• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What cats have you seen? (1 Viewer)

I thought that I had a really short list! It is oviously a lot more difficult to see cats in the wild than I imagined and it's not just me!. My list is:
Lion - several in Kruger
Leopard - LIT in Kruger
Wild cat - presumably a European one as it was in Northern Spain
Iberian Lynx - where nearly everyone else has seen one!
Tiger - But only just! Not a full view but just the back when it leapt. The roar was tremendous!
Caracal - Briefly in Kruger
Civet - Does that count?

Despite living in Kenya for two and a half years, only Lion (I was only 9 at the time).

Oh and Iberian Lynx on the Coto.

I've only seen two wild cats. And here they are!

Attachments

• Leopard_Yala_200710g.jpg
    Leopard_Yala_200710g.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 142
  • BobcatSF1a.jpg
    BobcatSF1a.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 179
jungle cat
tiger
leopard cat
lion
leopard
African wild cat
European wild cat
serval
cheetah
caracal
Iberian lynx

Shockingly I've never seen a cat anywhere in The Americas. Hope to rectify that soon.

While we're talking cats, perhaps I can line up some future twitches. We're do people think the best spot to see bobcats is? Also I'm going to be in Brazil next year, visiting Porto Joffre. If anyone can provide contact details for people who could take me looking for jaguar. One highly recommended guide is already fully booked for when I'll be there next August; so I'm keen to sort it out soon.

Also I'm going to be in Brazil next year, visiting Porto Joffre. If anyone can provide contact details for people who could take me looking for jaguar. One highly recommended guide is already fully booked for when I'll be there next August; so I'm keen to sort it out soon.

August is a busy period Steve, many of the guides will be booked a year in advance. Are you intending to stay at Porto Jofre? If so, why do you need a guide assuming that you are intending to hire out a boat and boatman (not cheap) as most of the boatmen know where to look and are very good at finding Jaguars. Eduardo at Jaguar ecolodge, which is north of Jofre but in an ideal situation, runs boat trips from Jofre. There are also several Jaguars 'around' his property which are regularly seen, often at night but two recently at the bridge only a hundred metres from his front gate at 11am. It is near to the Santa Isabel Rd, a dirt road through some forest which is one of the best spotlighting areas around offering excellent chances for smaller cats, particularly Ocelot. If you are really lucky there's an outside chance of Puma, Margay and Jaguarundi (diurnal) which have also been seen recently - http://www.jaguarreserve.com/

Feel free to PM with any queries.

I've no set intentions Mark, as it is far from clear, for independent travellers, what the best - and hopefully most economical - way is of seeing jaguar, and other cats, is. So I'm certainly open to any suggestions. I've emailed the Jaguar Lodge.

While we're talking cats, perhaps I can line up some future twitches. We're do people think the best spot to see bobcats is?

Bobcat sightings seem to be pretty random although many people seem to have luck around the national parks of California.

There was a female and cub living around Cave Creek Ranch near Portal, SE Arizona in 2009 although I failed to see them over the short period I visited the property. The cats were harassing the White-tailed Deer on the morning I left!

I would highly recommend Cave Creek Ranch to anyone visiting the area, and it’s the nearest to a Bobcat stakeout I’ve heard about.

My Bobcat sightings were both in Texas. One quickly crossed the road in front of my vehicle while I was driving through Big Bend NP late at night. Incidentally, this park has more than its fair share Mountain Lion sightings.

A few days later I was on a remote road north of Alpine when a cat ambled across the road in broad daylight. The ease the animal jumped the high stock fences bordering the road was amazing, as was the amount of Scaled Quails and Meadow Larks that flushed from the scrub once the Bobcat had crossed the track.

edit: The Cave Creek Bobcat is still around according to the website diary.

Last edited:
Bobcat sightings seem to be pretty random although many people seem to have luck around the national parks of California.

Exactly, my two Bobcats were both at random localities in California, neither in areas I particularly expected mammals of note and neither in national parks.

Bobcats were seen every day by someone during my 3 day stay at Rio Benson State Park along the Texas/Mexico border. I only saw one, and it was only the hindquarters, but other people had much better views, including an animal sleeping in the middle of the path. That park as well as some of the parks along the Texas coast (Aransas) must be the best places in the world for Bobcat.

How about Mountain Lions? Now those are much more difficult (at least in North America).

I seem to remember Richard Webb was attempting/has attempted to see all the world's cats. I'm not sure if he's ever on Bird Forum, but I'd love to know how he did. Especially if it got me some sights.

I seem to remember Richard Webb was attempting/has attempted to see all the world's cats. I'm not sure if he's ever on Bird Forum, but I'd love to know how he did. Especially if it got me some sights.

According to Surfbirds he has seen 27 cat species. Impressive but some way to go yet.

Exactly, my two Bobcats were both at random localities in California, neither in areas I particularly expected mammals of note and neither in national parks.

Mine too, up one of the canyon roads behind Monterey. I was looking for Wild Turkey (dipped) near dusk, and was put onto the cat by a couple of mobbing Scrub Jays.

John

Seen two very well - one in the campsite below Pinnacles National Monument in California (a good Lawrence's Goldfinch site - or was)

Was, if judging by my visit ;)

One of my Bobcats wasn't far from here, at the reservoir a few kilometres further north. I was standing one side of a gate, it walked straight past on the other side, just a few metres distant.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back