Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Blue jays hogging the suet feeder

Old Sunday 2nd June 2019, 14:46   #1
MrBJones

Blue jays hogging the suet feeder

We've always had a few blue jays visiting the back yard, picking up seed on the ground under the feeder (they can't get on the feeder itself). No worries so far. But over the last month or so they've discovered the hanging suet feeder and are on it or its shepherd's hook all the time. They aren't aggressive, but the woodpeckers seem to be reducing their visits...I think the jays' simple presence discourages them. Besides that, the blue jays eat a LOT of suet. Any ideas on what I might do?

Last edited by MrBJones : Sunday 2nd June 2019 at 16:02.
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 15:59   #2
wilberfloss
Love, peace and understanding.

You could perhaps try removing the suet for a couple of days, to try to break their new-found suet habit. I can't think of anything else you could do to discourage them.
Old Monday 24th June 2019, 22:48   #3
Ruff
Two birds in one.

When they're around, blue jays are the boss of the yard. They will do what they want while they're there and that is how it is. I rather enjoy them, among the less timid of my visitors- excluding the species that are traditionally tame in this area, like chickadees.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: