Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Info on Belize

Old Thursday 13th May 2004, 18:59   #1
exley

Info on Belize

Hi

Two of us going to Belize next saturday for eight days. We are not going with a group or tour, just flying in and doing as much birding as we can. Does anyone have any advice for us in this situation. We want to do at least two or three places well. Insitially, my thoughts lie with Cockscomb, Crooked Tree, Chan Chich (all the 'c's'- hahaha) but i dont know how long it takes to get places on the roads. - we want to keep it as open as we can

any advice from people who have been there, on anyhting- especially, which are the best birding sites- the must go's, bearing in mind its the end of may

thanks all-any nuggets or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

exley
Old Thursday 13th May 2004, 20:28   #2
Glen Tepke

Guanacaste NP and the Mayan ruins at Caracol are both very good. Guanacaste is right on a main road not far from Belize City, but Caracol is at the end of a long, very rough road (which has excellent birding itself) south of Mountain Pine Ridge.

Also be aware that some of the lodges, especially Chan Chich, are very popular and often book up in advance. If you plan to stay at Chan Chich, I would contact them in advance to make a reservation. I have not been there, but I think it is a long drive from anywhere -- many people fly there.

Have fun.

Glen

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 13th May 2004, 20:44   #3
Dave B Smith

Following is contact info on Chan Chich Lodge. It is a Long drive from Belize City.
Daryl Knight & Emily Meegan
US office, Chan Chich Lodge
800 343 8009, 508 693 0856, fax 508 693 6311
Email: [email protected] dot (replace with ".") com (I didn't put this as a hypolink to avoid the Spambots picking it up)
In Belize: 011 (from US) 501 223 4419 - phone & fax
ALSO ARRANGING RESERVATIONS AT OTHER EXCEPTIONAL BELIZE LODGES

Do you have a good Field Guide for the area? I recently saw a thread with a recommendation so you might search for that. Good luck.

Last edited by Dave B Smith : Thursday 13th May 2004 at 20:46.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 13th May 2004, 21:03   #4
exley

thanks for info

birds of belize by jones is supposed to be the best- purchased last week
Old Thursday 13th May 2004, 22:01   #5
Edward woodwood

Cockscomb is fantastic - defo go there
Crooked Tree is very good too
Chan Chich is good by all accounts but i aint been there

accommodation at the first two is cheap and easily available

I have a trip report on Belize available from several trip report websites or PM me exley
Old Thursday 13th May 2004, 23:59   #6
wildtracks

Hi

I live in Belize and am currently writing involved in writing management plans for COckscomb and Crooked Tree (so have just compiled the up-to-date bird lists for both, with the help of Lee Jones, if you want copies (though not sure how I get them to you!). I would definitely think of Cockscomb, Crooked Tree and Lamanai...possibly Chan Chich, though as was mentioned, it can be fully booked.

I'll be both at COckscomb and Chan Chich over the next ten to fifteen days, so maybe meet you there!....

Zoe
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: