Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

RFI: Olive Warbler (how late?)

Old Friday 15th September 2017, 18:42   #1
Barr Tender
World: 717 ABA: 584 Latest Lifer: Violet-crowned Hummingbird

RFI: Olive Warbler (how late?)

Hey folks,

How late in the year can one expect to see Olive Warblers in AZ? We got skunked by the bird twice in one trip (our last trip to AZ was the Chiricahuas, where we missed it at Barfoot, and saw a silouhette that might've been one on Mt Lemmon...) and would love to finally bag it.

We're heading to Vermillion Cliffs/Grand Canyon to chase Condors a week or so from now, and might run North from there to re-chase the Snowcocks in Nevada, or might have time to run after Olive Warblers, if they'll be around.

Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks,

Dave in Denver
Old Friday 15th September 2017, 19:10   #2
Barr Tender
World: 717 ABA: 584 Latest Lifer: Violet-crowned Hummingbird

Ha-- if only I'd had the means to type 'Olive Warbler range map' into google before writing this post. I simply assumed they were migratory, but range maps say show them as permanent residents throughout their range. So as long as you've bothered reading this far, any thoughts on whether they're harder or easier to track down in late Sept/early Oct, favorite reliable spots for the bird, etc, would be great.

I have the same questions for Sulphur-bellied Fly, btw. We missed it in Cave Creek Canyon last time, as it was May, and apparently the bird doesn't arrive till later.

Thanks,

Dave
Old Wednesday 20th September 2017, 11:02   #3
Hamhed

Dave -
I've seen Olive Warblers only twice. They were in Barfoot and at the fork in the road that splits off to either Barfoot or Rustler Park. My wife and I saw the Sulphur-bellied in late May at Cave Creek and Ramsey Canyon in the Huachucas. I recently posted a trip report here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=349678

Steve

BF Supporter 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: