Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

7x recommendations

Old Monday 17th September 2018, 17:32   #51
marcsantacurz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
ANY FL 7X42 you find will be fine.
ANY Ultravid 7X42 will be fine although as mentioned it won't have a very close focus. Same for a Trinovid BN.
SLC 7X42...MINE is a 2008...CERTAINLY no worries with that year! It's CF isn't that close either, just measured it and it's about 11 ft.
From scanning through various old BirdForum posts on the SLC, it looks like 2006 is when the SLC 7x42 got its final upgrade, so anything 2006+ would be the best choice. I don't remember the chronology of what happened when (I think it was Gijs who posted it), I just remember the date :)

We have a copy of the Discovery 7x42 arriving soon to try out. If those are not satisfactory, we're going to try the Canon 10x32 IS, which is a new model with a simpler on/off button (don't need to hold it in like the 10x30 IS ii). It's around $1100. If that does not work out, then I might try a used pair of UVHD 7x42 for about the same price. She has tried the UVHD+ at an optics fair and liked them, so I think the non-plus should be just fine.

Marc

P.S. She tried my pair of Kowa Genesis 8x33 at the same time as the Celestron Granite 7x33. She found the Kowa much sharper for her, even with some shakes. I know, optically and $-wise, it's not a fair comparison.
Old Monday 17th September 2018, 22:13   #52
Pileatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsantacurz View Post
From scanning through various old BirdForum posts on the SLC, it looks like 2006 is when the SLC 7x42 got its final upgrade, so anything 2006+ would be the best choice. I don't remember the chronology of what happened when (I think it was Gijs who posted it), I just remember the date :)

We have a copy of the Discovery 7x42 arriving soon to try out. If those are not satisfactory, we're going to try the Canon 10x32 IS, which is a new model with a simpler on/off button (don't need to hold it in like the 10x30 IS ii). It's around $1100. If that does not work out, then I might try a used pair of UVHD 7x42 for about the same price. She has tried the UVHD+ at an optics fair and liked them, so I think the non-plus should be just fine.

Marc

P.S. She tried my pair of Kowa Genesis 8x33 at the same time as the Celestron Granite 7x33. She found the Kowa much sharper for her, even with some shakes. I know, optically and $-wise, it's not a fair comparison.
I bought a used 7X42 SLC that was made in 1996 and upgraded in 2016. A new serial number was assigned by Swarovski. Always check used Swarovski bins to see if they've been upgraded.
Old Tuesday 18th September 2018, 00:07   #53
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
Thank you very much Chuck for a thorough and patient answer as usual. So...more thinking ahead...size and price of Discovery vs optical quality of Ultravid! I shall need my 7x only for depth, which means mostly woodland, unlike in your Conquest swap episode, so here the Discovery option survives... Importantly for me, I--not able to try out anything--am able to form an increasingly better idea of the Discovery, from the reviews by Lee, David, and now you...
First a question for you....What's your primary binocular(s) NOW?

Quote:

Marc

Marc,

Sounds like you have a pretty well thought-out plan! I hope you are elated with the Discovery 7X42 and that will be that!

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 18th September 2018, 08:33   #54
adhoc

Quote:
First a question for you....What's your primary binocular(s) NOW?
Chuck,
Zeiss Victory 8x25 (the new model).

Here are my other binoculars at present in case that helps. I wrote this a few months back on this forum when asked. I am copying the gist of the info. still current and adding the text in "[...]".
- - - - -
Alpen Teton 15x50
on the way... [My friend in the US is yet to bring it.]
If the Alpen disappoints then I go for
Meopta MeoStar-HD 12x50...
Tempted also by
Leica Ultravid-Plus 7x42...
which will make the total 3...
[Also have:]
Leica Ultravid 10x25 "left over", almost never used, may go
Hawke Sapphire 8x25, "car bino"
- - - - -

Then I had not seriously considered the
Opticron Discovery 7x42.
Now I copy what I wrote to a friend a couple weeks back: "...I was rather thrilled by the view of the Kowa YF 6x30 (porro, "clones with" Leupold Yosemite, very good optical quality, at less than USD 100) in a woodland setting due to its depth of field and 8.0-8.1 deg. FOV. You could see so much of birdlife, that is, different species and their movements, in one view. But I felt its 6x was inadequate for detail of the birds. Since then I have been hoping for such a view at 7x from some model of good optical quality. I would also, as you might remember, like a binocular to be smaller!..."

