Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

2016 - World Yearlist Record Attempt

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 10th December 2015, 12:42   #76
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficedula View Post
now Desert Tawny Owl (Strix hadorami).

http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2015/f/z03904p050f.pdf
Cheers - aware of the issue but just could not remember where it had ended up as far as the name:-

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=268028

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Thursday 10th December 2015, 13:48   #77
Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffong View Post
I guess both Noah and Arjan will write books about their experiences and for this I guess Madagascar is way more interesting, than an additional day in mainland Africa. At least if you want to sell it to more than just the absolute hardcore birders

Maffong
No one cares about second place though

OBC - Helping to conserve Asia's birds
www.orientalbirdclub.org
Old Thursday 10th December 2015, 16:41   #78
KenM

If I was inclined to "tear-arse" around the world at whistle-stop pace (which I'm not), in order to set a record that will be eclipsed probably sooner rather than later.

By the soon to be built (10 years away?), rocket-engined passenger "projectile"....basically anywhere on the planet (having the infrastructure to support) in 4 hours.

Then assuming I had a bulging cheque book plus a "year out", and an all consuming appetite for "temporary" immortality.
I think I would rather spend the time "hunting" out far flung places, in order to find species new to science!

If successful...one could name it!......now that's what I call real immortality
Old Thursday 10th December 2015, 17:12   #79
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
If I was inclined to "tear-arse" around the world at whistle-stop pace (which I'm not), in order to set a record that will be eclipsed probably sooner rather than later.

By the soon to be built (10 years away?), rocket-engined passenger "projectile"....basically anywhere on the planet (having the infrastructure to support) in 4 hours.

Then assuming I had a bulging cheque book plus a "year out", and an all consuming appetite for "temporary" immortality.
I think I would rather spend the time "hunting" out far flung places, in order to find species new to science!

If successful...one could name it!......now that's what I call real immortality
Really? I know a number of people that have found species new to science in many different orders including birds and mammals. I don't see anyone beating to their door to trumpet their immortality - no disrespect to them - I'm jealous of anyone who can spend more time enjoying nature than me.

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Thursday 10th December 2015, 17:43   #80
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
Really? I know a number of people that have found species new to science in many different orders including birds and mammals. I don't see anyone beating to their door to trumpet their immortality - no disrespect to them - I'm jealous of anyone who can spend more time enjoying nature than me.

All the best
I assume in relation to immortality, Ken refers to the possiblity of eponymus naming of the new species though this is considerd vulgar these days?

Andy
Old Thursday 10th December 2015, 18:23   #81
Sandy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I agree to a point, but if you're doing a year list and going for the record, no one else cares what fantastic experiences you may have, they want the number. A Blue Tit is worth as much as a Helmet Vanga. If you go to Madagascar you really should make it worthwhile. At the moment he only has Perinet listed (for 2 days), with another 2 days marked as '?'. Travel in Madagascar is difficult. He just won't realistically have time to go anywhere else, do some birding and get back to Tana in time for the flight out. So he's screwed basically. Perinet is fine, but has a restricted species list. I think he'd be better to do one day in Perinet, then either drive down to Ranomafana or even over to Ankarafantsika. Pretty mad distances and two days in the car, but if he wants to win...
This is one of the difficulties of trying to sent a record for a pastime. A House Sparrow has the same result as a bird of paradise or Spoonbill Sandpiper. To achieve the most birds, once you have seen a species move on. To someone with a interest the temption is to savour the experience.

One way to maximise the time in the field would be to fly/ travel at night.

Regards
Stuart
Old Thursday 10th December 2015, 18:24   #82
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I assume in relation to immortality, Ken refers to the possiblity of eponymus naming of the new species though this is considerd vulgar these days?

