• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40D EF-D Focus Screen Good or NO GOOD? (1 Viewer)

CANONROB

Hi

Does anyone use the EF-D focus screen on the 40D, if so was it worth buying and how easy was it to fit.
They say it is great for getting the horizon & verticals level, and that it also makes the viewfinder brighter.
If you have fitted one could you explain what it was that you did.....mind you, if you do say they are fantastic every where is out of stock.

Thanks in advance

The new focus screen certainly does help with horizontals. Not sure if I noticed any difference in brightness. Fitting is is really easy, as long as you have the tool that comes with it.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the EF-D and the EC-D screens? Apart from price that is.

Just found the answer myself. It's for EOS 1
DOH

Last edited:
Hi

Does anyone use the EF-D focus screen on the 40D, if so was it worth buying and how easy was it to fit.
They say it is great for getting the horizon & verticals level, and that it also makes the viewfinder brighter.
If you have fitted one could you explain what it was that you did.....mind you, if you do say they are fantastic every where is out of stock.

Thanks in advance

I have been very pleased with the grid screen for my 40D. No more sloping horizons in seascapes, or tilted portraits. Very easy to fit with the tool which came with it.

I have now bought and fitted the EFD screen to my 40D, very easy to fit, but you must remember to change the custom function to the screen you have fitted.
With my 100 400 L on the monopod it makes getting the pictures level very easy when rotating from portrait to landscape, I would recomend the EFD, they are on Warehouse Express for £19.99 + £1.50 P&P including the tool.

Rob (Canon)

Love the EFD screen. Not a huge difference, but the grids are very nice to have and not at all distracting when you don't need them. It's not a strict rule-of-thirds, which is a little disappointing, though.

It is EXTREMELY easy to install. I was skeptical but after one read through the instructions it really should only take about a minute for the whole procedure, if even that.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back