Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Trying to create my North American list

Old Thursday 8th January 2004, 20:31   #1
Wildflower

Trying to create my North American list

I went trough all lists I have but I am not certain what to do with some birds. There is a large number of birds that we saw in Central America, and some in Galapagos and Africa. They are on the North American list as well. Do I put them on my list or do I have to see them in the US or Canada in order to include them?

There is great meaning in life for those who are willing to journey (J. England)
Old Thursday 8th January 2004, 21:14   #2
Dave B Smith

Wildflower,
Lists are generally just personal things but there are a few "norms". For North American birds the ABA checklist is one guide. They do NOT include Mexico even though it is IN North America. Then you have a slightly wider ranging list if you use the AOU checklist, they include all North America and Central America (their list can be downloaded from their website). Then for a "World List" there are two principal ones, the Sibley-Monroe and the Clement's lists.

When you add a bird, yes, it is important to note the location. For example a Crested Caracara that you saw in Mexico would count on your AOU list, would count on your world list and would count on your Life list. It would not count on your ABA list.

There are a number of previous threads on lists that will add lots more minor (and maybe some major) details.

Hope this helps.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: