• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Costa Rica Flycatchers (1 Viewer)

crispycreme

Taken at Cahuita in April.

May be the same bird, may be two different birds of the same species, may be two different species. Pics taken less than 1/4 mile apart.

I was thinking Eastern & Western Wood-Pewees respectively?

I'm batting about .125 so I'm not confident of my guesses.

Attachments

• flycatchers.jpg
    flycatchers.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 30
Not giving any guesses, but: are eastern and western WP really possible to differentiate from photos with any confidence?

Niels

Not giving any guesses, but: are eastern and western WP really possible to differentiate from photos with any confidence?

Niels

Do either have such a yellow belly as on the second bird?

They clearly have different bill patterns which is a feature used in Garrigues?

A

From Birds of North America
Not safely separated from its sibling species, the Western Wood-Pewee (C. sordidulus), except by song

One more quote
Lower mandible of adult Eastern is less dark than that of the Western; dark color may be more extensive in Western. Separation is complicated by the presence of juvenile Eastern Wood-Pewees, which are generally darker below than adults and have dark bills.

Niels

Last edited:
The first looks like a good candidate for Western based on the dark coloration, bill, and posture BUT, nope, can't really be 100% certain unless the bird vocalizes.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back