• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic HDC-S90 Camcorder (1 Viewer)

Sandpiper

Mike Powell
Panasonic HDC-SD90 Camcorder

Does anyone use the above model for videoscoping? I would be interested to know how it performs regarding vignetting and image quality.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I can now answer my own question after purchasing the above camcorder.

Due to the zoom characteristics of the lens severe vignetting is present when using it on my Swarovski ATS80HD scope with 20-60x eyepiece and DCA making it unusable for videoscoping.

With the same scope and EagleEye 12x Digiscoping Eyepiece vignetting is still a major problem but I am able to obtain a vignetting-free image at just below maximum optical zoom on the camcorder. However, the very high magnification makes it unsuitable for all but extreme range videoscoping in a calm, distortion-free environment. In other words, very rarely!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear that your camcorder is unusable for videscoping. But I suggest to find a way to shorten the distance between camcorder's front glass and eyepieces outer glass. This may be a pinhole add on lens or screw out the outer plastic part of camcorder glass or eyepiece. One unusual idea that you can try: add a wide angle add on between eyepiece and camcorder's lens. But you have to add it reverse, I mean the back lens of wide angle add on should kiss the eyepiece glass. This will change the optical costruction of the system (and exit pupil of telescope so that wigetting may gone depending on the wide angle add on that you use). Good luck.

Murat Ozcelik

Hi Murat,

Thanks for your suggestions, I will try out your ideas with the lenses and attachments that I have got.

Best wishes,

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back