• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

still cant decide (1 Viewer)

dolores

i am still trying to figure out if i should buy a nikon d50 or d70.i am new slr cameras .can anyone help with details between the two.

also i dont understand about different types of lenses.where can i read up to learn what they are and what i need.
really be grateful for sum input.

advice

hi keith
i am looking to photo birds and wildlife and also digicsope if possible.i am restricted on budget at the mo but maybe one day will be able to buy more expensive lenses,
would appreciate yr advice
Keith Reeder said:
Dolores,

what kind of photography are you aspiring to?

Well the D50 is very good for punchy, good-looking, low noise images straight out of the camera - it's well known for that, and in a lot of ways it's a logical step up from a point & shoot camera.

The D70 is less "instant" unless you make a point of changing many of the camera's default image settings, and (to be fair) it has more of a tendency to noise at higher ISO values.

I never bothered with that because I'm a convert to NEF (RAW) photography and can tweak to my heart's content on my PC.

The flipside of the D50's good noise performance is that - due in part to fairly aggressive in-camera noise reduction processing - there is apparently the potential for some loss of detail. To be honest, I think you'd have to be looking really hard to spot any loss of detail in most pictures that the D50 delivers.

However, some of the settings which literally are at a D70 user's fingertips via buttons or dials on the body of the camera are only accessible via the menu on the D50.

I wouldn't get on with that (I like being able to muck about with various settings, and it's also true that I'm rarely out in the same light conditions twice in a row), but many D50 users don't mind that at all.

In fact, one of my favourite Gallery contributors, Greypoint, was a D70 user for a long time (her images were the reason why I bought a D70) but she's since moved onto a D50 - I believe the D70 needed repair and the D50 was initially a "stop-gap") and in truth, she's never looked back.

But she's using good lenses too...

The D70 uses Compact Flash (CF) cards, whereas the D50 uses SD cards which many people upgrading from point & shoot digitals already have a collection of.

Aside from that, many of the differences between the two cameras are pretty esoteric: no option to have grid lines in the viewfinder of the D50 (very useful for ensuring the horizon is horizontal!); the ISO settings in the D70 are in smaller steps; there's only one command wheel/dial on the D50; the D50 doesn't have a Depth Of Field (DOF) preview button; the D70 only uses an Infra Red remote... and so on.

You should also note that the D70s is different again to the D70 and D50 in several important ways.

None of these might matter to you at all. And bear in mind that the lens you end up with is at least as important in the equation as the body you pick (and very probably more so, because once you've got your lenses you can change/upgrade bodies, but you'll keep the lenses).

One thing I've read several times about the two cameras is "the D70 is a camera to grow into, but the D50 is a camera to grow out of..." and personally I'd say that was about right, but I can't speak for you!

;)

Here's a very useful answer to the same question you're asking:
http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=15039&forum=DCForumID201

As to lenses: a much tougher question!

In my own experience and for what I do (a lot of "walk-around" photography in local farmland and coastal sites, and I never use a tripod) I doubt very much I could get away with any less than a 400mm lens, though if I had a reserve nearby with hides/feeding stations, I've no doubt 300mm would be fine.

Greypoint (again!) switched me onto the Sigma 135-400mm lens, and I've been very happy with it (though I don't use it now), but her photography circumstances mean that she's getting great images with a quality Nikon 200mm lens, to which she adds a 2x teleconvertor when necessary.

Not using a tripod is a personal choice for me, and I might start using one some day, but this is something else to factor into the lens choice: if you're intending to use a tripod (and there's a lot to recommend them), you can use longer lenses than I can, even though my hand-holding technique isn't bad, and I use a lens with built-in image stabilisation...

In fact, rather than me rattle off a huge list of ifs, buts and maybes, tell us a bit more about what kind of photography you want to do - as I suggest, taking pictures of approachable birds at a feeding station and getting pictures of (say) birds of prey at distance, have very different lens requirements - and we'll have another go.

Last edited:
keith.
thankyou so much for taking the time to advise me.ok most of my birding is walking around a large marsh area so i would like a long lens for that.i would love to take photos of birds of prey etc.i also visit hides and take photos in the garden.so i guess i need two kinds of lenses for that.it would be good to have a lens to photo the children.also i read in a past post a 50mm lens could be used to digiscope.but of course there is a budget.If i get the d70 of which iam vearing towards there is a kit with 18 - 55 and 70-300 mm lens for £567.95.Can i put these lens together ?.Or do i just buy the body for £400 and get the lens from sigma or tamron. my overall budget is £900. thanks for your help.look forward to next instalment
dolores
Keith Reeder said:
Well the D50 is very good for punchy, good-looking, low noise images straight out of the camera - it's well known for that, and in a lot of ways it's a logical step up from a point & shoot camera.

The D70 is less "instant" unless you make a point of changing many of the camera's default image settings, and (to be fair) it has more of a tendency to noise at higher ISO values.

I never bothered with that because I'm a convert to NEF (RAW) photography and can tweak to my heart's content on my PC.

The flipside of the D50's good noise performance is that - due in part to fairly aggressive in-camera noise reduction processing - there is apparently the potential for some loss of detail. To be honest, I think you'd have to be looking really hard to spot any loss of detail in most pictures that the D50 delivers.

However, some of the settings which literally are at a D70 user's fingertips via buttons or dials on the body of the camera are only accessible via the menu on the D50.

