• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Regarding Nikon Se (1 Viewer)

I received the Nikon EDG 8x32 from EO today. My first impressions after looking through them for just a few minutes are that they have no "sweet spot". As others have said, they are clear and in focus all the way to the edge of the view. And the detail you can see through them is amazing. Excellent build quality, and nice to look at. The WOW factor is definitely there. These are keepers. I can't wait to compare them to the SEs. Really really nice binoculars. More to follow as I get more time with them.

As the old saying goes ..... "Seeing is believing"!

It is great to hear you are impressed with the 8X32 EDG. I'm looking forward to hearing your comments on the EDG and SE after you have had a chance to get familiar with both.

A Little off topic, I put in what I thought was a low bid on eBay for a pair of Nikon 8x32 EDG. I was surprised when I won the auction from Eagle Optics for $1025. EDG II 8x32. So I'll have the SE and EDG in 8x32 for less than the MSRP of the EDG alone. I'm a happy camper!

So You were the one! I had the sole bid on that until about 30 seconds before it expired and I was outbid--now I know by whom. 8-P

Seriously: I hope you enjoy it and let is know how you like them after a while!

Having had them for a few days now, I continue to be impressed. I have never owned what would be considered an alpha bino, but now I know what the view looks like through one of them. Pretty amazing. The focus and diopter mechanism on these is almost perfect. But in the end I keep going back to what the view through them looks like and WOW they are good. I'm looking forward now to the 8x32 SE so I can compare them. How can they improve on the EDGs??

Having had them for a few days now, I continue to be impressed. I have never owned what would be considered an alpha bino, but now I know what the view looks like through one of them. Pretty amazing. The focus and diopter mechanism on these is almost perfect. But in the end I keep going back to what the view through them looks like and WOW they are good. I'm looking forward now to the 8x32 SE so I can compare them. How can they improve on the EDGs??

Good to hear you like your new binocular. The EDG is very good, and
you are also in for a treat with the SE.

If you like to search back here on BF, I have reported my findings on comparing both.

The EDG is better is many ways, but the SE has its own fine points.

Jerry

Apologies Tantien...

No worries! I'd be in deep doo doo with she who will not be named if I'd gotten/won both the Nikon SE and the EDG. So in a way, you saved my butt. 3:)

As it is, I am really happy with the SE and consider it a keeper--until I am desparate enough to sell it for an Alpha of my dreams.

Fold down Eye-cups

So, not having these for very long, I am wondering (being an eyeglass wearer) how durable the rubber is on the SE eyecups since I have to fold them down each time I use them with glasses.

Do they crack? And if they do, which I assume they must eventually, is there an easy repair that Nikon will make? Or are they pretty durable?

Just looking for feedback on your experience with them.

Thanks all.

So, not having these for very long, I am wondering (being an eyeglass wearer) how durable the rubber is on the SE eyecups since I have to fold them down each time I use them with glasses.

Do they crack? And if they do, which I assume they must eventually, is there an easy repair that Nikon will make? Or are they pretty durable?

Just looking for feedback on your experience with them.

Thanks all.

You'll find several old threads on this. As someone who has a range of bins with fold-down cups, my quick answers are that Nikon eyecups are particularly prone to cracking (unlike, e.g. Zeiss) if you don't take preventative measures. However, if you treat them with Armor All (original formula), I have found that they will last many years. Nikon has supplied replacement eyecups on/off over the years. You might consider finding out if they are currently available and getting some spares to put in storage. I went through several eyecups in a few years on my Nikon bins and fieldscope eyepieces before I discovered Armor All, but have yet to need to replace one in the ~10+ years since, so I feel very confident that my back-up supply will last me for decades to come. Incidentally, I treat mine on the bin, then fold them down, treat them in that stretched position, then leave them folded down since I always wear glasses. Paint the Armor All on with a cotton swab or similar, then let dry overnight, then wipe away excess. I treat every 6-12 months depending on use/abrasion.

--AP

Last edited:
To continue on the SE eyecup question ........

Assuming one can get some spares from Nikon, is the replacement something that can be easily done at home by the owner, or would most be better off to send the SE back to Nikon for the eyecup replacement?

To continue on the SE eyecup question ........

Assuming one can get some spares from Nikon, is the replacement something that can be easily done at home by the owner, or would most be better off to send the SE back to Nikon for the eyecup replacement?

They are one-piece rubber that just stretch slightly to fit over the ocular. Takes a few seconds to do yourself, no tools needed.

--AP

You'll find several old threads on this. As someone who has a range of bins with fold-down cups, my quick answers are that Nikon eyecups are particularly prone to cracking (unlike, e.g. Zeiss) if you don't take preventative measures. However, if you treat them with Armor All (original formula), I have found that they will last many years. Nikon has supplied replacement eyecups on/off over the years. You might consider finding out if they are currently available and getting some spares to put in storage. I went through several eyecups in a few years on my Nikon bins and fieldscope eyepieces before I discovered Armor All, but have yet to need to replace one in the ~10+ years since, so I feel very confident that my back-up supply will last me for decades to come. Incidentally, I treat mine on the bin, then fold them down, treat them in that stretched position, then leave them folded down since I always wear glasses. Paint the Armor All on with a cotton swab or similar, then let dry overnight, then wipe away excess. I treat every 6-12 months depending on use/abrasion.

--AP

Thank you Alexis! Really appreciate the detailed information. Hope to be using these SEs for quite some time and this appears to be a small price to pay.

BTW: I just wrote Nikon USA CS to see if they will send another set or what they'd charge for a pair of replacement rubber eye-cups. Will post their response here.

SE Eye Cups

Alexis .... Thanks for that information. I like your idea of having some spares. I did something similar for the plastic neck strap clips on my prior gen Bushnell Elites. Once they are gone ... they are gone!

Tantien ..... Looks like you addressed my next question! I am looking forward to hearing what you find out.

I've read that all thee SE models (8, 10, 12X) have the same prism housing. Is it correct to assume they all use the same eye pieces and thus the same eye cup?

Alexis .... Thanks for that information. I like your idea of having some spares. I did something similar for the plastic neck strap clips on my prior gen Bushnell Elites. Once they are gone ... they are gone!

Tantien ..... Looks like you addressed my next question! I am looking forward to hearing what you find out.

I've read that all thee SE models (8, 10, 12X) have the same prism housing. Is it correct to assume they all use the same eye pieces and thus the same eye cup?

BruceH: I know exactly what you mean about the plastic clips for the Elite, I did the same thing for the clips on the last generation of B&L Elite.

The eyecup for all SE models is indeed the same.

To Tantien and others who attempt to order the eyecups, I seem to remember that I had to get them from a Nikon facility in NY rather than the usual parts/repair facility in CA because they were considered an "accessory" and not a "part". Until I figured that out, the folks I talked to at Nikon weren't sure it was possible to get the eyecups. Others have ordered them more recently, so maybe this is easier now than it used to be. Again, they've gone in and out of stock. I remember placing an order and having to wait a couple months or so for it to be fulfilled.

--AP

Last edited:
A few years ago I ordered 2 pair of SE eyecups from the CA facility. It took a few months for Nikon to get some in stock. I had completely forgotten about them and then, voila, they arrived in the mail. Turns out I sold the SE's before I ever needed replacements though. Five bucks a piece as I recall. Just be patient.

I would remove the cups and treat them all over with Armor All, wait a day, wipe off any excess and reinstall. They should last a good long time that way.

Tantien, since you wear glasses you might try this trick if you're prone to blackouts with the SE's: roll down the eyecups half way. They stay there quite well and give you a bit more eye relief if you need it.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back