Andy
Indeed

All the best

Old Thursday 10th December 2015, 21:42   #83
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post

Andy
I've been called many things andy.....but never vulgar
Old Sunday 20th December 2015, 13:25   #84
Paul Chapman

Less than a fortnight to kick off and a few species available for a New Year's Day bash that Noah will not have got:-

http://waarneming.nl/index.php?lang=en

http://arjandwarshuis.com/the-bigges...ear-itinerary/

All the best

Last edited by Paul Chapman : Sunday 20th December 2015 at 17:06.
Old Wednesday 23rd December 2015, 20:31   #85
Richard Klim
-------------------------

Arjan Dwarshuis, Dutch Birding, 23 Dec 2015: The countdown has started.
Old Thursday 24th December 2015, 01:25   #86
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Could I recommend that this thread ends and a new one starts on January first? more than 3 pages of thread before the attempt even starts

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 24th December 2015, 04:30   #87
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Klim View Post
Arjan Dwarshuis, Dutch Birding, 23 Dec 2015: The countdown has started.
Interesting to see that he is 'as sure as hell' that his plan will be record breaking if he can 'physically and mentally keep [himself] together'. This is despite the fact that his spread/expectation is only 6,200 to 6,300 species. This will be a close run thing.

Not sure how tricky the adjustments for taxonomy will be during the year to make it a valid comparison but as we have a full species list from the current record, it will be easier to compare things as he goes along. At the start of the year, the maximum potential species is dictated by the itinerary with already a significant number 'off plan'. The number of remaining targets falls with not only what he sees but also as each destination is completed, the number of unique targets he can no longer see on the remaining itinerary.....

All th best

Old Thursday 24th December 2015, 06:59   #88
temmie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
I've been called many things andy.....but never vulgar
change your name to vulgar and you have a zillion species named after you!

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 24th December 2015, 13:31   #89
Mysticete

Quote:
Interesting to see that he is 'as sure as hell' that his plan will be record breaking if he can 'physically and mentally keep [himself] together'. This is despite the fact that his spread/expectation is only 6,200 to 6,300 species. This will be a close run thing.

Not sure how tricky the adjustments for taxonomy will be during the year to make it a valid comparison but as we have a full species list from the current record, it will be easier to compare things as he goes along. At the start of the year, the maximum potential species is dictated by the itinerary with already a significant number 'off plan'. The number of remaining targets falls with not only what he sees but also as each destination is completed, the number of unique targets he can no longer see on the remaining itinerary.....

All th best
Is he following IOC or clements? Noah is probably going to end up somewhere around 6000 clements, but presumably would be higher under IOC?
Mammal: 230 Herp: 174
Old Thursday 24th December 2015, 14:03   #90
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticete View Post
Is he following IOC or clements? Noah is probably going to end up somewhere around 6000 clements, but presumably would be higher under IOC?
IOC:-

http://observation.org/info.php

All the best

Old Thursday 24th December 2015, 15:15   #91
Bananafishbones
Incoherently Rambling .....

as Noah's year quickly draws in and hopefully reaches a stunning climax (although in many many ways it has already, but it aint quite over........), really looking forward to 2016 and following this thread to read about Arjans journey.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 24th December 2015, 16:13   #92
Sandy73

Quote:
So Noah's list would need to be converted to IOC if a comparison is to be made?

Regards
Old Thursday 24th December 2015, 16:20   #93
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy73 View Post

Regards
Yep; but we don't know if Noah has seen both of any pairs of birds split by IOC but not by Clements, as we only get told what's new on the Clements list.

Anyone know if he's seen e.g. both Cabot's Tern Thalasseus [sandvicensis] acuflavidus in the Americas and Sandwich Tern Thalasseus sandvicensis in Europe?
Old Thursday 24th December 2015, 16:25   #94
Paul Chapman

Quote:

Regards
Or you disallow IOC splits as Arjan goes along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Yep; but we don't know if Noah has seen both of any pairs of birds split by IOC but not by Clements, as we only get told what's new on the Clements list.

Anyone know if he's seen e.g. both Cabot's Tern Thalasseus [sandvicensis] acuflavidus in the Americas and Sandwich Tern Thalasseus sandvicensis in Europe?
A full data set would be available through e-bird.

All the best

Old Tuesday 29th December 2015, 17:03   #95
Paul Chapman

From the Dutch Birding article, this is the link where Arjan's sightings will appear:-

http://world.observation.org/user/li...4878?jaar=2016

Having done my last patch birding before my New Year's day bash, I think I'm looking forward to his kick off more than the 60 or 70 species I'll get on my patch! He looks as if he will have a calm dry day for it. He should get maybe half a dozen species on 1st January that Noah did not record this year?

