• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird in Guanacaste, Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

dannybou

Hello everyone, photographed this hummingbird this morning. I can't put my finger on which species it is despite browsing the web and my book. Any help identifying this hummingbird would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_9349.JPG
    DSC_9349.JPG
    380.8 KB · Views: 90
Not a 100%
Looks good for Violet-crowned woodnymph, hummingbird (Thalurania colombica)
Bill, color patterning, looks good. In range.
Additional frontal views, if you have them, would help

Hi Bill, thanks for your reply. I had looked at the woodnymph but since I have no photo of the front I was not sure. The color of the bill, being reddish with a black tip and a "V" shape tail kind of looks like a Canivet's Emerald as well. Too bad I don't have a frontal photo, he actually perched only for a few seconds before moving on. He does seem to show up now and again in the same tree so I will see if I can get a shot from the front. Thanks again mate.

Danny

Hi Bill, thanks for your reply. I had looked at the woodnymph but since I have no photo of the front I was not sure. The color of the bill, being reddish with a black tip and a "V" shape tail kind of looks like a Canivet's Emerald as well. Too bad I don't have a frontal photo, he actually perched only for a few seconds before moving on. He does seem to show up now and again in the same tree so I will see if I can get a shot from the front. Thanks again mate.

Danny

Canivet's it is :t:

Yes, male Canivet's based on uniform green back, forked tail, and straight red bill with dark tip. The blue on throat is because of the angle of lighting.

Can't see all the colors, and don't know the bird from personal experience, just cruising through a CR guide...

That said, could this be Blue-throated Goldentail?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back