• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sir David ...what are we going to do without him? (1 Viewer)

Poecile said:
it has to be someone with an academic background like Attenborough's, to have the credibility to carry the weight of knowledge across..... want a zoologist or biologist.

I agree it should be someone with credibility, someone who people with some prior knowledge can learn from. We need someone who knows alot more than we do. I know we all have different levels of understanding and experience but we don't need another dumbed down programme with soppy presenters. Attenborough will be very hard for anyone to follow. I think it does need a scientist.

Joanne

Poecile said:
Virtually all of the rest have backgrounds in children's TV or as cameramen. I think the public does, just, still want a zoologist or biologist.

Chris Packham may have come from Children's television, but it was a children's nature programme, and he does have a zoology degree.

JWN Andrewes said:
Alan Seaton said:
I like Simon King, but he does have that irritating habit of giving the animals names.

QUOTE]

That may be more the programme makers' decision than his. In any case, when following the trials and tribulations of a number of beasts (particularly large hierarchical groups) there's no way of following what's going on without being able to quickly identify and refer to individuals, and names are a good deal easier to remember than numbers. If, when simply illustrating a piece of animal behaviour, be it mating, feeding etc, he continues naming the animals, then I'll take that back!

For what it's worth, I also rate Simon King, but prefer Nick Baker and Chris Packham.

James

I blame Simon for being one of the trail-blazers of the naming game, with his "Drift the Mute Swan" and that stuff all those years ago.

I remember David Attenborough from his early days on Zoo Quest and have always enjoyed his stuff. He'll take some replacing. I remember him giving an interview on telly in about the 1970s when he was decying anthropomorphism in natural history programmes. I wish more had heard and listened to what he said.

Another thing about him is that even though he often appears in-shot, he doesn't upstage his subject, unlike so many of the current crop of presenters who aren't happy if they think a shot of an animal is preventing their own face from filling the frame. Bill Oddie and Charlotte Ohlenbroek please take note.

You are right about Chris Packham. I enjoy his stuff. He doesn't dominate the topic.

Cry? lol

Alistair Forthergill will still probably work on the programmes, he has a similar background to David and has worked with him for years now. So I suspect the programmes might not fail, though I doubt he'll go into presenting them though according to some sources the BBC have him lined up as a replacement... I personally think they should find an unknown presenter if Alistair doesn't take over the presenting aspect. All the others already come with "baggage" and their own styles so I think getting an unknown who can follow in David's footsteps but develop his own style out of that would be the best option. If Alan Titchmarsh takes over I'm throwing my TV out of the window lol I can't stand him at all!

Jos Stratford said:
I vote Poecile to be the new presenter - straight to the point, cutting the crap and even with the odd fact or two for free ;)

Hey Jos, could you possibly send me your trip report to Nepal?
Dcdurniak 'at' aol.com
chrisdurniak 'at' yahoo.com

We're thinking of going either there or N India next Dec. I pm'd you.......

I personally think Sir David is one of a kind. Good luck replacing him. To me he personifies all that's great in Natural History. George Page (Nature) had the voice, but David does it all. Clone Mr. Banks DNA.........

How about Fergal Keane?
He narrated Wild Africa (in fact he wrote the 'script') & also narrated Andes to Amazon.
His soft Irish accent lends itself to blending into the background as a commentary yet at the same time comes to the fore to inform at appropriate moments.

Attenborough's heir is too important to leave to middle England!! ;)

Poecile said:
I've had a few conversations about tbis. If they want a 'new attenborough', long term, rather than a jobbing presetner, then it has to be someone with an academic background like Attenborough's, to have the credibility to carry the weight of knowledge across. That only leaves Uhlenbroek. Virtually all of the rest have backgrounds in children's TV or as cameramen. I think the public does, just, still want a zoologist or biologist.

Unfortunately, however, since the BBC went to bed with Discovery and turned all their productions into the modern equivalent of Gentle Ben (contrived cutesy storylines, anthropomorphic dubbing, heavy editing to remove any scenes of sex or actual blood, a focussing on pretty cuddly things or stuff with big teeth, and a subtle eradication of any notion of evolution, all to please the USA market), anyone could now do Attenborough's narration in recent shows. He doesn't actually 'present' anymore, does he?

My heart sank when i read the Times re this new show, and the BBC guy saying it was about 'extremes of predatorial enviornments', and the 50% of life that has to kill for a living, and how they wanted to convey the "emotional" aspect of predators and their prey. So, it sounds like we're in for another show full of lions and killer whales and sharks *almost* killing things before any blood is edited out, and cutesy stories of lost little wildebeest calves who always manage to survive and arrived here through immaculate conception. All to the backdrop of a towering orchestral score that tells when to be impressed with their new camera mounted on the nose of a gnat. While actually telling us absolutely sod all about the natural world.

Extremely well put.

Don't like any of the camera men/childrens TV presenters metioned as replacements as I find them all too irritating. As the best of an inferior bunch Uhlenbroek would get my vote.

Mark

I feel sorry for who ever takes over, because it will be impossible to follow such an icon. They will be compared and found wanting..................

I think Chris Packham would be good. Saw him give a talk at the NW bird fair a few years ago he was really good.
Also what about the indian guy who's done the tiger programs? Can't remember his name but he has a voice i could listen to all day.

ghostrider said:
I read in the times today that Sir David Attenborough is retiring after his latest series about reptiles.
A new series called "life" is being made over the next 3 years, but he isn't going to present it. Who is going to to take his place?
Not Alan Titchmarsh... Please!

That was my reaction - please, not Alan Titchmarsh. Although he's a nice guy, he has an uncanny ability to make even the most interesting subject sound boring. Charlotte Uhlenbroek or Fergal Keane would both be excellent choices.

And Poecile, I agree entirely. I don't want emotion or cutesieness, I want facts and information.

Vectis Birder said:
That was my reaction - please, not (Alan Titchmarsh. Although he's a nice guy, he has an uncanny ability to make even the most interesting subject sound boring.) Charlotte Uhlenbroek or Fergal Keane would both be excellent choices.

And Poecile, I agree entirely. I don't want emotion or cutesieness, I want facts and information.

Yeh nothing against Alan Titchmarsh he was fine doing gardening programs a subject he is passionate about, but that Great Britain series he did was very difficult to watch think he was trying far too hard. Seem to remember him walking around in bright coloured jackets and getting lifts in helecopters.

I must say I like Chris Packham, but at the end of the day there is no-one who can live up to Attenborough's legacy.

I'll do it...

Steve G said:
Attenborough's heir is too important to leave to middle England!! ;)

Ouch!! Attenborough is middle England and part of his universal appeal is his lack of a regional accent, not posing in front of the camera, etc., though finding another 'neutral' presenter is obviously going to be difficult in these days of image over substance and the cult of the personality.

the thing is, do you want a voice if so i would go for Simon Maccorkindale ( Harry Harper in Casualty) as he has done a few BBC nature progs. If it was personality my vote would be for Nick Baker because he knows what he's on about and seems to make it less boring ( did you see the Fairy Pink Armildillo episode of Weird Creatures, how someone can make NOT finding something interesting is beyound me) anyway it shouldn't matter how they got to where they are, we all start somewhere. I grew up with Terry Nutkins and Chris Packham both legends to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back