• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southeast China Dec/Jan 2018/19 (1 Viewer)

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Supporter
Scotland
I'm looking to do a trip to southeast China this winter. The dates aren't fixed yet but will be for around 15 days sometime between mid-December and mid-January. I can't do times outwith that period. There are two other people interested but we would like one or two more people to lower the costs.

The tour will be organised and guided by Summer Wong. Summer is an experienced and very good guide (has guided for Birdquest), who is also a BF member. This is the approximate itinerary for the tour:
http://www.summerwongtours.com/blog/15-days-southeast-china-tour/
You can also read a report from a similar tour that Summer ran a few years ago:
http://www.summerwongtours.com/wp-c...a-bird-tour-report-23rd-Nov-5th-Dec-2014-.pdf

We should have a chance of seeing most of the specialities of the region. These include Cabot's Tragopan, Elliot's, Koklass, Silver and Reeves' Pheasants, Siberian, Hooded and White-naped Cranes, Swan Goose, Scaly-sided Merganser, Spoon-billed Sandpiper, Pied Falconet, Moustached Laughingthrush, Short-tailed Parrotbill and a wide array of wintering wildfowl, waders, thrushes and buntings.

There is also a possibility of a couple of short extensions to Hainan (three endemic species and a few other good ones) and Nonggang for the recently discovered babbler (see here for an idea of what else might be seen).

The cost for four people for the 15-day tour will be 21,750 Yuan, which is approximately £2445, $3177 or 2728 Euros. This doesn't include international flights to Shanghai (maybe around £500-600 return from the UK during that period).

PM me if you're interested.

I'm looking to do a trip to southeast China this winter. The dates aren't fixed yet but will be for around 15 days sometime between mid-December and mid-January. I can't do times outwith that period. There are two other people interested but we would like one or two more people to lower the costs.

The tour will be organised and guided by Summer Wong. Summer is an experienced and very good guide (has guided for Birdquest), who is also a BF member. This is the approximate itinerary for the tour:
http://www.summerwongtours.com/blog/15-days-southeast-china-tour/
You can also read a report from a similar tour that Summer ran a few years ago:
http://www.summerwongtours.com/wp-c...a-bird-tour-report-23rd-Nov-5th-Dec-2014-.pdf

We should have a chance of seeing most of the specialities of the region. These include Cabot's Tragopan, Elliot's, Koklass, Silver and Reeves' Pheasants, Siberian, Hooded and White-naped Cranes, Swan Goose, Scaly-sided Merganser, Spoon-billed Sandpiper, Pied Falconet, Moustached Laughingthrush, Short-tailed Parrotbill and a wide array of wintering wildfowl, waders, thrushes and buntings.

There is also a possibility of a couple of short extensions to Hainan (three endemic species and a few other good ones) and Nonggang for the recently discovered babbler (see here for an idea of what else might be seen).

The cost for four people for the 15-day tour will be 21,750 Yuan, which is approximately £2445, $3177 or 2728 Euros. This doesn't include international flights to Shanghai (maybe around £500-600 return from the UK during that period).

PM me if you're interested.[/QUOTE

Myself and my Wife did this trip on our own with Summer Wong in the second half of January this year. She is an excellent guide, knows all the sites and comes highly reccommended. In the end we saw almost all the good birds,but the weather was atrocious for most of the time-hovering around freezing as there was a 'Siberian' system over most of China while we were there.Sitting in various hides for several hours waiting for Pheasants to appear was essential,but not particularly pleasant,and on one occasion I am sure we suffered from mild hypothermia in spite of having taken winter clothing with us. None of the hotels were heated,and having dinner in an open-ended restaurant at the end of the day,with the temperature often below freezing, wasn't funny. We chickened out on the last day in Fuzhou as by that time we were knackered so missed some of the waders including a possible Spoon-billed Sandpiper. The various sites are relatively far apart and we had several days in the car covering the ground. I think we were just unlucky this year as the winter there is normally very mild,and I'm sure 2019 will be much better.Do come back to me if you want any furher advice.
Tom Lawson.

Thanks Tom! I went on tour with Summer earlier this year, so know about her impressive skills and knowledge. I hope it's a bit warmer this winter - I'll remember to take some warm clothes though.

I've been to many of those places. The birding is great, but they are rather far apart. You've got quite a few 5-6 hour drives there.

Poyang in winter is spectacular. I think we actually had four species of crane there. Not sure how good Emeifeng and Wuyuan are in winter.

And if you're going after spooner near Fuzhou, bring your Wellies, preferably knee-high ones!

Andrew, the extension to Hainan, do you have also an itinerary for this trip?

Mietek

I don't have any specific itinerary or dates yet. I think all of the birds can be seen at one site (Jianfengling) so presume that's where we would go. I think the Hainan Peacock Pheasant is pretty hard and difficult to guarantee though. The number of days aren't set yet either - it may depend on how long people have available.

I've been to many of those places. The birding is great, but they are rather far apart. You've got quite a few 5-6 hour drives there.

Poyang in winter is spectacular. I think we actually had four species of crane there. Not sure how good Emeifeng and Wuyuan are in winter.

And if you're going after spooner near Fuzhou, bring your Wellies, preferably knee-high ones!

Thanks Jeff. Long drives are pretty much the norm for birding in China - it's a big country. I think the specialities should all be possible at Emeifeng and Wuyuan in winter. Scaly-sided Merganser is a winter feature at the latter. Poyang sounds like quite a place.

Hi

I'd definitely fly or, if time allows, take a day on the bullet train to get to Shangers from Fuzhou. c.780km is a long old drive at the end of that itinerary. Remember that the train goes to Hongqiao airport not Pudong so you still need to cross the city (but that gives an opportunity to ride the Maglev so worth it)

You used to be able to stay in the Forest park in Fuzhou too...I really a night listening to an apparently consumptive old man hacking, coughing and spluttering his way around the, um, "bespoke" accommodation but it does mean you're in the park at first light (still dipped the feckin' partridges!)

@Jeff - is it really five and half years ago since we did Poyang? Just re-read our threads on that. Happy days

cheers, Mark

I agree with McMadd. Ride the HSR when you can, especially the Fuzhou-Shanghai leg. Late in the day flights in China get delayed A LOT, and that is one really long drive.

And Mark, I was stunned when you said it was 5-1/2 years ago. That was a great trip. It seems like yesterday. And I still tell friends about the bittern that our guide found at 40 mph.

And I dipped on the partridge in Fuzhou, too...and the Elliott's Pheasant at Emeifeng...and the Chinese Crested Tern twice in Fuzhou. GRRR.

Last edited:
I think the Hainan Peacock Pheasant is pretty hard and difficult to guarantee though.

This is probably a serious understatement. The Polyplectron is an absolute b@#&*$£. I spent four days at Jianfengling last spring and heard a peacock-pheasant somewhat distantly once. Others have had broadly similar (mis)fortune. I think Paul Holt got a pretty scrappy view of one, but he’s very much in the minority from what I’ve heard, although I don’t pretend to be keeping close tabs on who’s seen what in China.

This is probably a serious understatement. The Polyplectron is an absolute b@#&*$£. I spent four days at Jianfengling last spring and heard a peacock-pheasant somewhat distantly once. Others have had broadly similar (mis)fortune. I think Paul Holt got a pretty scrappy view of one, but he’s very much in the minority from what I’ve heard, although I don’t pretend to be keeping close tabs on who’s seen what in China.

Thanks Guy - that's the impression I get too.

The SE China trip is potentially still going ahead for anyone interested, probably starting just after Christmas. Might be extensions available too, although nothing concrete yet.

Same from me Andrew, for what little it's worth: 4 days at Jianfengling, didn't even hear the peacock pheasant. But it's a great spot, would love to return one day.....

Andrew how's this looking? I presume those prices are per person?

It's looking as though it will go ahead and we have dates for the main SE China tour of 30th December to 13th January. There may be extensions before the main trip, though nothing is confirmed on this yet. The prices I gave in the first post are per person and on the basis of four participants (we have three at the moment).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back