I wouldn't get on with that (I like being able to muck about with various settings, and it's also true that I'm rarely out in the same light conditions twice in a row), but many D50 users don't mind that at all.

In fact, one of my favourite Gallery contributors, Greypoint, was a D70 user for a long time (her images were the reason why I bought a D70) but she's since moved onto a D50 - I believe the D70 needed repair and the D50 was initially a "stop-gap") and in truth, she's never looked back.

But she's using good lenses too...

The D70 uses Compact Flash (CF) cards, whereas the D50 uses SD cards which many people upgrading from point & shoot digitals already have a collection of.

Aside from that, many of the differences between the two cameras are pretty esoteric: no option to have grid lines in the viewfinder of the D50 (very useful for ensuring the horizon is horizontal!); the ISO settings in the D70 are in smaller steps; there's only one command wheel/dial on the D50; the D50 doesn't have a Depth Of Field (DOF) preview button; the D70 only uses an Infra Red remote... and so on.

You should also note that the D70s is different again to the D70 and D50 in several important ways.

None of these might matter to you at all. And bear in mind that the lens you end up with is at least as important in the equation as the body you pick (and very probably more so, because once you've got your lenses you can change/upgrade bodies, but you'll keep the lenses).

One thing I've read several times about the two cameras is "the D70 is a camera to grow into, but the D50 is a camera to grow out of..." and personally I'd say that was about right, but I can't speak for you!

;)

Here's a very useful answer to the same question you're asking:
http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=15039&forum=DCForumID201

As to lenses: a much tougher question!

In my own experience and for what I do (a lot of "walk-around" photography in local farmland and coastal sites, and I never use a tripod) I doubt very much I could get away with any less than a 400mm lens, though if I had a reserve nearby with hides/feeding stations, I've no doubt 300mm would be fine.

Greypoint (again!) switched me onto the Sigma 135-400mm lens, and I've been very happy with it (though I don't use it now), but her photography circumstances mean that she's getting great images with a quality Nikon 200mm lens, to which she adds a 2x teleconvertor when necessary.

Not using a tripod is a personal choice for me, and I might start using one some day, but this is something else to factor into the lens choice: if you're intending to use a tripod (and there's a lot to recommend them), you can use longer lenses than I can, even though my hand-holding technique isn't bad, and I use a lens with built-in image stabilisation...

In fact, rather than me rattle off a huge list of ifs, buts and maybes, tell us a bit more about what kind of photography you want to do - as I suggest, taking pictures of approachable birds at a feeding station and getting pictures of (say) birds of prey at distance, have very different lens requirements - and we'll have another go.

If it was my £900, and knowing what I know about the lens, I'd have no hesitation in buying a D50 and a Sigma 135-400mm.

Based on Warehouse Express prices,

D50 £389
Sigma 135-400mm £429

Total, £818.

That set-up provides a good compromise between reach (I wouldn't go lower myself) and usability hand-held, and its about bang on for the budget (bearing in mind I'm allowing for the fact that you'll have to buy SD cards, a bag and other odds and sods).

Personally I'd keep away from the lenses in the D70 kit bundle - that particular 70-300 is pretty mediocre, and the 18-55 is too short for birds.

In the short term you could use the 135-400 as a "do it all" lens.

Just bear in mind that if you use it for portrait/children shots you'll have to stand a bit further way from the subject (though you can get more natural, "candid" shots by doing that), and add a shorter lens when the budget allows.

I did it that way myself.

On the subject of bags, it's impossible to fault this one: http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=6021

£18???

Just read the reviews here: http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_reviews.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=6021

Of course, if you can find a D70s cheaper than the Warehouse Express price then great - it's a fine camera - and I've seen the 135-400mm for £299.

But they're rarer than hen's teeth at cheaper prices, and realistically, I don't think that you can do a whole lot better for your £900 than what I've mentioned here.

But let's see if anyone comes up with an alternative solution (the Canon 350D is a magic little camera too!)

thanks again for all the advice.i didnt realise you could use the 135 - 400mm lens as a general lens too.oh so much to learn.
also have you heard of Opteka lens ? ive seen amazing prices for these lenses.have they got a good repuation do you know ?

Keith Reeder said:
If it was my £900, and knowing what I know about the lens, I'd have no hesitation in buying a D50 and a Sigma 135-400mm.

Based on Warehouse Express prices,

D50 £389
Sigma 135-400mm £429

Total, £818.

That set-up provides a good compromise between reach (I wouldn't go lower myself) and usability hand-held, and its about bang on for the budget (bearing in mind I'm allowing for the fact that you'll have to buy SD cards, a bag and other odds and sods).

Personally I'd keep away from the lenses in the D70 kit bundle - that particular 70-300 is pretty mediocre, and the 18-55 is too short for birds.

In the short term you could use the 135-400 as a "do it all" lens.

Just bear in mind that if you use it for portrait/children shots you'll have to stand a bit further way from the subject (though you can get more natural, "candid" shots by doing that), and add a shorter lens when the budget allows.

I did it that way myself.

On the subject of bags, it's impossible to fault this one: http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=6021

£18???

Just read the reviews here: http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_reviews.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=6021

Of course, if you can find a D70s cheaper than the Warehouse Express price then great - it's a fine camera - and I've seen the 135-400mm for £299.

But they're rarer than hen's teeth at cheaper prices, and realistically, I don't think that you can do a whole lot better for your £900 than what I've mentioned here.

But let's see if anyone comes up with an alternative solution (the Canon 350D is a magic little camera too!)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back