• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI NY targets (2 Viewers)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
I'm hoping to finally visit the eastern USA in August. Just a 3 week trip, with little planned yet, but will be hiring a car and travelling with partner and 5 year old.

As we'll be arriving in New York, I'd like some advice on best sites in August for some of the birds I hope to see, notably Piping Plover, American Woodcock, Seaside Sparrow, and Saltmarsh Sparrow. Any advice welcome, and the nearer to the airport the better.

Thanks and kind regards, Larry Sweetland

You would be better coming here in late May for Piping Plover, Seaside Sparrow, and Saltmarsh Sparrow - all nest locally...Piping Plover in Brooklyn-Queens along the ocean beaches; and Seaside and Saltmarsh at Oceanside in Nassau Co.; while Saltmarsh breeds at Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx and also Jamaica Bay (Queens) - and likely more salt marsh parks of NYC...Seaside used to breed in NYC but we lost that bird by the 1970s. Perhaps somewhere on Staten Island it still breeds...

Sign up for my free Newsletter (published since 2003) and the $10 bird walks I do in Central Park (since 1992 or so..I've lost track of exactly when I started there): www.BirdingBob.com

Robert DeCandido PhD
NYC

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back