• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of East Africa (1 Viewer)

QUICK-FIND INDEX to first edition

Due to an upcoming trip to the area (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=332268) , I compiled myself another one of my quick-find indices that I consider most helpful. So here it is in case anyone wants to use it as well. Feel free to print and glue it into your book. It is for the first edition (obviously). I have the hardcover version, but I think it should fit into the paperback version as well. The idea is to glue it into the book somewhere. I suggest using the blank reverse side of the maps.

I have attached two versions, a Word file that one can adapt for personal likes. And there is also a PDF version in case your computer does not want unknown Word files.

Just to make sure it is all clear. This is for the book Field Guide to the Birds of East Africa, by Terry Stevenson and John Fanshawe. First edition, originally issued 2002 according to the book. (I actually got mine in October 2001.)

- By the way, the second edition is due by the end of July 2017, if there are no further delays.

Edit: 1: Use horizontal format, if it does not automatically do it.
2: I notice my PDF prints lighter than the Word version. Might just be my PDF version, but I'd be interested to know whether you experience the same difference.

Attachments

• BIRDS OF EAST AFRICA 1st ed _ QUICK-FIND INDEX by PLATE NUMBERS.doc
    45.5 KB · Views: 35
  • BIRDS OF EAST AFRICA 1st ed. QUICK-FIND INDEX by PLATE NUMBERS PDF.pdf
    15.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Thanks Andy. I had never noticed there was such a guide in the making. Would be nice if it came out, though my sound memory is so poor that recordings have limited value to me. Unless I can use them immediately for attracting a species.

According to online info a year or two ago there will be no separate sound CD. All the sounds are incorporated in the Android app found here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.coolideas.eproducts.birdsofeastafrica&hl=sv . It also available for iPhones.

// Jonas

Thanks Jonas,
the sound guide was supposed to be out 2-3 years ago now, I think it's been abandoned.

Can you tell me how these apps work. I'm old and tech just confuses me, can you put them on an IPOD or similar device?

Andy

Last edited:
Can you tell me how these apps work. I'm old and tech just confuses me, can you put them on an IPOD or similar device?

Hi!
You need to install the App on an Android Smartphone or an iPhone. As far as I understand it's not possible to install the sound files separately on an iPod or similar device. The sound files are most likely locked and the app do not give permissions to other programs for them to read/write. However, I'm no expert on smartphone apps so don't take my words for granted.

A friend of mine bought the app and he's pretty happy with its performance. Calls from more than 1000 species is included.

Regards // Jonas

Hi!
You need to install the App on an Android Smartphone or an iPhone. As far as I understand it's not possible to install the sound files separately on an iPod or similar device. The sound files are most likely locked and the app do not give permissions to other programs for them to read/write. However, I'm no expert on smartphone apps so don't take my words for granted.

A friend of mine bought the app and he's pretty happy with its performance. Calls from more than 1000 species is included.

Regards // Jonas

Thanks Jonas,
is the whole thing stored on the phone or does it depend on internet access to retrieve the calls? Issues with internet access and battery life on a phone if you're birding all day?

Cheers, Andy

Thanks Jonas,
is the whole thing stored on the phone or does it depend on internet access to retrieve the calls? Issues with internet access and battery life on a phone if you're birding all day?

Cheers, Andy

It's all stored on the phone. Internet access is only required for the initial install.

Due to an upcoming trip to the area (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=332268) , I compiled myself another one of my quick-find indices that I consider most helpful. So here it is in case anyone wants to use it as well. Feel free to print and glue it into your book. It is for the first edition (obviously). I have the hardcover version, but I think it should fit into the paperback version as well. The idea is to glue it into the book somewhere. I suggest using the blank reverse side of the maps.

I have attached two versions, a Word file that one can adapt for personal likes. And there is also a PDF version in case your computer does not want unknown Word files.

Just to make sure it is all clear. This is for the book Field Guide to the Birds of East Africa, by Terry Stevenson and John Fanshawe. First edition, originally issued 2002 according to the book. (I actually got mine in October 2001.)

- By the way, the second edition is due by the end of July 2017, if there are no further delays.

Edit: 1: Use horizontal format, if it does not automatically do it.
2: I notice my PDF prints lighter than the Word version. Might just be my PDF version, but I'd be interested to know whether you experience the same difference.

Thanks for posting SB. Your posts inspired me to make similar posts regarding other guides. Though hopefully field guide authors will get the message soon and always include a quick index themselves.

As for the second edition, I've seen no evidence yet that it's anything more than an idea. Previous forthcoming dates have come and gone with nothing happening except a later date being announced. Personally, I'd assume it's not happening until we see some concrete evidence otherwise.

Thanks for posting SB. Your posts inspired me to make similar posts regarding other guides. Though hopefully field guide authors will get the message soon and always include a quick index themselves.

As for the second edition, I've seen no evidence yet that it's anything more than an idea. Previous forthcoming dates have come and gone with nothing happening except a later date being announced. Personally, I'd assume it's not happening until we see some concrete evidence otherwise.

Thanks for the other info Jim,
my supplier has a date of 27 Jul 17 for the book but as you say, this and many others have followed a now predictable pattern of constant re-scheduling and some may never happen?

Andy

At least there is a all new attractive front cover to look at!
http://www.nhbs.com/title/204316/birds-of-east-africa

But then, we have had this for "Birds of Argentina" for probably about a decade.

Last edited:
I posted not long ago about Argentina, I was told unofficially that it's not happening but Jim Martin says it is?

Andy

I wouldn't believe anything you get told unofficially ... :)

Birds of East Africa (second edition) - yes, this is happening. It is underway, text is being written and art painted. I can't remember offhand when the pub date is but it in 2019 some time.

Jim

Birds of East Africa (second edition) - yes, this is happening. It is underway, text is being written and art painted. I can't remember offhand when the pub date is but it in 2019 some time.

Jim

Mongolia Jim?

Andy

Jim

And how about African Raptors by Bill Clark and Rob Davies?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back