• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you let a house martin go? (1 Viewer)

If so could you please help me. Today my baby managed to cover about 100 metres twice but each time it decided to land again.
Should I try to give him a really could throw this evening when the gang comes around for the evening "show" or is it still too early?
Oriel

Very good news that it's flying, if it's crash landing on the ground maybe it needs another day or two, would still try to get it independant as soon as possible. Feed it up well, keep trying to launch it and it it seems to make it to overhead wires, then maybe time to relax and let him try his luck.
Feel very proud you've kept him alive, baby insectivores are not easy...

We had quite a thick fog this morning and I didn't see his family doing the usual a.m. parade so I think I'll wait till tomorrow to try again. What would happen if it went flying off without other house martins to follow?
As you can probably tell I'm getting very nervous about everything mainly because most of the gardens are walled around my area and the occupants away on holiday so if it crosses my walls and crash lands chez someone else it will either starve on be eaten by a cat.
Would I be better to take it to the park to practice flying though I have't seen other house martins down at the park?

My instinct is that you seem to be doing a good job, but a young House Martin should not really need flying experience - in the natural situation they leave the nest when ready to fly. Would be better (I think) for him to be realised when other House Martins are overhead, but I understand your worry that he might end up on the ground in a neighbour's garden. Try the park :)

He's back with the flock!!
After half an hour wait with him on my hand he started to chirp loudly and when I looked up high I saw why. The older house martin came down lower so I threw my chick and he went. Other house martins came to join them doing circles around the garden and although at first he seemed to be flapping more than the others after a while he got the hang of doing a bit of gliding as well so eventually I couldn't tell him from the others.
Thank you Jos for all your help and support.
PS.It was interesting to read your bit on teaching English.
Oriel.

Excellent!!! Too many stories like that end with a sorry finale ...all I can say is give yourself a big pat on the back, a wonderful job.

I hope we'll still see you occasionally visiting us on the forum :) Get yourself a pair of binoculars you'll soon be a birdwatcher fully-fledged! If you're ever up in this part of Europe, send me a message, I'll show you around

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back