• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Biking Birder 2015 - A cycle ride to every RSPB and WWT reserve. (1 Viewer)

Hi Gary,
Enjoying your blog and isn't it going well. Hope your saddle is large and well padded!3:)3:)
A few of the lads at the UW work party yesterday suggested that some captions on the bird pics would help the non birders to know what they're looking at (and us!).
Keep going and I hope the weather picks up soon!:t::t::t:
Recent pic of UW to make you homesick enclosed.

Thanks for getting in touch, Bob.

I'll try to add the captions but I am usually so knackered I just manage to put them on and then collapse!

Enjoying every day but missing the Warren.

All the best

Gary:t:

How's it going?

I'm another who doesn't 'do' Facebook, so out of the loop as it were ...

Still headed for Falmouth area around the 20th? I'd offer you our spare bed for the night, but unfortunately no spare room at the moment as the girlfriends mum is down until the 21st or so, but if it would help on your way back out of Cornwall the offer is there ...

(Could ask around for the 20th ... if you haven't got anything else organised)

Looking on your bubo list (144 for the year, not bad ;) ) - note the following species you should get in Cornwall -

Rock Dove (everyone counts Feral Pigeon, these days, unless you want to stay pure and wait until Scotland)

Whooper Swan - Helston v easy (Also Siberian Chiffchaff (nice subspecies) easy at the location.)

Barn Owl, Fulmar, Great Northern Diver, Blackcap, Common Sandpiper, King Eider, Whimbrel, Dipper - all in Falmouth and 90 -100% chance of getting.

Black-throated Diver, Little Bunting, Pacific Diver, Spotted Redshank, Mandarin, Lesser Scaup, Chough, Razorbill etc - all in Cornwall and en route (ish) - obviously some more important to target than others.

Of course most all/you can get elsewhere later on, shame the YB Warblers have done a bunk (seemingly) but should get them later too.

Last edited:
How's it going?

Still headed for Falmouth area around the 20th? I'd offer you our spare bed for the night, but unfortunately no spare room at the moment as the girlfriends mum is down until the 21st or so, but if it would help on your way back out of Cornwall the offer is there ...

Looking on your bubo list (144 for the year, not bad ;) ) - note the following species you should get in Cornwall -

Rock Dove (everyone counts Feral Pigeon, these days, unless you want to stay pure and wait until Scotland)

Whooper Swan - Helston v easy (Also Siberian Chiffchaff (nice subspecies) easy at the location.)

Barn Owl, Fulmar, Great Northern Diver, Blackcap, Common Sandpiper, King Eider, Whimbrel, Dipper - all in Falmouth and 90 -100% chance of getting.

Black-throated Diver, Little Bunting, Pacific Diver, Spotted Redshank, Mandarin, Lesser Scaup, Chough, Razorbill etc - all in Cornwall and en route (ish) - obviously some more important to target than others.

Of course most all/you can get elsewhere later on, shame the YB Warblers have done a bunk (seemingly) but should get them later too.

Hi Dan,

Gary was visiting Hayle and Marazion today, adding four year ticks (Little Bunting and a trio of divers - Pacific, Great Northern and Black-throated) to take the list up to 148. Think he will be swinging by your way in the next few days to pick up the King Eider.

Little bunting, Pacific diver, american wigeon, ferruginous duck, penduline tits, 3 red-necked grebes, water pipit, cirl bunting, 2 ring-billed gull, lesser yellowlegs, night heron, cattle egret, rc pochard. My 100th bird was the great grey shrike at Chilham, Kent. (15/1) Now cycling to Marazion RSPB reserve. I am cycling to every RSPB and WWT nature reserve this year, as I did in 2010. Please have a look at my facebook page - Biking Birder 2015 or the blog at bikingbirderridesagain2015.blogspot.com

I am having an incredible time and what luck! I have only missed one or two birds so far. The bonaparte's gull didn't show at Dawlish warren despite searching for over a day and the richard's pipit at Osmington Mills disappeared a couple of days before my arrival.

Thanks to everyone who has sent good wishes messages. ATB

How's it going?

Brilliant of you to get in touch. Since the 144 you quote I had an amazingly brilliant day at Penzance, getting all 4 year tick possibilities with the Pacific diver being with a black-throated being a highlight (Thanks Steve and Luke!)