PS.
Iveljay,
Reading threads on this model just now I came across your review which also I had found useful but somehow forgot about when listing in my last post above!

Last edited by adhoc : Tuesday 18th September 2018 at 10:41.
Old Tuesday 18th September 2018, 16:29   #55
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

adhoc,

Do you think you will be satisfied with Discovery 7X42 when you compare the optics to you Zeiss Victory? I would be inclined to think you won't be.

I say buy a nice 7X42 ONCE(Do as I say, not as I do!)

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 18th September 2018, 18:29   #56
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Quote:
adhoc,

Do you think you will be satisfied with Discovery 7X42 when you compare the optics to you Zeiss Victory? I would be inclined to think you won't be.

Hello Chuck,

I bought a Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 BGAT*P, after I bought a Leica 7x42 BA. Except for the length, which is ergonomically sound, there is nothing to make me buy the FL. I am sticking with the Dialyt, even after fourteen years.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur
Old Wednesday 19th September 2018, 00:35   #57
marcsantacurz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
Hello Chuck,

I bought a Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 BGAT*P, after I bought a Leica 7x42 BA. Except for the length, which is ergonomically sound, there is nothing to make me buy the FL. I am sticking with the Dialyt, even after fourteen years.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur
What is different between the 7x42BT*P and the 7x42B/GA T*P?
Old Wednesday 19th September 2018, 03:09   #58
ceasar

Quote:
Do you mean the Carl Zeiss Design Collection 7x45B T* for the 1st one? It had 45mm objectives and angled eye cups.

https://www.allbinos.com/1062-Carl_Z...ons.html#oceny

The 2nd one is the 7x42 Dialyt ClassiC.

https://www.allbinos.com/242-Carl_Ze...fications.html

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Wednesday 19th September 2018 at 03:22.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 19th September 2018, 03:32   #59
marcsantacurz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Do you mean the Carl Zeiss Design Collection 7x45B T* for the 1st one? It had 45mm objectives and angled eye cups.

https://www.allbinos.com/1062-Carl_Z...ons.html#oceny

The 2nd one is the 7x42 Dialyt ClassiC.

https://www.allbinos.com/242-Carl_Ze...fications.html

Bob
Ok, thank you. I've seen some people leave the "ga" out when they talk about the "classic." So I guess the only variation is if it has the P coating too.

Marc
Old Wednesday 19th September 2018, 05:54   #60
adhoc

Quote:
adhoc,

Thanks Chuck.

This has happened several times, for different axb configurations: I first get a less costly and smaller model, soon find that it not good enough optically, then replace it with an optically better model that is costlier and larger! The reason is that where I am one cannot try out binoculars, as explained elsewhere. There is a typically a delay of months between those first and third stages. Each time I had done much reading up, mostly on this forum, and mulling over choices.

The CA reported in the Ultravid worries me. See for example comments a few hours back in the current thread on the Trinovid. Now it appears that Nikon has discontinued/will soon discontinue the present EDG line. I feel like waiting to see if they bring out a replacement for the 7x. If they do it may be better than the Ultravid 7x in all criteria. So in a few months I might do as you do! CA will not matter as much in woodland, but at that price range one would rather wait and see.

In what I quote from my letter at the end of the last post the unstated logic is: The optical quality of the Discovery 7x may be less than of the Kowa ("Yosemite clone") 6x30 but I hope that the greater x and brightness more than makes up for that!

For those reasons if I am going for a 7x now it may be the much less costly Discovery.

Last edited by adhoc : Wednesday 19th September 2018 at 12:02.
Old Wednesday 19th September 2018, 06:46   #61
Troubador

Quote:
The difference is the GA which means rubber armoured. If it isn't GA then it has a kind of faux leather-look covering. And BTW there is no difference between P and P*. The asterisk was just added to the P to bring it into line with T*.

