• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amazing paintings. (1 Viewer)

Paul S. Hartley

Hello,

I recently posted a link to some of the artwork by Ron Kingswood, an artist I admire greatly for his strong compositions and novel use of space. It occurred to me that many of you will have favorite artworks by artists old and new, well known and obscure.

It would be very helpful to open up a discussion regarding why a particular piece of work affects you so much - maybe the composition, colours, the species, the posture, the place etc...

Obviously we would need to see the picture or have a link to it.

So to start things off (hopefully):
I propose 'The Clearing' by Ron Kingswood see http://rosefredrick.com/Clearing_painting.html

This is an amazing painting which I love for its apparent simplicity. The composition is bold, stark, deliberately imbalanced and very successful. The eye is drawn to the bird and there is nothing to distract except the openness of the cold landscape. The solid dark shape reminds you that nature is an abstract form, full of bleak mystery and wonder.
Although this is not a 'view down the 'scope' for even through the 'bins it retains intimacy. For me, the picture evokes that sense of 'first sighting' we are all familiar with.

Id love to hear from anyone else with a favorite painting. And if Ron Kingswood is reading this - Ill send you my address so you can forward me the picture for Christmas!!

Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Paul H.

Here's my favourite painting (wildlife, anyway). I remember first seeing it in Birds, I think and wondering how on earth anyone could make such a simple scene so intriguingly beautiful. . . a couple of decades on and I still think the same.

Attachments

• LJ.jpg
    LJ.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 218
Hi Tim,

That is a particularly sensitive painting - the vegetation is handled brilliantly; who was the artist? Lars Johnsson? I particularly like the wonderful contrast between the warm sienna of the snipe and the blues of the autumnal / wintry environment.

Paul H.

I honestly don't know if I could pick one favorite, but here is one that sticks out. I may post a couple of times as I think of more...

Attachments

• bateman-winter-pond.jpg
    bateman-winter-pond.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 160
Cannot sleep. So why not search for amazing paintings? So far managed to re-find a wonderful piece of an magellan goose by Chris Bacon. There's something delicate and intiquing in the piece. The goose seems so vulnerable - and real. Not to mention the beautiful light, limited colors and the relaxed pose of the bird.

http://www.chrisbacon.com/images/w_Light Waves.jpg

Elina

Yes,Tim,your shot posted ,a Snipe?,is just perfect.I went to our local art exhibition last night,and saw a couple of lovely bird paintings by members of the local art group.Perhaps one could look around nearer to home.

. . . your shot posted ,a Snipe?,is just perfect.

(. . Woodcock. :t: ). And pretty cool . . in a very warm kind of way.

Obviously we would need to see the picture or have a link to it.

So to start things off (hopefully):
I propose 'The Clearing' by Ron Kingswood see http://rosefredrick.com/Clearing_painting.html

This is an amazing painting which I love for its apparent simplicity. .

Very stark. Like the environment itself I guess. Evokes the scene well in its simplicity. 'Modern Art' involving wildlife, why can't the rest of them try it!

Here is another by the aforementioned Lars Jonsson. It's similar to the Bateman I posted, but something just gets to me about low light and waterfowl. Maybe I'm cheating by posting more than one, but this is a fun topic and I can't wait to see what other people post.

Attachments

• lars_jonsson_pintails.jpg
    lars_jonsson_pintails.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 144
Oops - Lord knows why I thought that was a snipe in the Lars Johnsson painting! The Chris Bacon painting of the Megallan Goose is exquisite, the light is brilliant - almost Biblical! Im not familiar with Chris Bacon's work - I will look out for more. Many thanks Elina.

Paul H.

I'll second the goose, Elina. Bacon's my absolute fave -- he posted a study on his site recently, similar idea, of a peep and its shadow, brilliant! I went to a show of his last fall, spent hours with my nose inches from the wall and still couldn't figure out how the 'ell he does it! He and Jonsson both, masterful with light.

I've got two to post. The first, a simple piece by Thomas Anderson -- more detailed than his usually somewhat stylized work, but it was one that I just couldn't stop looking at for weeks. There's something about the abstractness of the heron and its black and white markings, with that one red eye peering out (one of my all time favourite bird renderings). The second need not be this specific piece, as pretty well anything at all from Jim Morgan would do, but it showcases his ability to render sunlight on snow as no one else can.

Attachments

• Thomas Anderson - Night Heron - original.jpg
    Thomas Anderson - Night Heron - original.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 129
  • James Morgan - Snow Birds.jpg
    James Morgan - Snow Birds.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 225
Striking how all of the faves on this thread show such restrained use of colour- yet birds themselves carry so much colour.

I'm a bit leary of scanning published work, but I guess at this resolution and in this thread its fairly for the purposes of criticism and review. Here's my all time favourite- often with an Ennnion its the originality and ambition of the original idea that sets it apart, even before pencil has touched paper. But then there's the composition, the drawing- those birds top right are so sophisticated and bear in mind he was operating in the pre-digipic age. Then there's the colouring. Rich but restrained...

Attachments

• spotred copy.jpg
    spotred copy.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 181
Jomo - it was from one of your posts actually from which I found Chris Bacon. It was quite honestly love at first sight when I opened that web page and saw the amazing way in which he renderes detail and light.

Love that night heron. Just look at that eye. And the Jonsson's woodcock. Achingly beaufitul.

That Ennion piece is amazing. Never seen such behaviour by waders (with the exception of phalaropes).

Great thread. :) Such a joy to see other people's favorite pieces of art.

Elina

Ed K - thats a truly amazing painting and many thanks for posting it. I love Eric Ennion's work and it you make an important point about the era he was working in. Ive never seen this picture before - its classic. How can anyone get that many birds so right?

You also make a great point about the subdued colours used by these great artists. Im going to see if I can find something really gaudy over the next few days!

Paul H.

haha, glad you got there first Ed, saved me scanning it myself - that was the one that sprang to mind straight away for me!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back