• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Gulls from Choshi, Japan (1 Viewer)

jmorlan

Hmmm. That's funny
Opus Editor
United States
9-10 February 2019. Choshi--Choshi Port, Chiba Prefecture, Japan.

I was unable to match these up with expected Vega or Slaty-backed Gulls. The first might be Mongolian, but after seeing real first cycle Mongolian and discussion with locals decided that it was probably just a variation of Vega.

I'm drawing a blank on the second. Maybe another Vega? Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• MysteryGullIMG_0709.jpg
    MysteryGullIMG_0709.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 80
  • MysteryGullIMG_1307.jpg
    MysteryGullIMG_1307.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Hi Joe,

both birds are either Slaty-backed Gulls or perhaps hybrid Slaty-backed x Vega Gulls.
The pattern of the greater coverts does not look entirely typical of Slaty-backed but otherwise the birds match this species pretty well.

Thanks. I can see that for bird #1. For bird #2, the black wing-tips and white body with checkered mantle are hard to reconcile. We considered worn Slaty-backed, but it did not look worn in the field. Is Great Black-backed Gull a possibility?

Is Great Black-backed Gull a possibility?

Absolutely not.

1w Slaty-backed can show blackish primaries. Upperparts look fine for this species; most of the scapulars are still juvenile and fresh which helps explain the different appearance from more advanced birds like #1.
I do not see a truly white body here, just white head/neck set off from uniform brown flanks - much like bird #1 actually.

It is all wrong for Caspian Gull: fresh juvenile plumage in February still (!), barred greater coverts, brown flanks, wrong bill shape, short primary projection, and also too much white on the juvenile scapulars.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back