• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another newbie (1 Viewer)

Hi! I've been lurking in the background for a while now, slightly in awe at the talent on show in this forum,but really inspired.
I am new to birdwatching but I've always drawn and painted. I live in a fantastic place for birdwatching- Sharm el Sheikh. At the moment, I am still learning- haven't quite got the skills for drawing from life yet,but I am really enjoying myself.
Here is a journal page that I did after seeing European bee-eaters for the first time (oh the excitement!!), and a more detailed drawing too.
Tips and critiques are most welcome;)
Sinai

Attachments

• IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 125
  • double trouble.jpg
    double trouble.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 135
Hi! I've been lurking in the background for a while now, slightly in awe at the talent on show in this forum,but really inspired.
I am new to birdwatching but I've always drawn and painted. I live in a fantastic place for birdwatching- Sharm el Sheikh. At the moment, I am still learning- haven't quite got the skills for drawing from life yet,but I am really enjoying myself.
Here is a journal page that I did after seeing European bee-eaters for the first time (oh the excitement!!), and a more detailed drawing too.
Sinai

Really stylish- the looong shadow on the top left bird is a beauty!

Hi Sinai and welcome on behalf of the Staff and Moderators

I'm sure you will enjoy it here - amazing artwork:t: I'm in awe

D

Welcome

Drawing skill is harder to acquire than photography skill, and you clearly have it! Welcome aboard, and we hope you visit and post often!

Sinai

Hi Sinai Dreamer,
Lovely artwork - captures everything which makes birdwatching such a special hobby. Your delight in seeing these fabulous birds is transmitted through your wonderfully crafted illustrations and a thoroughly nicely designed page spread. Look forward to seeing more of your work.]
Excellent stuff!

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
I'm so pleased that you like my bee-eater sketches. So, confidence boosted, here is another of my favourite birds- the curlew. This guy lived on the beach here all winter. We called him Charlie. These are soft pastel.
Thanks for looking!
Sinai

Attachments

• Charlie Curlew catches a Crab.jpg
    Charlie Curlew catches a Crab.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Heading Home.jpg
    Heading Home.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 124
Beautiful work, Sinai! I particularly love the soft morning light of your Curlew pieces, what a perfectly wonderful record of a tranquil morning spent with your friend.

What an entrance! these are beautiful. Very glad to have you on board and looking forward to seeing more.

Really lovely stuff, the curlews are very peaceful, calm images and the bee-eater journal page captures the moment absolutely. Nice to see yet another individual style on the forum.

Mike

Hi Sinai, Welcome aboard first of all!

Adore the bee eaters, especially the pages from the sketcbook, really top stuff.
The curlew pieces are fantastic, love the treatment of colour, really impressive work. Congrats. Looking forward to seeing more...

What a nice group you all are! I really apreciate the welcome!

I should perhaps tell you a little about myself-
I'm Irish but live in Egypt with my husband and two young daughters. I really love living here, and I'm fascinated at the variety of the wildlife here in the Sinai. I took up painting and drawing full time a few years ago. I do a lot of sketching from life, but I find birds so difficult to do!
I hope that one day, I will be able to go out and draw from them from life. At the moment, I'm still dependant on my photographs...and even they aren't great!! If you only could see how many empty blue sky photos I take!! LOL!
I need to practise!

I'm so amazed at the quality of the drawings and paintings here. SO inspiring!

Can I ask what is probably a really stupid question (I'm sure that this is one of the few places that I will get the answer)- How many feathers are there in a wing? and in a tail??

I apologise for my total lack of bird anatomy knowledge...but I would really love to know.

Thanks!

Sinai

Can I ask what is probably a really stupid question (I'm sure that this is one of the few places that I will get the answer)- How many feathers are there in a wing? and in a tail??

I apologise for my total lack of bird anatomy knowledge...but I would really love to know.

Thanks!

Sinai

Hi Sinai

Really impressive pictures! With regard to your questions about anatomy, I remember someone on this forum posted a very useful link a while back that answered such questions. Anyone remember where it was? I forgot to bookmark it!

Whilst searching for it, I came across this, which I thought was worth passing on.

With regard to your Q about how many feathers - most birds have 12 tail feathers, 10 primaries and 10 secondaries, and goodness knows how many coverts! But please, don't try to draw them all!

Regards

Dave

Sinai, your curlew presentations are excellent! They really capture the moment well. The proportions of the bird are spot on and I can even "feel" the breeze ruffling the feathers of the first bird.

Keep up the good work! I look forward to seeing more.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back