• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gray or Gray-lined Hawk (1 Viewer)

Since the width of the subterminal band seems to vary, I wouldn't use it as a definitive field mark on perched birds. The darker upperparts of Gray Hawk seems to be a more consistent field mark to use. Still, I don't feel comfortable giving the bird in a photo a name without seeing more of it. In Costa Rica, there is also that possibility of using the dreaded "h" word. Does it happen? Probably does but since they already look so similar it might be tough to even pick those ones out. Given the location of this mystery hawk, it could certainly fall into that unfortunate category.

Thanks everyone. its a shame it can't be pinned down unanimously but hey ho I guess that's part of the fun
alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back