• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Regarding Nikon Se (1 Viewer)

There's a new listing...
A brand new 8X30 E2 ($598) directly from...you guessed it...JAPAN.
Maybe someone's figured out how to ship worldwide!

I just saw a few more E2's pop up...all directly from Japan.
Maybe they found a market!

Last edited:
I wonder whether these small differences we perceive are more to do with the brain rather than the eyes. Perhaps your sense of wellbeing on the nightjar watch might have affected your brain/eye combination in a different way than viewing a chart under more clinical conditions.

Stan

Could be, our subconscious mind often knows and feels things before the conscious mind has had a chance to catch up.

Been out wandering the woods with the EII's today, that wide FOV combined with all the sharpness and contrast of the SE's is really quite something.

Not sure I need two 8x32 SE's so one might go up for sale ..or I might just keep one for rainy day use, sort of as an experiment to see how it holds up, if it dissolves at least I know I've got a spare.

Could be, our subconscious mind often knows and feels things before the conscious mind has had a chance to catch up.

There have been psych studies that show people will percieve differences in taste of the same food if served with plastic spoons vs. silver spoons.

I wonder how blind visual tests will reveal if you didn't know the serial numbers.

I'm not saying that this group needs to have their heads examined, BTW. I'm just being science-y |=\|

SE Heresy

Each to one´s own and all that, but I simply don´t like the SE 8x32 that much. I´ve owned two, and four EII 8x30´s, and I think the latter is a far superior binocular. The SE has nice armouring and is nice to hold, but you need some kind of prehistoric brow-ridges, a forward-tilting head and upward-pointing eyeballs, and if you move your eyeballs a millimetre off-centre, you´re cast into darkness.
The EII´s, on the other hand, might look and feel a bit old-fashioned, but the view is the bino-addict´s version of opium (I imagine...I´ve never smoked opium). An argument for the SE is often the flat-field, but if you stop down the EII´s 8.8 degree field to the SE´s 7.6 degrees, you´d get just as flat a field. It´s a long time since I compared the two, but I remember thinking that the EII was actually a bit sharper in the centre than the SE. And nowadays, the SE is ridiculously over-priced for a fairly standard design non-waterproof binocular, whereas the EII can still be had for less than 300 sterling (if you know where to look). I suppose it depends on where and how you´ll use them, but I wouldn´t take either EII or SE on a rainy seawatch anyway.
Damn, I´ve just talked myself into buying another pair of EII´s. I must tell OH, she´ll stop me.
All the above is obviously IMHO, based only on units I owned, and I may have been eating porridge from a plastic bowl before testing.;)
I´ll come quietly to the Stake now, Torquemada.

Last edited:
Was out nightjar watching with the 550 SE's last night and they are indeed amazingly bright for 32mm , this got me thinking that I don't remember the 505's being quite this bright at late dusk so when I got home I did some more comparisons indoors reading print under very dim light but still got the same impressions that they are the identical. Not saying that there are not differences, just that if they are there they must be very subtle indeed and my eyes haven't spotted them yet during testing.

I noticed the same thing. I was actually disappointed in the 505's dusk/overcast day performance, and to my eyes, the images through the 8x EII's looked brighter. Henry and I had a famous debate about this. ;)

The 550s allow me to see more detail under lower lighting conditions than the 505s. The colors reflecting off the objectives are different between the two models. I posted some pix of those a while back.

There's no question that the 505 and 550's coatings are different, but apparently whether or not this makes a noticeable difference in the field is in the eye (or brain) of the beholder.

Brock

Each to one´s own and all that, but I simply don´t like the SE 8x32 that much..

Sancho,

You and I are frequently on the same frequency. On the SE and Laphroiag we seem to agree. [My last house guest brought Glenmorangie, from which I am still drawing my occasional half gill].

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:B :)

Sancho - Time for the thumb screws. I believe ergonomics has more to do with the choice between the SE 8x32 and 8x30 EII. I'm an eye glass wearer 24/7. It just happens that pressed against my glasses, the 8x32 gives the full field without the blackouts.

I also happen to have very large hands which simply engulf the 8x30. I find it awkward to use, but recognize that is an individual preference and nothing more. Twain was quoted as saying ," It is a difference of opinion that makes a horse race." But it is not an opinion to say the 8x32 is the more rugged if the two. It simply is. How is an exit pupil of 3.75 mm superior to one of 4 mm for eye alignment? .25 isn't much but it is more.

Every 8x30 EII i have had & used sheds it covering. This also is true of the EII 10x35 (which may be the best of the whole series, SE and EII) The SE covering is stable. It is there to stay, rain or shine.

John

Hi John, I like the Twain quotation! Very apt. Yes, you´re right, the SE is definitely a nicer bino to hold, the most comfortable porro I´ve encountered. I also agree that the EII 10x35 is a superb bino, my favourite 10x that I´ve ever had too. Sold that too. What the hell is wrong with us?;)

Sancho, generally you stand for all that is sane on BF, and I recall you stating that your last 8x30E II purchase would be final--you were keeping this one. What madness SVs drive people to.

Me, Nikon took my EIIs away ("couldn't fix them") and upgraded them to SEs, but not a day goes by that I don't miss some aspect of my EIIs. I'm currently casting about in local bird clubs for a used pair; maybe I'll get lucky.

David

The gray body EIIs are like snakes, they shed their skin. ;)

Fortunately, the black body version doesn't have that problem. It has another problem, the armoring is sticky and collects schmutz that's hard to clean off. Not recommended for Wayne Mones and other birders who like to "Eat 'N Bird."

The 8x EIIs are stubby and do not balance well in my hands, or at least they didn't before I added Bushwackers, now they feel great.

<B>

Sancho, generally you stand for all that is sane on BF, and I recall you stating that your last 8x30E II purchase would be final--you were keeping this one. What madness SVs drive people to.

Me, Nikon took my EIIs away ("couldn't fix them") and upgraded them to SEs, but not a day goes by that I don't miss some aspect of my EIIs. I'm currently casting about in local bird clubs for a used pair; maybe I'll get lucky.

David

I would never send one of my EIIs to Nikon for repair work for fear they would replace it with an SE.

What were the problems your EIIs had?

If the covers are coming off they can be easily re-glued with Loktite Glue and it will hold out for a year or more before it needs to be done again and that's with heavy use; with light use it will last longer. The glue comes in small bottles with a small brush in the lid. There are different kinds of glue for different repairs. I do that with mine every now and then. But I do it in segments. For instance, I'll repair the top half on the prism cover and then repair the bottom half later. Depends on which half is in worse shape.

Collimation problems can be fixed easily in the Boston area. There is a binocular repairman there who specializes in Swift Porro Prisms. I forget his name but he should be able to collimate a Nikon E2. Somebody here will be able to tell you how to contact him.

Other damage would have to be pretty serious to replace one with an SE. Cory Suddarth in Oklahoma also does first rate work.

Bob

Last edited:
I would never send one of my EIIs to Nikon for repair work for fear they would replace it with an SE.

What were the problems your EIIs had?

If the covers are coming off they can be easily re-glued with Loktite Glue and it will hold out for a year or more before it needs to be done again and that's with heavy us; with light use it will last longer. The glue comes in small bottles with a small brush in the lid. There are different kind of glue for different repairs. I do that with mine every now and then. But I do it in segments. For instance, I'll repair the top half on the prism cover and then repair the bottom half later. Depends on which half is in worse shape.

Collimation problems can be fixed easily in the Boston area. There is a binocular repairman there who specializes in Swift Porro Prisms. I forget his name but he should be able to collimate a Nikon E2. Somebody here will be able to tell you how to contact him.

Other damage would have to be pretty serious to replace one with an SE. Cory Suddarth in Oklahoma also does first rate work.

Bob

Bob:

If Nikon replaced the EII with an SE, under warranty, I think that
would be a good thing. I find the SE to be a better binocular.

The SE is regarded by most here in cult status, the EII is not.

I am just referring to my choice in these 2 great binoculars.

My search at Amazon, Japan, shows the 8x30 and 10x35 EII's are
available, but the SE's are mostly gone or not priced right.

Jerry

I doubt they´d do that these days, Bob. The SE costs about twice the EII, no?

Nope, not anymore. Since EIIs are rarer than a four-leaf clover in the US, the cost has increased. I paid $550 + shipping for my new black body 8x30 EII. Adorama is selling the 8x32 SE for $659 + shipping.

When you consider the optical quality is very similar, you realize that the 8x30 EIIs were a steal back when they first came out and sold for about $350. The SE is built more robustly and they have field flatteners, so their higher price is justified.

<B>

Last edited:
Sancho & Brock - I let so many 8x30 II Es slip through my fingers (when they first came out), I now have bino remorse, a strange malady for sure. I've told the story before how a friend literally begged me to sell him my remaining pair - for $200. I did. Can't find them on Ebay for under $500 or in pawn shops anymore. And, I really want one now!

He won't sell them back to me. He reminds me of another quotation - from Grover Cleveland, "Every time I make a political appointment, I create 9 enemies and 1 ingrate."

John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back