I will be heading towards the king eider on Saturday after a bit of RSPB volunteer meeting at Marazion. Should be looking at that bird in the late afternoon or early sunday morning.

Now my mobile number is 07988754090 but be warned that due to past scam activity I don't answer numbers I don't know so send a text first or leave a voicemail message please. Concerning the birds you list, the king eider and lesser scaup are vital and of the others mandarin would be nice to get out of the way. It would be interesting to see the sibe chiff also.

Thanks to everyone in Cornwall who has or is making it such a wonderful birding time for me. It's all very much appreciated.

... following species you should get in Cornwall -

Just Feral Pigeons in Cornwall; you have to go to northwest Scotland (Argyll to Shetland) or western Ireland to get genuine wild Rock Doves ;)

Course they can be wrong :-O - but why Cornwall for Feral Pigeon (unless you live there!), when it's just as tickable on your home town streets :t:

Just mentioned it in my post as he is in Cornwall now - Feral Pigeons don't merit a whole post of their own ... except they have now garnered four! Perhaps we should put this aside to bed ... ;)

Brilliant of you to get in touch. Since the 144 you quote I had an amazingly brilliant day at Penzance, getting all 4 year tick possibilities with the Pacific diver being with a black-throated being a highlight (Thanks Steve and Luke!)

I will be heading towards the king eider on Saturday after a bit of RSPB volunteer meeting at Marazion. Should be looking at that bird in the late afternoon or early sunday morning.

Now my mobile number is 07988754090 but be warned that due to past scam activity I don't answer numbers I don't know so send a text first or leave a voicemail message please. Concerning the birds you list, the king eider and lesser scaup are vital and of the others mandarin would be nice to get out of the way. It would be interesting to see the sibe chiff also.

Thanks to everyone in Cornwall who has or is making it such a wonderful birding time for me. It's all very much appreciated.

Will send a text in the next day or so (don't do calls much anyway because not on a contract ;) ) - I'm sure myself or Samuel (who posted earlier in the thread) will be about if you want any bird-related assistance on the ground. If you get a chance/some free time (!) you may find it helpful to check out the latest posts on the Falmouth Birding thread - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=165985 , but not particularly necessary. And of course if you're passing passing Stithians Res there is a small nature reserve area, hides and bird feeders (see blog below in signature) - you can get cracking views of Blue Tit, Water Rail etc ;)

Ta for the map link too.

(Cheers Phil for the earlier update :t: )

Last edited:
Here's what I have just put on the Somerset Ornithological Forum:-

I remember a Michael Palin character in Life of Brian hanging from the wall in a dungeon crying out "you lucky . . . . !"
Well that's what every birder living in Somerset can feel. Very lucky.

As my cycling journey through this fabulous birding county comes to an end, I want to share the highlights, highlight what you have and say thank you to so many of you.

Entering Somerset from Devon was a surprise. I thought I was still in Devon and therefore initially thought that I the ring-necked drake had gone as I didn't find it on the Devon list of rare birds on Birdguides! As of that mistake wasn't bad enough, I then found out it was still available and I compounded my error by going to the wrong lake. An agonising couple of hours of white-knuckle braking down hills and back breaking pushes up the other side eventually got me to a footpath leading to the correct lake from the west. Alone I viewed a beautiful American duck. Bird number 155 on my Green Year list.

In case you're wondering, I am cycling to every RSPB and WWT reserve again, as I did in 2010. I am also trying to beat the present Green Year list record of 251 for the UK. My dream would be to get 300 but we'll wait and see about that.

Over the last three days I have been to Swell Wood, West Sedgemoor, Greylake and Ham Wall RSPB reserves. What fabulous reserves they are and the diversity of habitat and species is incredible.

Swell Wood with nuthatch, titmice and treecreeper but mostly with the grey herons nesting was delightful.

The RSPB staff, particularly Michael Wilson, made the day unforgettable with the 'plastic' cranes. The imminent success of the project with breeding maybe within a few years is truly wonderful and praise to the local people in supporting the various agencies efforts should be given. The return of these iconic birds after an absence of 400 years is thrilling, as was the one cycling overhead.

Greylake is superb! To watch 3 peregrines in action causing murmurations of the duck was exciting. The close views of duck in beautiful breeding plumage were stunning. Great white egrets here and then 4 more at Ham Wall.

Now there's a Futurescape in action for you. I run out of superlatives. Over 40 booming bitterns, a scane of 9 bitterns seen flying over the reserve, the little bitterns, and the developments taking place on both the RSPB and adjacent Shapwick reserves are so impressive.

I didn't get to see the starling murmuration for which most people will know of the reserve but I had seen great numbers of them feeding in various fields. I needed to get nearer to tomorrow's reserve, the new WWT reserve at Steart Point.

So after tomorrow I will be heading north into Avon and then Gloucestershire but what memories Somerset will have left me with.

Maybe tomorrow will give me more year ticks; short-eared owl, merlin and Lapland bunting have all been seen there.

If you would like to see the detail of my tour then please access the blog or find me on facebook. Biking Birder 2015.

Thanks Somerset. Brilliant.

The imminent success of the project with breeding maybe within a few years is truly wonderful and praise to the local people in supporting the various agencies efforts should be given. The return of these iconic birds after an absence of 400 years is thrilling, as was the one cycling overhead.

I'm right behind your efforts for charity and a record, but I can't let this rubbish go past. Cranes have been breeding in Britain for years. The population is expanding regardless of the Somerset efforts, which consequently could well have been better directed to a less successful species. The project is as unnecessary as the Rutland Osprey nonsense.

John

I'm right behind your efforts for charity and a record, but I can't let this rubbish go past. Cranes have been breeding in Britain for years. The population is expanding regardless of the Somerset efforts, which consequently could well have been better directed to a less successful species. The project is as unnecessary as the Rutland Osprey nonsense.

John

To me the thrill is seeing this bird in the Somerset levels. I have seen the cranes on the Norfolk Broads and at Lakenheath, as well as vagrants in various counties. To me any project that involves local people with birds is worthwhile. I have reservations over a couple of projects but both this one and the Rutland ospreys has engaged so many people who would not have had an interest in birds and habitat creation previously.

To me the thrill is seeing this bird in the Somerset levels. I have seen the cranes on the Norfolk Broads and at Lakenheath, as well as vagrants in various counties. To me any project that involves local people with birds is worthwhile. I have reservations over a couple of projects but both this one and the Rutland ospreys has engaged so many people who would not have had an interest in birds and habitat creation previously.

I've seen Crane in the Somerset Levels - it was a wintering bird (i.e. a real one) before the present unnecessary reintroduction project.

We are told frequently that conservation funds are scarce. All the more reason why they should be used for species and habitats that need assistance.

The Somerset Levels have a great habitat creation project going that is aiding Bitterns, Great White Egrets and many other wetland species. Cranes are returning naturally to increasing areas of Britain and will reach the Somerset Levels within my lifetime. The Crane breeding project is a waste of scarce funds.

The Rutland Osprey project has no habitat creation associated. Ospreys are returning to England naturally from the expanding Scottish population. It is also a waste of scarce funds.

I hope your laudable cycling effort will result in funding for something more important than either of the above.

161 is very good for less than three months by bike and I reckon you have a good chance of breaking the record. Good luck!

John

I've seen Crane in the Somerset Levels - it was a wintering bird (i.e. a real one) before the present unnecessary reintroduction project.

We are told frequently that conservation funds are scarce. All the more reason why they should be used for species and habitats that need assistance.

The Somerset Levels have a great habitat creation project going that is aiding Bitterns, Great White Egrets and many other wetland species. Cranes are returning naturally to increasing areas of Britain and will reach the Somerset Levels within my lifetime. The Crane breeding project is a waste of scarce funds.

The Rutland Osprey project has no habitat creation associated. Ospreys are returning to England naturally from the expanding Scottish population. It is also a waste of scarce funds.

I hope your laudable cycling effort will result in funding for something more important than either of the above.

161 is very good for less than three months by bike and I reckon you have a good chance of breaking the record. Good luck!

John

Thanks for the good wishes John.:t:

I am in red kite territory now on 163 having added lesser redpoll and merlin. Now it's interesting how there's a diversity of opinion over the feeding of red kites by feeding stations like Gigrin farm. Some for, some against. All I know is is that I'd rather see the birds thriving instead of their destruction at the hands of gamekeepers/landowner, as in Scotland.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back