• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Turnstones near Venice, California? (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a conference in Pasadena, CA this July, and I've treated myself to a couple of days in Venice Beach beforehand. I'd like to have a go at a day of local birding (I've never been to the US West Coast before, so should be a lot of lifers!), but I won't have access to a car or the 'Uber' thing so my transport options are limited.

My absolute #1 target bird is the Black Turnstone. I gather most of them will be in Alaska at this time but, in the UK certainly, we have a few Ruddy Turnstones that stick about year-round. Are there any accessible summer Black Turnstone (or, even less likely, Surfbird) colonies near Venice accessible by public transport? I've been looking at the coastal stretch near the Ballona Wetlands.

Thanks!

In the map Mike linked to, you can change the settings for which months to see if that help you with regards to figuring out where the birds are likely to be.

Public transportation in the US is almost always a problem. If you have a smartphone you could try to have a short term US SIM card with data and download the Uber app to make you a little more mobile. It is possible to get such a sim without a contract (but prepaid).

Niels

I think realistically I'm going to be limited to the immediate surroundings of central LA; looks like there is a wetlands area within walking distance of where I'm staying. Doesn't look like I'd be able to reach any of the sites with turnstone reported, but other West coast waders like Black Oystercatcher look a bit more accessible. Literally any North American birds not found on the East Coast will be new for me, so I'm sure I'll pick up some lifers anyhow :) . Thanks!

Hi all,
I have a conference in Pasadena, CA this July, and I've treated myself to a couple of days in Venice Beach beforehand. I'd like to have a go at a day of local birding (I've never been to the US West Coast before, so should be a lot of lifers!), but I won't have access to a car or the 'Uber' thing so my transport options are limited.

My absolute #1 target bird is the Black Turnstone. I gather most of them will be in Alaska at this time but, in the UK certainly, we have a few Ruddy Turnstones that stick about year-round. Are there any accessible summer Black Turnstone (or, even less likely, Surfbird) colonies near Venice accessible by public transport? I've been looking at the coastal stretch near the Ballona Wetlands.

Thanks!

Not sure about July, but I was in Venice Beach in early September a couple of years back. Black Turnstones were easy enough along the main beach; just walk along the tideline between Venice Beach pier and Santa Monica pier, and check around the rocky outcrops. Also Surfbirds, Western Willett etc. Although most won't have arrived back in CA yet, it'll be worth checking these regular haunts, just in case there are summering non-breeders.

Mark

Never learned to ride a bike I'm afraid, Nutcracker! My birding in the UK is done entirely by train, bus and walking. I'll certainly be looking along the beach for birds Mark; even Western gull would be a lifer ;)

Ooo that sounds interesting. I've not heard of this service? Is there a website? I only have one full day free and had planned to go do tourist stuff, but a trip with a local may sway my mind :)

Birding pal

Ooo that sounds interesting. I've not heard of this service? Is there a website? I only have one full day free and had planned to go do tourist stuff, but a trip with a local may sway my mind :)

I've used a few and have a couple of days booked with pals in Australia next month - you normally just meet the birding pals costs, fuel, meal etc.

http://birdingpal.org/
it now costs $10 for admin but just one day makes it worth it and you can also offer to take out people on your local patch.

Thanks all! Finally found black turnstones on a breakwater at the mouth of the Ballona Creek. Found surfbirds too!

Thanks all! Finally found black turnstones on a breakwater at the mouth of the Ballona Creek. Found surfbirds too!

Nice one. Surfbird is regular there around that breakwater, but I've never seen black turnstone in LA County. Hmm....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back