I have bins, though my lens has greater reach.

People on the road might not need a scope to view the bird, if they disguised their form using the hedge or trees along there, stayed as still and quiet as possible.

Hardly anyone there today though, both times I drove by.

2 visits and no joy....about 9am and just.
Good to meet cookie1who bad seen it a bit earlier. ...but dark skies then rain stopped play....bloody sunny now I am back home.

As for accessing the field. .....find the bird 1st and obviously if its in front of you dont go in......also if you dont know where it is dont go in.
It helps if you know what the lie of the land is.How to get to the best viewpoint by not going out in the open.
The people who walked in from the canal entrance on Sunday and put it up did not know where it was...I hope !
But having said that later in the evening I watched a horse person in high vis and walking a horse, enter and walk it around before leaving again.This a common sight as the farm is a horse boarding place.
Keith

I saw you parked up Keith, as I went by for the 4th time. Christmas trips. I popped up before you, at about 2:45pm, and it was perched in one of the taller trees at the back, before swooping down to the lower plantation again, where I lost sight of it.

Nice to see a kestrel hunting the same area again. And a buzzard over the trees at the top of the hill, where the road goes back to a 40 limit.

4PM....
It was low in the small bronze trees below the house to the left of the canal entrance..as found by spotters in Blue Clio...thanks...I could not see it from the gate area.

Yes the Kestrel and Buzzards (at least 2) as well as about 1/2 dozen Herons were hunting around here ...only need an Owl...PLEASE...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back