• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand (1 Viewer)

stevefloyd

Off to Thailand again end of this month but can't make my mind up where to go, been to Kaeng Krachan, Khao Yai and Doi Inthanon anyone out there or been recently to suggest somewhere?
I have to say Doi Inthanon was the best place not so much for the birds although there were plenty, I just loved it up there !!

If you've not been too Dao Ang Kang and the surrounding areas around the Thai / Myanmar border in the north west - NW of Chiang Rai, then head there. Absolutely knockout.

Doi Lang is excellent.
Isn't most of Thailand likely to be pretty wet at the end of September?

October start raptor migration.

http://www.thaibirding.com/features/khao-dinsor-raptor-migration.htm

"From early September 2010, we began an intensive research programme at Khao Dinsor to determine how many raptor species and others migrate past the site, and in what numbers. Based upon preliminary observations, we estimate that the southbound autumn migration may be between 250,000 and 500,000 raptors of at least 25 species, including five Accipiter species—the highest number of Accipiter species at any watch site in the world. On 18 October 2010, a Black Eagle Ictinaetus malayensis malayensis was photographed at Khao Dinsor; this bird followed the same track as the migrants that day—arriving low from the north and continuing to the south— possibly the first record of this species on migration in Thailand, although it may have wandered from the mountains that separate Thailand from Myanmar. There are other exciting possibilities, as we have already seen White-throated Needletail Hirundapus caudacutus, once thought to be rare in Thailand, pass by in flocks of 30–40 birds."

I spent 3 nights/4 days in Nam Nao National Park this past June and absolutely loved it. It's in Phetchabun province, and a little off the usual birding path, but the rain shouldn't be too much of a problem at the end of September.

I stayed in the national park accommodation which was comfortable enough and allowed me to get birding early and easily. While there I saw close to 100 species (and that was during a non-migratory period, of course), including 8 species of woodpecker. On top of the birds, there are abundant elephants and other mammals, and the national park is also close to Phu Kieo Wildlife Sanctuary, although it takes a little more planning to arrange a stay within the sanctuary itself.

Ben.

Off to Thailand again end of this month but can't make my mind up where to go, been to Kaeng Krachan, Khao Yai and Doi Inthanon anyone out there or been recently to suggest somewhere?
I have to say Doi Inthanon was the best place not so much for the birds although there were plenty, I just loved it up there !!

If you've got a spare afternoon or morning in Bangkok, a mate of mine discovered a park in the NW of the city called Suan Rot Fai. It's near the Chatuchak Metro Station. He used to do regular updates on his blog http://bangkokcitybirding.blogspot.com/ though not so much now. SRF is an excellent place to see Palearctic migrants in small numbers. Certainly Brown Shrike and Arctic Warbler (make what you will of them), presumably Yellow-broweds, Brown and Taiga Fly. But all sorts of other possibilities at that time of year.

Rains were starting to diminish when I was around Bangkok/Khao Yai mid-September three years ago, but there were still 1-2 drenchings.

I spent 3 nights/4 days in Nam Nao National Park this past June and absolutely loved it. It's in Phetchabun province, and a little off the usual birding path, but the rain shouldn't be too much of a problem at the end of September.

I stayed in the national park accommodation which was comfortable enough and allowed me to get birding early and easily. While there I saw close to 100 species (and that was during a non-migratory period, of course), including 8 species of woodpecker. On top of the birds, there are abundant elephants and other mammals, and the national park is also close to Phu Kieo Wildlife Sanctuary, although it takes a little more planning to arrange a stay within the sanctuary itself.

Ben.

I was 4 night there in March. 4 differnt woodpeckers in one evening.
Good birdlife many flowering orchids in this time.

Hi all... on the subject of birding Thailand, I was wondering if anyone here had been to Srinakrin Dam (also spelt Srinakarin or Srinagarind) in Kanchanaburi, and could give us an idea of what might be seen there?

Cheers,
patudo

Hi all... on the subject of birding Thailand, I was wondering if anyone here had been to Srinakrin Dam (also spelt Srinakarin or Srinagarind) in Kanchanaburi, and could give us an idea of what might be seen there?

Cheers,
patudo

Hi Patudo,

Have you looked at these?

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1208754?yr=all&m=&rank=mrec

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L3894925?yr=all&m=&rank=mrec

(khuean = dam in Thai)

And here are the hotspots for the whole Kanchanaburi province:

https://ebird.org/region/TH-71/hotspots?yr=all&m=

Ben.

We’re having a very “wet” wet season this year, so the northern mountains are likely to have a great deal of rainfall, and the wintering spp won’t be in yet. I’d expect heavy rains to continue for the next 4-6 weeks.

Personally if I had free time I’d go to Khao Dinsor to the catch the very spectacular raptor migration, as mentioned further up this thread. This also offers great photo opportunities. Details of daily counts can be found here.

Passage migrants are coming through Bangkok in good numbers now, so any free time in the city can be spent productively in Suan Rot Fai.

Best wishes,

Dave

Last edited:
I'm just back down to Bangkok from Chaing Mai / Chaing Rai. I was over in Doi Lang which was excellent. The weather was really good up there and only a small amount of rainfall. Doi Lang was a really nice and quiet location to go to, however you definitely need a 4x4 to get up the mountain at the moment.

I was also impressed with Doi Tung, especially at the Mae Fah Luang Arboretum, there was a lot of activity there.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back