Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New RSPB Avocet binocular range

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 18th September 2013, 16:13   #1
sammyboy

New RSPB Avocet binocular range

I popped into RSPB's Conwy reserve today as I'm on holiday in the area. Looked at the binocular range as I was looking for anew pair after having to sell my last set due to car trouble! Had a look through a pair of Avocet 8x32s which I was told they only had in yesterday and was a new range. Not too expensive, bought a pair for 120. Very impressed with the view despite not being phase coated - but 7 degree FOV, nitrogen filled, quite light and sharp view. There's also a 8x42 and I think 10x42 version available too, the 8x42s I think we're 130, can't remember the 10's price. Focus knob smooth and quick to focus, quite prominent so should be easy to use with gloves on though the diopter adjustment was rather stiff on both the demo pair and my example.

Just a heads up if anyone's after a decent but quite cheap set of bins, has anyone else tried these and have any thoughts?
Old Thursday 19th September 2013, 13:07   #2
JoeRawles
Feathers Wild Bird Care

I guess at that price range you wouldn't expect them to be PC, I know some that are but not most. They've got them on their website now, the 10s are 135. Will have to have a look through next time the rep is down!

Hope you get on well with them.
Old Friday 20th September 2013, 08:18   #3
sammyboy

You're correct, no phase coating but still a very good view, bit of CA but not distracting. I used them while going round the reserve and really like the Avocets. Pretty lightweight too.
Old Sunday 22nd September 2013, 20:21   #4
harv 1
Registered Member

Hi Guys,
Iam looking for some bins 10x in the 130 ish range just for the
occasional trip to the coast perhaps hide work.
Would the Avocet be a good choice please.
Many thanks,
Phil.
Old Monday 23rd September 2013, 11:49   #5
JoeRawles
Feathers Wild Bird Care

Hi Phil,

You have plenty to choose from for that price, perhaps you can find a local shop that stocks a bit of a range? It's always a good idea to get a feel for the binoculars before you buy them.

My personal choice at that price would be the Opticron Trailfinder 3s., they are phase corrected and offer a decent field of view compared to some others. You could also look at Viking Navilux (Viking actually make RSPB bins, so I should think these will be similar to the Avocets) or I believe Nikon have some fairly good optics for that price.
Old Monday 23rd September 2013, 20:29   #6
harv 1
Registered Member

Thank you Joe I'll take your advice.
Cheers,
Phil.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: