• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (1 Viewer)

Pair of Peregrine on the deck Excellent find I have seen one perched on the shoreline of the Upper Reser years ago. Its often the view you get of Peregrine at Slimbridge miles out on the Dumbles perched on the saltmarsh.

After taking the pic I went down to the field and spotted one flying off into a small wood not far from the old east works of Rover.It was around here that I saw some falcons and Kestrels "having a go at each other" a few years ago.

SEE MAP...
A...Where they were on floor.
B...small one flew to here.
C...Another flew from here
D....went to here.
E...As I walked towards the dead tree on flew from here
F ..it went into this wood.

I was at X in the bottom when saw them.
Keith

Attachments

• Peregrine Map.jpg
    Peregrine Map.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 202
Thursday 17th Jan.

Mill Shrub totally frozen and Lower 50%.
A patch in far right open as well as a tiny patch by the gate......it was being kept open by about a dozen Tufteds and a Pochard.All the other Pochard were over the far right.
It's a crap place to get a good look now that the road works (????) barriers are here and as I tried to get a closer look the Pochard flew and took 1/2 the Tufteds with him.
Keith
A merry go round of Tufted Duck keeping the ice away.Also shows the colour of the water.

Attachments

• Merry Go Round.jpg
    Merry Go Round.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 195
Flock of over 100 maily Siskin with a few Redpoll flying around the area today moving between the Bittell Reservoirs and the Cofton Reservoir area.

Monday 28th...12-1 pm
Lower Bittell. totally thawed out ...very clay coloured and like the North Sea with a wicked icy wind blowing into your face when standing on the road.Just one Male Tufted and 2 Mallard.
A Buzzard flew out of trees on left by lane to Upper and across to the trees just along from white boat.

Mill Shrub totally frozen apart from small area where wind blowing up the overflow under the road.

The 100 + flock of SISKIN were wheeling around the tree tops either side of road and on the bend.
A terrible day to see if any Redpoll in there as it was so dark with drizzle lashing down...got some pics and could only see the Siskin.

Keith :t:

Tues 29th...1pm

Both Lower bittell pools virtually ice free today and wind down to force 8...he he
Just little pockets of water birds...Mallard...Pochard (6-8)...Tufted....and 11 Male. Teal and 2 female.
6 Herons hanging around shore under far side road.
Siskins not showing today.
Keith

1...4 of the Heron
2....The Teal.
Need a giant lens or a scope....lol

Attachments

• Canon 50 001.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 50 001.jpg low.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 160
  • Canon 50 010.jpg
    Canon 50 010.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 189
Nowt around Wednesday......Thursday 31st.....
Pair Goosander and a Male Pochard on Mill Shrub.Not a lot on Lower though...probably due to the even deepening gale force wind.
About to leave when a couple of flocks of Siskin showed up,about 80 all together...then a small amount of Long Tailed Tits.
Got some better shots today despite the trees swaying - the birds never still - me being blown off my feet and hand held while dodging all the B**** cars on the causeway.....3:)
I have also found out where the Kingfisher has been finding grub during the wet weather but still a mystery where it goes when everythings frozen.Might only be a stop gap though.....
A nice healthy crowd of House Sparrow in the hedges at back of M42 services....Yellowhammer with them when snow was about but not today.

Attachments

• Sis Male.jpg
    Sis Male.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 204
  • Sis Fem.jpg
    Sis Fem.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Bitt King.jpg
    Bitt King.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 204
  • Canon 52 047.jpglow.jpg
    Canon 52 047.jpglow.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 179
Friday 1st Feb.....
Very quite again.......No Goosanders , Siskin or Kingy :-C
Just Tufteds,G.C.Grebes and Pochard....

Finally got a decent snap of male Pochard on Mill Shrub...the wash showing the clay coloured water.
This Heron came from Upper over the trees to Lower as I was getting in car.

Attachments

• Canon 53 008.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 53 008.jpg low.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Canon 53 022.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 53 022.jpg low.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Lower Bittell today had 3 Goldeneye-1 drake, 2 Wigeon- pr, Tufties and several Pochard.
No obvious ice but good covering of snow

Lower Bittell today had 3 Goldeneye-1 drake, 2 Wigeon- pr, Tufties and several Pochard.
No obvious ice but good covering of snow

Typical - the one day I don't go and a Drake Goldeneye turns up.

Nothing much on Upper or Mill Shrub and about 10 Pochard and 4 Teal (2M- 2 F). on Lower.
50 ish Siskin visiting all the trees around causeway flew off to north edge of lower.
About 10 Tufted on the top of the fish ponds.
A buzzard flew out of trees on corner of causeway (lower) and I disturbed one on tree in fields opposite last house in Cofton Church lane on way down and then again on way up 1/2 hour later.
Thought I noticed something on grass verge above Lower Bittell on way from Hopwood and could not park until by the footpath to upper.AS I walked back a load of cars and a lorry were within a foot of it and it did not move.Got a shot as I walked nearer and then....it flew off...damn I thought it was too cold for it to fly.Went over towards the fishery fields...must be one of the ones I heard all summer over there.(Green Woody)
While looking on the causeway nearly had my head knocked of by Swan No 148 or 14 B.
Keith
1. Walking back to Hopwood - bird in snow.
2. crop of above.
3. Female Tufted on fish pond.
4. Swanny.So close - full frame

Attachments

• Canon 56 002.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 56 002.jpg low.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 162
  • Canon 56 002 A.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 56 002 A.jpg low.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Canon 56 014.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 56 014.jpg low.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 144
  • Canon 56 003.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 56 003.jpg low.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

Nothing mutch on Upper or Mill Shrub and about 10 Pochard and 4 Teal (2M- 2 F). on Lower.
50 ish Siskin visiting all the trees around causeway flew off to north edge of lower.
A buzzard flew out of trees on corner of causeway (lower) and I disturbed one on tree in fields opposite last house in Cofton Church lane on way down and then again on way up 1/2 hour later.
Thought I noticed something on grass verge above Lower Bittell on way from Hopwood and could not park until by the footpath to upper.AS I walked back a load of cars and a lorry were within a foot of it and it did not move.Got a shot as I walked nearer and then....it flew off...damn I thought it was too cold for it to fly.Went over towards the fishery fields...must be one of the ones I heard all summer over there.
While looking on the causeway nearly had my head knocked of by Swan No 148 or 14 B.
Keith
2. crop of above.

That must be the coldest Green Woodpecker around! - I hope it moved on and didn't become a blue frostpecker.

That must be the coldest Green Woodpecker around! - I hope it moved on and didn't become a blue frostpecker.

:-O :-O :-O

Wednesday 13th 2013.

In a full Blizzard around lunchtime and could not linger long around Lower.
Hard to see as camera and bins were steaming up and getting soaked.
Virtually nowt on show on Lower and a couple of mallard - 5 Tufted and 2 Female Pochard ( ?? see pics) all hiding close in to the road edge of Mill Shrub...until I stuck my head over the hedge.

On way to work via Alvechurch Highway to M5 nabbed the buzzard in a friendly - not much B******ing off mood.think it must have been hungry and felt sorry that I had disturbed it.

On the Upton warren debate about localised species - there's a sizeable amount of Fieldfare in fields at back of M42 services near Hopwood (near Petes Owl) and also some Yellowhamers.

Keith

Attachments

• Canon 57 002.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 57 002.jpg low.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Canon 57 003.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 57 003.jpg low.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Canon 57 009.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 57 009.jpg low.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Canon 57 017 A.jpg small.jpg
    Canon 57 017 A.jpg small.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Canon 57 010.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 57 010.jpg low.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Not the pic I wanted from my back up camera - trying to show the blizzard but a mixture of everything steamed over and having it set to mono did not help...Oh yes also late for work and froze...:-O

Attachments

• Mill Shrub.jpg
    Mill Shrub.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 172

Nothing much on Upper or Mill Shrub and about 10 Pochard and 4 Teal (2M- 2 F). on Lower.
Thought I noticed something on grass verge above Lower Bittell on way from Hopwood and could not park until by the footpath to upper.AS I walked back a load of cars and a lorry were within a foot of it and it did not move.Got a shot as I walked nearer and then....it flew off...damn I thought it was too cold for it to fly.Went over towards the fishery fields...must be one of the ones I heard all summer over there.(Green Woody)
Keith
2. crop of above.

Hi Keith,

Just to let you know your Mute Swan ring number 148 was originally rung at Hooks Marsh, Essex 22.02.12 and subsequently seen at Bowyers Water, herts 30.11.12 and then Rye Meads, herts 22.12.12 before your sighting.

If you see this bird or any other darvic or colour ringed bird use http://www.cr-birding.org/ any navigate your way through there to find the correct scheme and then report the bird.

Hi Keith,

Just to let you know your Mute Swan ring number 148 was originally rung at Hooks Marsh, Essex 22.02.12 and subsequently seen at Bowyers Water, herts 30.11.12 and then Rye Meads, herts 22.12.12 before your sighting.

If you see this bird or any other darvic or colour ringed bird use http://www.cr-birding.org/ any navigate your way through there to find the correct scheme and then report the bird.

Blimey that's amazing...I thought they were all just local birds...must be on a winter holiday!!
One in the eye for all those who see NO benefit in ringing.
Cheers,

Tues 19th Feb

Very quiet at the 2 lower pools....with some ice remaining in one corner of Shrub Mill.
Lots of activity in the tree tops with some songs that even I caught bits of - a miracle as I am almost deaf to bird song....

A few Tufteds came close to the hedge for a change though.

Moved on around the lanes south of Barnt Green to see if any Kestrels or Buzzards were about....eventually tracked down 2 Kestrels (both female) at their usual areas and a Buzzard by the M42 at Coopers Hill.
Best spot was a field full of Fieldfare and some Mistle Thrushes alongside the usual Wood Pigeons,Gulls and Corvids around the Prison area.

1...Bittell Tufty
2-4...Barnt Green Kestrels.

Attachments

• Canon 63 006.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 63 006.jpg low.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Canon 63 020 a.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 63 020 a.jpg low.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 180
  • Canon 63 022 a.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 63 022 a.jpg low.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Canon 63 025 a.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 63 025 a.jpg low.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Still not seen the Male Smew....think he hates me !!!

Large flock of Fieldfare and a nice pair of Mistles in lane between Westmead and Hopwood Cricket club at 5pm.

Got the Smew around 9.20 on Lower but it was on Mill Shrub even earlier.
There was an angler in a boat at its favoured place around by the canal so it was on left side in and around the reeds.

Re-visited 3 times and it was moving around to right corner (out of sight) and then back in reeds on left.Might have gone to spend the night on Upper like it probably did last night.

A couple of Pairs of Teal and a female Goldeneye complimented the resident Coot,Morehen,Pochards and Herons.
Keith:t:

A distant I.D. shot only...

Attachments

• Canon 66 043.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 66 043.jpg low.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Me and a chap named Graham from Yardley Wood had a session at Lower this morning - looking for Mr Smew.
Finally spotted him on far shore heading towards tow path area.
Walked round and Graham spotted a white flash go left towards the No Admittance gate on other tow path.We bit the bullet and entered slowly and he was right against the wall in the small bit of reeds - we knew this as he flew out and back around to the causeway.
Got back there and he only stayed a second and flew to far right corner.
Eventually got him on back shore again but just preening for ages...we were looking at Shrub Mill and getting ready to go when I spotted a bird coming overhead - I said it was a Goosander Male...which went to the end of Shrub Mill to where I thought the ponds or even then right to Upper.
Almost straight away the same thing happened again but this time it did a 180 and back onto Lower towards far end...Graham said as it turned above us he thought it "our" Smew...he was right..
Now the thing is was it ....
a goosander and Smew...
one Smew doing 2 flights(would have been impossible as it did not have time to get back around us and then fly back again....
or are there 2 Smew
A mystery forever.
There again could it have been a Male and Female Smew or...Smew and female Goleneye (there was one around.

Pic is one from Saturday- the Grebe came close to the gate area.Non on Shrub Mill yet...wonder if they will attempt to breed this year

Attachments

• Canon 66 041.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 66 041.jpg low.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Got the Smew around 9.20 on Lower but it was on Mill Shrub even earlier.
There was an angler in a boat at its favoured place around by the canal so it was on left side in and around the reeds.

Re-visited 3 times and it was moving around to right corner (out of sight) and then back in reeds on left.Might have gone to spend the night on Upper like it probably did last night.

A couple of Pairs of Teal and a female Goldeneye complimented the resident Coot,Morehen,Pochards and Herons.
Keith:t:

A distant I.D. shot only...

Just a quick thanks Keith,viewed your post yesterday , down first thing this morning to "bag" a cracking bird ! - my first sighting of a male in Worc's. (I think we spoke at the causway while looking at the little beauty fishing this morning. ) Cheers Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back