Lee
Old Wednesday 19th September 2018, 19:01   #62
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
The difference is the GA which means rubber armoured. If it isn't GA then it has a kind of faux leather-look covering. And BTW there is no difference between P and P*. The asterisk was just added to the P to bring it into line with T*.

Lee
I don't think the Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt/Classic with P/P* was ever offered without rubber armor (GA).

--AP
Old Wednesday 19th September 2018, 19:28   #63
marcsantacurz

So how would you compare the Leica UVHD (non +) 7x42 with the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 BGAT*P? The allbinos stats look very similar except the Dialyt has a wider field of view.
Old Thursday 20th September 2018, 02:05   #64
Alexis Powell

Quote:
So how would you compare the Leica UVHD (non +) 7x42 with the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 BGAT*P? The allbinos stats look very similar except the Dialyt has a wider field of view.
The Zeiss has wider FOV and, I think, better eye relief for glasses. Maybe slightly better close focus as well. I like the handling better (wrap around grip, slim tubes).

The Leica has better waterproofing and is more compact.

--AP
Old Thursday 20th September 2018, 06:37   #65
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
I don't think the Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt/Classic with P/P* was ever offered without rubber armor (GA).

--AP
I don't think so either Alexis, but I decided just to answer Marc's question exactly as asked.

Lee
Old Thursday 20th September 2018, 19:22   #66
Alexis Powell

Quote:
I don't think so either Alexis, but I decided just to answer Marc's question exactly as asked.

Lee
Yes, I was just adding that point, not disagreeing. Didn't want him to search for the elusive leather 7x42 ClassiC.

--AP
Old Friday 21st September 2018, 06:58   #67
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
Yes, I was just adding that point, not disagreeing. Didn't want him to search for the elusive leather 7x42 ClassiC.

--AP
LOL, good point, although Hensoldt made a Dialyt 7x42 in 'leatherette' and very handsome it was too.

Lee
Old Friday 21st September 2018, 18:28   #68
marcsantacurz

I found a zeiss 7x42 b/ga t*p that should be arriving on Saturday (tomorrow). It was listed without the "ga" but it was clearly the rubber armor. Hopefully it will be a winner. I think the Opticron Discovery 7x42 are arriving today too.

Sunday we're planning on going to "hawk hill" up near San Francisco. It's a natural funnel for hawks on migration because of how they avoid flying over large bodies of water and seek certain terrain to maximize their soaring.

Marc
Old Saturday 22nd September 2018, 03:38   #69
marcsantacurz

We went out with the Opticron 7x42s and liked them. I think they are an excellent value.

I've written my thoughts on them in a separate post: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=367522.
Old Saturday 22nd September 2018, 20:22   #70
maico

Quote:
LOL, good point, although Hensoldt made a Dialyt 7x42 in 'leatherette' and very handsome it was too.

Lee
WWII Hensoldt 10x50 plus 7x42
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3ddced64087273a19114291a84cb6fe4.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	675072  Click image for larger version

Name:	8099679169_5504bf0ebf_k.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	675073  
Old Sunday 23rd September 2018, 14:43   #71
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by maico View Post
WWII Hensoldt 10x50 plus 7x42
Maico

The two Hensoldts lying down are 7x42 and 8x32 according to their markings on the top bridges and aren't they handsome? Many thanks for the pics.

Lee
Old Sunday 23rd September 2018, 21:30   #72
maico

Quote:
Maico

The two Hensoldts lying down are 7x42 and 8x32 according to their markings on the top bridges and aren't they handsome? Many thanks for the pics.

Lee
Yes, not mine. They also made a rarer 7x50. The tank is a 1944 Panther.

I think these are the smaller and more practical 7x42
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-297-1725-12,_Im_Westen,_Panzersoldat_auf_Panzer_IV.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	675168  

Last edited by maico : Sunday 23rd September 2018 at 21:55.
Old Monday 17th December 2018, 20:24   #73
Tomly

Any updates on Opticron 7x experiences?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: