• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wings Over Winecountry, Colleen's place (1 Viewer)

Hi Collen,

I think I'm going to have to employ someone to help keep me up to date with all that's going on here;)

Special mention for No.111, just superb.

Great discipline to finish the 300, my hats off to you...

not so easy keeping up with this site as it used to be...
I'm still working on plein air, now that the first 120 are over I'm settling into working at the coast on the sea...

this one has some brown smudges that are brown pelicans, less than 1/4 inch, and I'm not matty so please don't ask me to fix the bills... will try to paint this later from my photos I love how they ride the wave crests in a line like this.

Bodega headlands ( I found a fairly safe place a little down the cliff to paint so I could get closer to the waves...

6"X8"
oil on oil primed linen.

Attachments

• bodega headlands_3054.jpg
    bodega headlands_3054.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 56
beautifully composed - the rocks leading out, the waves leading in and a thunderous crash where the two meet in a wave.

Colleen you've more than cracked the plein air vibe. Light, atmosphere, sense of place and time these have them all by the brushload! And on top of that I can sense your excitement at capturing the scenes in front of you.

Superb stuff!

Mike

Nick, how can you say that? the comp is the weakest part IMO...and you who I so admire for the complex and perfect comps in your pics, I feel this one is stiff and overloaded with stuff, esp for a 6"x8" format....now I don't know if I can trust my own opinion on this...:gh:

Colleen, Your work always amazes me and inspires me to get back to it! #120 in the plein air is beautiful, I love that sky and it give the painting sucha forbiding feeling, it looks a bit textured? Wonderful work!

Colleen, it looks like you have really found a comfortable and successful niche with the seascapes - they certainly convey the sense of place of the coast. The nocturne is very well executed as well. I still have too much trouble painting during the day to try something by moonlight yet...! :-O Keep the great stuff coming.

Nick, how can you say that? the comp is the weakest part IMO...and you who I so admire for the complex and perfect comps in your pics, I feel this one is stiff and overloaded with stuff, esp for a 6"x8" format....now I don't know if I can trust my own opinion on this...:gh:

So difficult to please! ;) OK, I'll go back and try to find something wrong with it, just to make you happy.

OK, found it! I wonder if you go straight to the pelicans when you look at it, knowing you painted them in and knowing they're there? If the eye goes there first, the comp doesn't work so well, but immediately my eyes follow the rocks to the waves, then roll back onto the rocks and then as the wave goes back out, up to the horizon.

Certainly a piece that I like very, very much.

quote=colleenc;1967707]Nick, how can you say that? the comp is the weakest part IMO...and you who I so admire for the complex and perfect comps in your pics, I feel this one is stiff and overloaded with stuff, esp for a 6"x8" format....now I don't know if I can trust my own opinion on this...:gh:[/quote]
Nope - Nick's right and you're wrong - you don't know what you're talking about girl!! ;)
Now get on with something you CAN do and PAINT some more!!! :-O:-O:-O

happy, is there ever such a thing? maybe for a few min now and then...B :)

I'd say it's getting there tho...

George Inness (1825-1890) the great Am landscape painter was so bipolar over his work He'd declare "This is the greatest painting I've ever done at night when finished, and the next morning come in wailing total tripe and crap and paint it all out again. Even sometimes taking back a work he sold and "fixing" a few things, the poor buyer would get back some completely different painting!

But Colleen,

You are MUCH LOVED!

And all you need to do is breathe through your brushes.

And your heart will blind us all!

Everything you do puts the Sun to shame. Insecurity is a symptom of past unreasonable criticism. IMO.

I adore these seascapes!

I learn from them. And bow to your brilliance!

Fill your wings with heat and wind. And soar over us again!

Dearest poet Phil....thanks :hippy::flyaway:

Ok I admit it at last,.... I'm completely bonkers over plein air. Went out today so sunny and nice where I live, and so socked in fog at Bodega 25 miles away that I couldn't even see the marina next to the road...at the Point the surf was up WAY up, waves of 15-20 feet, and couldn't see the end of the parking lot.

Did I give up, noooooo wayyyy, I got out my gear and went to the cliff edge, tucked myself into a little cranny near the edge but safe( I think anyway) and WOW the surf sounded like avalanches So below you will see my best effort at an impossible painting, the first and third photo are about what I could see....I had to up the contrast so you could see I did get that huge wave, and some of the rest...even the hardy cormorants seemed to be watching the show along with me, It really was peasoup fog and I put in a bit more detail than I could see; been there enough to push it...also including some photos 1-4 of the wave burying the rock that stands about 30' high, and the post after this one will show a view of my painting "nest", and my blue bankie that I sit on and wrap around me to keep warm, I painted on my lap.

oil on canva paper 6x9

Attachments

• pounding surf and fog oil_3115.jpg
    pounding surf and fog oil_3115.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 1 bodega head surf and fog_3088.jpg
    1 bodega head surf and fog_3088.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 44
  • 2 bodega head surf and fog 1_3094.jpg
    2 bodega head surf and fog 1_3094.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 3bodega head surf and fog 2_3098.jpg
    3bodega head surf and fog 2_3098.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 4bodega head surf and fog 3_3100.jpg
    4bodega head surf and fog 3_3100.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
my painting nest

Here is the little cranny where I painted, it's sheltered from the wind a little, and looks down on the resting rock of the cormorants, and gulls, also where some nest in the spring...it's about 10' from the edge on one side, and if I tripped I would not fall into the sea but have room in the gully to catch my balance...I think about things like that because I'm a bit afraid of heights.

I boosted it in PS as it was so dark by then the camera couldn't see.

Attachments

• bodega headlands my nest_3109.jpg
    bodega headlands my nest_3109.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 49
These are just gorgeous! Light through the water and crashing waves in the fog. I think you could paint the sea endlessly from one spot and never see the same painting twice. I love these seascapes Colleen and I reckon you should take all 120, (or however many it is now), frame them and arrange an exhibition close to the spot where you're painting. You'ld sell out I reckon.

Keep painting them and showing us. Don't forget that you are a damn fine painter of birds too!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back