All the best

Last edited by Paul Chapman : Tuesday 29th December 2015 at 17:05.
Old Wednesday 30th December 2015, 08:15   #96
Richard Klim
-------------------------

IOC vs eBird/Clements

Quote:
Quote:
Or you disallow IOC splits as Arjan goes along?
But there are also 68 extant species recognised by eBird/Clements but not by IOC, so it's not necessarily quite that simple...

IOC (v5.4) and eBird/Clements (v2015) recognise 10,612 and 10,365 extant spp respectively. So in crude terms, Arjan's total needs to be ~2.4% greater than Noah's to be broadly equivalent.
Old Wednesday 30th December 2015, 09:06   #97
davidhru

The process of comparing taxonomy lists could be simplified if we recognized there are 4 possible Big Year totals:
1. Clements/ebird including heard onlys
2. Clements/ebird with no heard onlys
3. IOC including heard onlys
4. IOC with no heard onlys

Noah's Big Year as he has recorded it will be the new record in the first type of Big Year. If he was willing to go through his list and delete his heard onlys he could set the standard for the type 2 record. And if he was really energetic he could recompile his sightings in accordance with IOC with and without heards.

Finally for the hardcore, someone could set the standard for a Big Year self found without guides (obviously a much lower total) or else like some Big Day competitions try to do a Big Year as a team. Maybe some of these things have already been attempted and I just don't know about them. Yikes starting to sound too competitive to be fun.

David
Old Wednesday 30th December 2015, 10:25   #98
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Klim View Post
But there are also 68 extant species recognised by eBird/Clements but not by IOC, so it's not necessarily quite that simple...

IOC (v5.4) and eBird/Clements (v2015) recognise 10,612 and 10,365 extant spp respectively. So in crude terms, Arjan's total needs to be ~2.4% greater than Noah's to be broadly equivalent.
Richard - I know it's not that simple but I had in mind someone who posts on here who seems to have an encyclopaedic knowledge on such things that could help....... (Happy New Year.) I reckon we stand a chance as we go along if we can get the Noah dataset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhru View Post
The process of comparing taxonomy lists could be simplified if we recognized there are 4 possible Big Year totals:
1. Clements/ebird including heard onlys
2. Clements/ebird with no heard onlys
3. IOC including heard onlys
4. IOC with no heard onlys

Noah's Big Year as he has recorded it will be the new record in the first type of Big Year. If he was willing to go through his list and delete his heard onlys he could set the standard for the type 2 record. And if he was really energetic he could recompile his sightings in accordance with IOC with and without heards.

Finally for the hardcore, someone could set the standard for a Big Year self found without guides (obviously a much lower total) or else like some Big Day competitions try to do a Big Year as a team. Maybe some of these things have already been attempted and I just don't know about them. Yikes starting to sound too competitive to be fun.

David
David - I think there are also some (many?) who exclude self-sustaining feral populations from their World lists including re-introductions so eg no Capercallie in Scotland.

I'd happily give this a crack if the dataset was available. I'll ask when he has finished. I doubt that it would be more than a 30 or so hour slog if someone gave me the comparison data.......

The variation on Category C populations/re-introductions would be trickier.

All the best

Last edited by Paul Chapman : Wednesday 30th December 2015 at 10:29.
Old Wednesday 30th December 2015, 11:11   #99
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
David - I think there are also some (many?) who exclude self-sustaining feral populations from their World lists including re-introductions so eg no Capercallie in Scotland.
What do they say about reintroductions like California Condor, where the global population is in that situation?
Old Wednesday 30th December 2015, 11:35   #100
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
What do they say about reintroductions like California Condor, where the global population is in that situation?
I anticipate they would say uncountable. It is interesting that there is a relatively small percentage that count the species from the number with World Lists on BUBO:-

http://www.bubo.org/Listing/view-lis...0&spec_id=8580

(My personal approach to all lists has evolved over the years to one simple principle - what I wish to add applying my own approach to the criteria of that particular type of list - geography, taxonomy, etc. When/if I see one, I would count it.)

All the best

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: