Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Your local Patch/Reserve.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 18th August 2007, 13:04   #51
Pam_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil Bird View Post
Thanks guys. I would also love a wetlands patch (I have been to Beddington Sewage Faarm which is three miles away but it is harder to get to). But I am quite content with Nonsuch.
I would also be content with Nonsuch David

I have just had a quick look at your Website, and Blog! They look very good David, I shall return to them later and have a good read.

'Flying High' My Blog

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 18th August 2007, 13:08   #52
Chris-Leeds

Hi I'm going to try and post some pictures here from this morning's dog walk. Not great pictures, I've deleted a few but here are the best ones.Click image for larger version

Name:	Barnbow wood.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	99894Click image for larger version

Name:	Swallow run.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	99895Click image for larger version

Name:	Barnbow wood 2.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	99896Click image for larger version

Name:	Shippen plantation.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	99897

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood near Scholes.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	99898

I've named one picture Swallow run because as I stood on the footpath, swallows were flying up and down the lane passing within a foot or two of my head and legs. A nice experience.
Old Saturday 18th August 2007, 15:01   #53
Pam_m

You do yourself an injustice Chris...they are great pictures and thanks for showing us your dog walk patch It looks a lovely place !
I bet your dog get's plenty of walks having such beautiful lanes to walk down!
Can I be your dog walker please
Swallow run sounds perfect after the encounter you had with the Swallows, how exciting that must have been to have them flying by so closely!

Thanks for sharing your walk Chris and I hope you didn't get too wet, it is chucking it down here.

'Flying High' My Blog

Last edited by Pam_m : Saturday 18th August 2007 at 15:03.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 18th August 2007, 15:59   #54
Storm-Petrel
registered dude

This morning I had a flock of lark sparrows in my yard!

this spring there were only about five sparrows and now theres over 20! theyre happy little mating machines I'm glad though, because the lark sparrows are getting threatened by loss of habitat in both SA and USA. I wish the dickcissels would build a nest (they probablky have but i havent noticed an increase in theire numbers) and the bobwhites. Also theres an adorable juv mockingbird hanging out in our backyard, and thte barn swallows dont fancy him much! they keep divebombing him!
Old Saturday 18th August 2007, 18:28   #55
Pam_m

Hi David,
I hope you are having a good day and better weather than we are at present..rain all day long here!!

What super birds you have visit your backyard! That is good news with the Lark Sparrows too I have just googled all of your birds and I must say they are super looking birds!

That juvenile Mockingbird will soon get his own back when he matures though won't he, I have just read that they will attack or feign diving attacks on both domestic and wild felines, canines, crows and other birds, as well as humans who venture too close to their nest!!! You keep well away David!

Thanks for sharing your backyard news with us all!

'Flying High' My Blog

Old Saturday 18th August 2007, 19:50   #56
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

Just found this thread...great idea Pam.
My local reserve, of which I am a subscription paying Friend, is Rodley Nature Reserve. This is a former water treatment facility (sewage farm) that was converted to a nature reserve in the very late 90's. I don't get down there as often as I would wish as my day off no longer coincides with the day during the week when it is open. Weekends are difficult as I work Saturday and Sunday is usually spent with Sheila.
The road across the top of the first pic is the entrance road and the works you can see are still in use by Yorkshire Water, but the lower part of the pic is all reserve. There are now several ponds for dragonflies etc, which don't show as the picture is an old one from google earth.
They get surprisingly good birds at the reserve, including a spotted crake one year! It's one of the best places I know in the area for common gull, good for gt spot woodpecker and sparrowhawk. Excellent for whitethroat, chiffchaff and bullfinch and if you can remember the kingfisher I had for an avatar...I took the photo on the reserve.
I've also added some views of the main areas as marked on the map.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rodley Nature Reserve.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	99937  Click image for larger version

Name:	duck marsh looking from hide 3.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	99938  Click image for larger version

Name:	Wet meadows 1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	99939  Click image for larger version

Name:	Main Lagoon a2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	99940  

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 18th August 2007, 20:00   #57
Storm-Petrel
registered dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_m View Post
Hi David,

That juvenile Mockingbird will soon get his own back when he matures though won't he, I have just read that they will attack or feign diving attacks on both domestic and wild felines, canines, crows and other birds, as well as humans who venture too close to their nest!!! You keep well away David!
Yup, ive learned to keep away! my 20 pounder maine coon cat had the top of his head pecked off all the way down to his skull (literally!! ) and we had a lot of trouble fixing him up.
Old Saturday 18th August 2007, 20:01   #58
Storm-Petrel
registered dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Dickinson View Post
Just found this thread...great idea Pam.
My local reserve, of which I am a subscription paying Friend, is Rodley Nature Reserve. This is a former water treatment facility (sewage farm) that was converted to a nature reserve in the very late 90's. I don't get down there as often as I would wish as my day off no longer coincides with the day during the week when it is open. Weekends are difficult as I work Saturday and Sunday is usually spent with Sheila.
The road across the top of the first pic is the entrance road and the works you can see are still in use by Yorkshire Water, but the lower part of the pic is all reserve. There are now several ponds for dragonflies etc, which don't show as the picture is an old one from google earth.
They get surprisingly good birds at the reserve, including a spotted crake one year! It's one of the best places I know in the area for common gull, good for gt spot woodpecker and sparrowhawk. Excellent for whitethroat, chiffchaff and bullfinch and if you can remember the kingfisher I had for an avatar...I took the photo on the reserve.
I've also added some views of the main areas as marked on the map.
your patch looks wonderful, and sound wonderful too!
Old Saturday 18th August 2007, 20:12   #59
Pam_m

Thanks keith. Your reserve looks and sounds really good! Thanks for the pics and description of the reserve, some good birds you have there too! I do remember your Kingfisher Avatar, perhaps you should reinstate it to compliment your post!

I hope you will enjoy reading through the posts and links Keith, they are all brill!

'Flying High' My Blog

Old Saturday 18th August 2007, 20:14   #60
Pam_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Petrel View Post
Yup, ive learned to keep away! my 20 pounder maine coon cat had the top of his head pecked off all the way down to his skull (literally!! ) and we had a lot of trouble fixing him up.
Awgh David, the poor cat Hope he has fully recovered.

'Flying High' My Blog

Old Saturday 18th August 2007, 20:18   #61
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

I know Pam, I've had a good look through them...really enjoying this thread

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 18th August 2007, 20:21   #62
Pam_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Dickinson View Post
I know Pam, I've had a good look through them...really enjoying this thread
We have had a varied selection haven't we Keith, it makes for good reading! I am so pleased you are enjoying it!

'Flying High' My Blog

Old Saturday 18th August 2007, 23:50   #63
Dizzy

Caught up at last . This was a really good idea for a thread Pam, its great to see where everyone does their birding and learn a bit about the areas too, accompanied by some lovely photos.

Best Wishes
Old Monday 20th August 2007, 20:00   #64
Pam_m

Yesterday (Sunday) I visited another local reserve. Saltwells Nature Reserve.
http://www.dudley.gov.uk/environment...nature-reserve

The morning started off dull and dry but soon deteriorated to drizzle and then heavier rain! Undeterred I spent a good couple of hours walking through the woods, Doulton's Claypit and back again through the woods to the reservoir,then a walk back via another route through the woods! Very pleasant indeed. I shall certainly keep this reserve noted in my diary for the arrival of the Bluebells, although I will more than likely make this reserve a regular feature as the ever changing seasons bring new and exciting Flora and Fauna.

Photos 1 & 2 are of Doulton's Claypit, showing the outcrops of the Lower Carboniferous coals and clays. Photo 3 shows the small stream flowing through the woods. Photo 4 shows the reed bed in Doulton's Claypit, where I will hopefully find plenty of Odonata next year!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1120137.jpg
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	100291  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120138.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	100292  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120169.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	100293  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120157.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	100294  

'Flying High' My Blog

Old Monday 20th August 2007, 20:06   #65
brianfm
Botanical Birder

Lol Good to see your going to stick in with the odonata next year Pam!!!

Looks a real nice area. I can just see you tip toeing across those tree trunks so as not to get the feet wet!

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 20th August 2007, 20:15   #66
Pam_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfm View Post
Lol Good to see your going to stick in with the odonata next year Pam!!!

Looks a real nice area. I can just see you tip toeing across those tree trunks so as not to get the feet wet!
Ha ha!!! That is the best laugh I have had all day Brian.....as if I would even attempt to cross the stream there! No, the photo was taken on the narrow but perfectly adequate bridge!

I am definately sticking with my favourite new word Odonata, Brian

'Flying High' My Blog

Old Monday 20th August 2007, 21:04   #67
Mahsleb

Hi Pam
That's a nice looking reserve,and an interesting history too!
Love the Bluebell wood and the cliffs
Great pics, thanks
Cheers
Tony

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 21st August 2007, 07:23   #68
Ruth Daniel

Hi Pam,
I love your pics and all the info about another of your reserves this time in Dudley.....(sorry I can't say Dudley withoout practising my Brummie accent !!)
I bet it will look stunning next May when the Bluebells will be out.....you must return and take some pics!
The little bridge reminds me of the Pooh stick bridge....did you play?
This thread is filling up nicely with everyones patches,well done all they are great to see!
Old Tuesday 21st August 2007, 07:45   #69
Pam_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahsleb View Post
Hi Pam
That's a nice looking reserve,and an interesting history too!
Love the Bluebell wood and the cliffs
Great pics, thanks
Cheers
Tony
Thanks Tony! There were loads of Damson and Apple trees loaded with fruit along the pathway of the edge of the woods, I may go back for a few damsons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Daniel View Post
Hi Pam,
I love your pics and all the info about another of your reserves this time in Dudley.....(sorry I can't say Dudley withoout practising my Brummie accent !!)
I bet it will look stunning next May when the Bluebells will be out.....you must return and take some pics!
The little bridge reminds me of the Pooh stick bridge....did you play?
This thread is filling up nicely with everyones patches,well done all they are great to see!
Think of Lenny Henry saying Dudley, he was born there! I am a Brummie, so I cannot help with the accent
I certainly will take some pics of the Bluebells...should be quite a sight! I didn't have time to play, Ruth...I was too busy looking for the Flora,perhaps next time!

Agreed Ruth, the patches are great to see!!! Thanks everyone!

ps: I forgot to say in my post that 6 Green Sandpipers were reported at Upton Warren on Sunday......I missed them! Oh well perhaps next weekend they may still be there Seems as though it was a G.Sandpiper weekend!

'Flying High' My Blog

Old Wednesday 22nd August 2007, 15:03   #70
Wendy Morris

I promised to add something, so here it is. These are a few pics of my very local patch, that is, where I walk from home without needing the car. Hope to pop to Sutton Bingham later in the week, so will add that as and when. This area really is just countryside, there's no reserve or SSI, simply mixed farming.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My Patch 1.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	100561  Click image for larger version

Name:	My Patch 2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	100562  Click image for larger version

Name:	My Patch 3.jpg
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	100563  Click image for larger version

Name:	My Patch 5.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	100564  

Time spent on things that make you happy is never wasted.

Old Wednesday 22nd August 2007, 15:36   #71
Kits
Social Media Editor
BF Supporter 2019

Lovely pics Pam and Wendy. That's not just countryside, Wendy! It is soooo pretty.

"Sail away from safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 22nd August 2007, 18:54   #72
Pam_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Morris View Post
I promised to add something, so here it is. These are a few pics of my very local patch, that is, where I walk from home without needing the car. Hope to pop to Sutton Bingham later in the week, so will add that as and when. This area really is just countryside, there's no reserve or SSI, simply mixed farming.
Thank you very much Wendy for the information and photos! It really looks a lovely place for your local patch. I would say mixed farming is a bonus for the wildlife you have in your area .You chose well when you decided to settle there Wendy!

Looking forward now to seeing and hearing about Sutton Bingham, I hope you have a sunny day when you go! Enjoy!

'Flying High' My Blog

Old Thursday 23rd August 2007, 07:52   #73
Ruth Daniel

They are really beautiful pics Wendy.....puts me in mind of Hardy's Wessex!
Looking forward to hearing about S.Bingham now !
Old Friday 24th August 2007, 15:59   #74
Wendy Morris

Sutton Bingham.

At last, I managed an hour at SB reservoir. I've posted pictures before of some of the frequent residents, so I'll stick to location today. Not sure what the flowers are, but they look very crocus-like and I wonder if someone has planted them in the grass.

The birds and other wildlife do have to share their body of water with the sailing club and fishermen, but usually it is a very quiet and peaceful location.

You can see more at http://www.geocities.com/suttonbingham/ but be aware that the site has not been updated for more than a year! It's the best that I can find!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SB1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	100877  Click image for larger version

Name:	SB2.jpg
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	100878  Click image for larger version

Name:	SB3.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	100879  Click image for larger version

Name:	SB crocus.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	100880  

Time spent on things that make you happy is never wasted.

Old Friday 24th August 2007, 16:29   #75
brianfm
Botanical Birder

Well having just had a walk locally I kinda almost wished I had had a digi camera with me so I could have up loaded the mas of Amphibious Bistort on the lake. It looked wonderful in the sun.

I thought Wendys flower looked like Soapwort, but see that is a tall plant so must be wrong.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: