• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (2 Viewers)

You regularly encounter feral types throughout the main Shetlands, Orkneys and Western Isles. Anyone have experience of what they look like on say Foula? Or whether there is a population on St Kilda?

All the best

Rock Dove from Foula. Most of them look like this, but the odd obvious feral or racer turns up.

Attachments

• Rock Dove (15).jpg
    Rock Dove (15).jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 85
So what of the Bempton birds?

They nest on the cliffs and forage in the fields?

A

Harder to find a good-looking one at Bempton these days though.

I run a general rule that in the Scottish islands and the very far North of the mainland one that looks right is OK and big flocks must be 95% or more - so only one duffer allowed in twenty birds.

From a year-listing point of view its utterly irrelevant, any scabby old town feral will do: its purely for aesthetic reasons.

John

John

Harder to find a good-looking one at Bempton these days though.

I run a general rule that in the Scottish islands and the very far North of the mainland one that looks right is OK and big flocks must be 95% or more - so only one duffer allowed in twenty birds.

From a year-listing point of view its utterly irrelevant, any scabby old town feral will do: its purely for aesthetic reasons.

If they did want a 'genuine' Rock Dove, Barra would have been the obvious place to look :t:

"Ganz großes Kino" (= something as huge cinema) as we say here. Big congrats on that species!! What do you think? Does it reach the top ten of their rarest WP species this year?

Probably just outside on records:-
Pale Martin
African Grey Woodpecker
Grey-tailed Tattler
Black Heron
Pied Crow
Long-toed Stint
Bateleur
Pacific Diver
Snowy Egret
White-winged Scoter
Thayer's Gull
Elegant Tern
White-winged Scoter
American Redstart

Hopefully, it will slip further down in the Azores. I think that they should be thinking about Sooty Shearwater, American Golden Plover & Forster's Tern now?

All the best

Pale Martin
African Grey Woodpecker
Grey-tailed Tattler
Black Heron
Pied Crow
Long-toed Stint
Bateleur
Pacific Diver
Snowy Egret
White-winged Scoter
Thayer's Gull
Elegant Tern
White-winged Scoter
American Redstart

But definitely top 10 in 'rarity value'? Beating the rare waterbird/gull/long-stayer types.

Pale Martin
African Grey Woodpecker
Grey-tailed Tattler
Black Heron
Pied Crow
Long-toed Stint
Bateleur
Pacific Diver
Snowy Egret
White-winged Scoter
Thayer's Gull
Elegant Tern
White-winged Scoter
American Redstart

Elegant Tern is surely more common than American Redstart - at least five records this year alone, including breeding pair. In recent years, probably would also say Pied Crow has been an easier species to catch up with, even if technically less records.

Hasn't the Kuwaiti RC shelved the stint?

PS White-winged Scoter is on the list twice :)

Elegant Tern is surely more common than American Redstart - at least five records this year alone, including breeding pair. In recent years, probably would also say Pied Crow has been an easier species to catch up with, even if technically less records.

Hasn't the Kuwaiti RC shelved the stint?

PS White-winged Scoter is on the list twice :)

Also Thayer's Gull now down rated to subspecies of Iceland Gull so debatable that it should be on the list.

Based upon numbers of birders who have it on their WP list, I would guess Black-headed Penduline Tit could be a contender.

Pale Martin
African Grey Woodpecker
Grey-tailed Tattler
Black Heron
Pied Crow
Long-toed Stint
Bateleur
Pacific Diver
Snowy Egret
White-winged Scoter
Thayer's Gull
Elegant Tern
White-winged Scoter
American Redstart

Though I'd guess African Grey Woodpecker and some of their other Mauritanian birds are regular residents, just highly inaccessible for primarily political reasons.

And ditto to Thayer's Gull shouldn't be on any more!

Thayer's Gull - yep subspecies so delete
White-winged Scoter - delete first
African Grey Woodpecker - only three individuals so far?
Pied Crow - about a dozen individuals?
Long-toed Stint - yes - rejected or not proven currently but still on their list so I included it.
Elegant Tern - aren't all this year's repeats so still less than 24 individuals for American Redstart?

Pale Martin
African Grey Woodpecker
Grey-tailed Tattler
Black Heron
Pied Crow
Long-toed Stint
Bateleur
Pacific Diver
Snowy Egret
Elegant Tern
White-winged Scoter
American Redstart

All the best

Yep, but that's presumably because only 3 birders have managed to get there; I'd think the AGW are likely permanent residents there?

Presumably currently resident but as far as I am aware, there is an absence of historical records before this recent run and before the political instability so presumably a recent coloniser and maybe even a temporary one?

All the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back