• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

waxwings (1 Viewer)

shutter bug

I see there have been some sightings of waxwings in Yorkshire but I don't know just where. Has anyone seen any in the Bradford area? Ilooked out for them all last winter but didn't see one, I hope to be lucky this year so please post if you see them.:-O

Thanks for the link James can't believe there was a flock sighter about 5mins walk from my house. Guess who is going to be out at the crack of dawn tomorrow???

Oh woe is me. I have been out all morning and not a feather of a waxwing have I seen.

If it is a feather you seek, PM me your address and one shall be sent, with waxy blob or without - I have a few from a year past, when an unfortunate made a crashing blow into a window :eek!:

Oh woe is me however, a full Waxwing in all its glory not available by mail order. Out onto those streets you must continue to plod ;)

Had a shopping trip to meadow hall and thought i might try for the waxwings on the way back ,checked out the rba map on here from an internet place at the moll ,parked up in shefield walked round for an hour no sign i think the crowds had frigtened them of ?:C

Had a shopping trip to meadow hall and thought i might try for the waxwings on the way back ,checked out the rba map on here from an internet place at the moll ,parked up in shefield walked round for an hour no sign i think the crowds had frigtened them of ?:C

you went to meadowhell this time of year you're a braver man than me.

it seems to me that the map on here is pretty good for giving you a warning that something is in an area, but i always check my local birding site to get a more accurate idea on exactly where they are.

though i don't know of one for sheff

I followed the birdguides report and called at Sticker Lane in Bradford this morning and managed to pick up a flock of around 300 waxwings. They were pretty mobile but settled long enough for a good clear view. These birds appear to have been around for a little while now, so are probably worth a try.

I see there have been some sightings of waxwings in Yorkshire but I don't know just where. Has anyone seen any in the Bradford area? Ilooked out for them all last winter but didn't see one, I hope to be lucky this year so please post if you see them.:-O

There were initially 25 then up to 100 in Headingley this afternoon. Grove Lane/Balbec Avenue Area.

Last edited:
What time is best to see these Waxwings? I spent from about 1.30pm onwards trying to find them near Keighley a couple of weeks back and had no luck, just got a tip off that there's a load of them in Shipley Asda and Ilkley town centre recently but I don't have anyone to go with today, argh!
Plus I don't know whether it's too late in the day or not now, it feels like everyone is seeing waxwings but me!

What time is best to see these Waxwings? I spent from about 1.30pm onwards trying to find them near Keighley a couple of weeks back and had no luck, just got a tip off that there's a load of them in Shipley Asda and Ilkley town centre recently but I don't have anyone to go with today, argh!
Plus I don't know whether it's too late in the day or not now, it feels like everyone is seeing waxwings but me!

Hi again,regarding the waxwings.I find the best way to see them is to identify the call which is a a series of light,repetative jingling notes.The silouette is very starling like,so allways check birds in flight if you hear the jingling youve got the waxwings.Cheers DS.B :)

Thanks but also, what time of day? Also trust me, I've been watching every starling-like bird in the sky without fail!

Hi.I really dont think time of day matters.Its a case of right place right time.Another top place is keighley sainsburys car park.Look for Rowan trees or cotoneaster or any berry bearing shrubs!!

Hi Articuno,

A couple of weeks back, I felt like you - I live and work in the middle of a waxwing hot spot, but couldn't find one no matter where I went.

I know it's not one of the big flocks, but I did get to watch a small group of four waxwing in Keighley yesterday morning - see attached map.

This is in the Stockbridge area of Keighley, just off the B6265 as you leave Keighley heading for Riddlesden. The birds rest and preen in the ash tree A, and (generally in pairs) fly across the road to the feed in the berry-laden trees B. There's some disturbance around there, lots of shoppers going to B&Q, plus vehicles using the adjacent council waste site; but the birds seem happy in their routine. They were seen first a couple of weeks back, so they seem settled. Reported in the mornings only, AFAIK, but that may be due to people looking in the mornings only.

Hope that helps.

Nick

Attachments

• waxwings1.jpg
    waxwings1.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Wow THANKS! Absolutely ANY detailed info on waxwing locations is helpful to me! I remember when I was 10 years old and I got my first birdbook.. I thought I'd never, ever see a waxwing in my life, now I am determined to find them!

This weekend I may be around North Yorkshire instead but I'll definitely see about checking hotspots here before I leave ;>

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back