• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Albatrosses in the Straits of Magellan (Chile) (1 Viewer)

adampaul

I believe in God, only I spell it N.A.T.U.R.E. - F
Hi folks,

I took the following Albatross photos on a boat ride from Punta Arenas, Chile to Isla Magdalena in the Straits of Magellan in mid-March.

My best ID thus far is that they're Black-browed Albatross. The black back between the wings on the first photo would seem to rule out either of the Royal Albatrosses, and all 3 photos do appear to show something of a black eye stripe, and the fairly strong black margins of black on the underwing in the 2nd picture also suggest Black-browed.

The part I'm having trouble with is the description in Couvre & Vidal of the Black-browed Albatross as having "bill yellow with orange tip." These photos all to my eye show a pink'ish bill. These are the first/only Albatrosses I have seen, however, so I could be off.

The photos are not likely of the same individuals, as we saw quite a few of them.

What do you think?

Thanks!
-Adam-

Attachments

• adampaul-IMG_5984.jpg
    adampaul-IMG_5984.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 101
  • adampaul-IMG_6010.jpg
    adampaul-IMG_6010.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 90
  • adampaul-IMG_6030.jpg
    adampaul-IMG_6030.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 88
I have only seen albatrosses in Australia, which may mean different subspecies; Your 22 and 23 I would have called Black-browed right away. Your 21 I am not sure about. The brow is weaker but I am not sure if there is any other alternative in Chile.

Niels

They are Black-browed Albatrosses for me. Is the most common in the magellan strait area.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back